Model Cars Magazine Forum

Packing built models so they survive a move?

I'm in the middle of moving back to California now - ended up using various methods to pack 100-150 builtups, promos, and Franklin/Danbury cars. Many went into 1-gallon freezer bags, then into cartons with corrugated cardboard glass dividers. The more delicate/unfinished ones were bagged, with separate bags for loose parts, then put into individual heavy cardboard boxes which went into the big cartons along with the unbuilt kits. Wish me luck - they're enroute now and there's some real hot weather coming... :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I have started the whole moving project now and did a test run with a few models.
I got some movingboxes and a roll of bubblewrap.
Also found out i only can get 4 trucks in one box so there are room for other smaller models in the left over space in the box.

Put the bubblewrap on the bottom of the boxes and then put down a few truck models in them and after that i took some more bubblewrap and put between the models and box to lock them in so they could not move or touch eachother.
It worked and none of the trucks i used as a test got  any damage at all.
I also tried with the most fragile of them all (Mack wrecker) and no damage at all.

Now all i have to figure out is how to pack the trailers i have for some of them.
They are to long to fit in the movingboxes so i am thinking that i have to wrap them in bubblewrap and pack them standing up.
The ships and oilrigg will be "interesting" to pack and move..

For now they will have to stay in the boxes untill i have them where i want them so i can unpack them and put them on shelfs again.

Yes, good luck Pierre!

Hope you get some out on display again soon Chris.

Having spent most of my recent spare time bundling-up quite a few thousand old car magazines and getting them down to a rented 20' storage container along with books, brochures, my children's old toys and random stuff from the house that we probably shouldn't have kept/still be keeping, I shall be moving onto the models and diecasts this weekend. As our move is very local I don't have to worry about them surviving a long road trip or being handled by the removal guys, but I'll still be using plenty of bubble wrap etc.

I have some spare space in my office, might even get them down there so they're completely separate - I'd hate for them to suffer due to an avalanche of inexpertly stacked 1970s magazines!

• 1 month later...

I am finally done woth the move and there were only small damage to some of the models but those vere the ones that was to big to fit inside a box so the had to stand by al of the other boxes in my suburban.
Now to try and find everything again...
Sofar i only seem to have lost a peterbilt conversion kit from aitm because i cant find it right now and have no idea of what box it might be packed in or where that box is at the moment..
The worst part is that we have so many buildings now that we have put our stuff in so i dont even know where to begin looking for it because those that helped us move stuff took box after box and put it somwhere while we were moving furniture in to the house.

Me and my girlfriend were able to buy a farm that has been in her family for over 240 years now and no one really knows when it was first built.
There are a few dates in or on some of the buildings but its not certain that the farm looks the same now as it did in the beginning with where all the buildings sits now.
Here are a few photos of some of the dates we found on the walls of some of the buildings.
The scoop thing we found just laying around in one of the buildings.

Date on one of the barns:
20210902_184259.thumb.jpg.f83975baf2b20a1b9bd514a5ff9c430c.jpg

Date in the "main
" barn (not sure if we should belive it)
The words in swedish means someting like A.D
20210904_135901.thumb.jpg.39b30f64d73aa19a3ec866ea48273db8.jpg

Foundation of the house
1881 so sometime the old house was replaced and this was built:
20210914_190206.thumb.jpg.ce6da5d3e42d972c092d13bd80309675.jpg

Scoop thing:

20211016_205922.thumb.jpg.4d12d4f2585833284c45ced92399d4f7.jpg
20211016_205908.thumb.jpg.6a6e299882c3eb4267782b9f4d3c29b8.jpg

On 10/16/2021 at 8:27 PM, PierreR89 said:

I am finally done woth the move and there were only small damage to some of the models but those vere the ones that was to big to fit inside a box so the had to stand by al of the other boxes in my suburban.
Now to try and find everything again...

An interesting looking place there Pierre, and well done for moving everything OK.

My built models are still in storage at the office, but after we moved into the new place last month and I started to build shelves and get the garage tidied up I brought most of the unbuilt kits home at the weekend:

IMG_8002.thumb.JPG.f106d2897d7fca4a8d151a27aa6ca161.JPG

IMG_8012.thumb.JPG.1fcc3528a16af4f3e14556ab24a026c0.JPG

Just got the last 30-40 to go.

At the moment it's still something of a WIP in here - I painted the blockwork side walls white but the rest of the floor needs to be painted, three more shelves built (plus a load more extending up into the loft) and a big sort-out and tidy-up to be undertaken. Also, these aren't the shelves they'll sit on, but I needed to bring the kits back and they'll be safe there for the moment.

The timber shelves above are primarily for my magazine/brochure collection, there'll also be a load of ex-shop shelf units where all that stuff is in the middle of the floor. No room for another 1:1 car in there - I had to sell four to make this move work! At least I can keep my favourite Datsun undercover.

Not yet sure how or where built stuff will be displayed. I'm hoping to get a cabinet up on the wall of my half of the study/studio/hobby room inside the house, perhaps including some storage space for WIPs, tools and materials and maybe one or two prized unbuilt kits.

Edited by Spottedlaurel