Model Cars Magazine Forum

The new “reaction button” makes no sense

Venom

I’m on iPad... when I press the button it gives me a choice of a trophy and about two silly faces, while at least one more face remains hidden behind the big grey dot. Reguardless of which one I select, nothing appears to have happened, so I touch the little “x” and it will tell me that my reaction has been removed even though I never saw my reaction appear anywhere.

I just had a message pop up that said “someone has reacted to your post in (such and such topic)”... so I went and looked for the reaction in that topic and there is simply a number “1” in the lower right hand corner of the screen which tells my absolutely nothing about anything. It makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, youpey said:

i see the same stuff you are. however, i am just going to ignore it. i dont want to "chase hearts" as my wife calls it

Agreed.... But my curious personality is tormented by the little number “1”.... what in the world does it mean?🤔🤨😕

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Venom said:

Agreed.... But my curious personality is tormented by the little number “1”.... what in the world does it mean?🤔🤨😕

doesnt it mean 1 reaction, either positive, negative or whichever the choices are?

1 minute ago, youpey said:

doesnt it mean 1 reaction, either positive, negative or whichever the choices are?

Yeah... I guess you just have to guess whether it is a good reaction or a bad one...🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Venom said:

Yeah... I guess you just have to guess whether it is a good reaction or a bad one...🙄

We can test it. If you give me a bad reaction to my post, i can give a good one to yours and we can see if its the same 

I gave yours a sad, thanks and like, in that order

Edited by youpey
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, youpey said:

We can test it. If you give me a bad reaction to my post, i can give a good one to yours and we can see if its the same 

I gave yours a sad, thanks and like, in that order

I just now gave yours the “trophy”.... and here’s a screen shot of both after the reactions were made...

5E9363AA-69D5-41A8-A12D-E185F5F1A658.png.e8d58269456364d55b81eb8c4c43027e.png

• Thanks 1

Yes the green 1 is all there is, and then the “bell” notice it the top of page (as seen in screenshot) has a number 3, and when I touch/click it, it shows that “somebody”, assuming that was you, has responded. But when I click either response it just takes me to the topic as shown in the (above) screenshot. Just dumb.

37539BCB-E918-483E-93F6-209FB9204210.jpeg.9d2a08296830e1bc01d498f8a628832a.jpeg

Edited by Venom
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it be just as easy to type something short, like "Nice" or "Cool" instead of goofing around with these Facebook style "likes"?

I never put much weight in those things.

I don't pay much attention to "likes" on Facebook and I never use them myself.

If I have something to say, I'll say it.

If not, I'll just leave it alone.

I'm not interested in keeping score.

Steve

If you want to get technical, the "likes" are the easier option since it's one click versus clicking in the box, typing your text, then clicking Submit. The nice thing is if you don't care for the system, you don't have to use it and you can ignore the notifications for it. You can still reply to a post with text, just as you did before, nothing has changed in that regard.

I do agree that so far, this system is strange in that it gives options for responses, but yet only shows a number next to the heart icon especially when the notifications only show that someone reacted to your post.

52 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Wouldn't it be just as easy to type something short, like "Nice" or "Cool" instead of goofing around with these Facebook style "likes"?

Steve

I agree absolutely!👍

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

If you want to get technical, the "likes" are the easier option since it's one click versus clicking in the box, typing your text, then clicking Submit.

You're correct, it is easier.

It's also impersonal and lazy if you ask me.

If I "like" something, I'll tell you so and then possibly offer a reason or two why I like it.

In my opinion, "likes" don't carry a lot of value.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

I agree you've summed it well.

I also find it amusing that the default setup is so lame. However I think its working just fine as I think the concept is silly.

It is also amusing that the people that don't care for it more vocal than the ones that want it.

Well, there really is only a small amount of the registered members that actually post or reply as it is. This button may at least let the 1000's of lookers participate a little more. Maybe they will get around to actually posting at some point.

We understand that some of you don't like the "Like Button". Don't use it, continue to participate how you chose. Some new members may like the ease of hitting a button to let you know they visited your post. Maybe we get some more traffic to the site.

Maybe we generate a little more ad revenue to pay for the server and keep the site operating for free. There is always a small, very vocal, group that chimes in on every single change that is made to this site. It is not going to remain static.

We are going to make (or experiment with) different functions to see if they make the site better for the majority of the folks or if it helps with the running/maintaining of the site. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't a benefit to others, including the owner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

OK, since this silly system is here to stay (at least for now), how do we see who gave what reaction in my posts or posts made by others?

I just gave confused reaction to your post and I see it, but what do others see?  By the same token, some of my posts have a green square with a number on it, but that is all that shows.  The square is not clickable so I don't know what type of reaction was given and by who.  At least when someone replies with a post, I can see what they said (good or bad) and who said it.

Or is this system designed for all the reactions to only be visible to the people that reacted.  That would be *REALLY* dumb.

10 hours ago, Venom said:

I’m on iPad... when I press the button it gives me a choice of a trophy and about two silly faces, while at least one more face remains hidden behind the big grey dot. Reguardless of which one I select, nothing appears to have happened, so I touch the little “x” and it will tell me that my reaction has been removed even though I never saw my reaction appear anywhere.

I just had a message pop up that said “someone has reacted to your post in (such and such topic)”... so I went and looked for the reaction in that topic and there is simply a number “1” in the lower right hand corner of the screen which tells my absolutely nothing about anything. It makes no sense.

Great!... now there’s a “2”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Venom said:

Thank you... It’s good that you wrote it in a sentence or I would have never known.👍

Just messing around with the new features to see how useful/useless they are.  So far the results are not very promising (but maybe we don't have the secret decoder ring). :blink:  So all you see is green squares with a number? NO way to tell what reactions were given, and who gave them, right?  Not very useful.

Edited by peteski

9 hours ago, peteski said:

OK, since this silly system is here to stay (at least for now), how do we see who gave what reaction in my posts or posts made by others?

I just gave confused reaction to your post and I see it, but what do others see?  By the same token, some of my posts have a green square with a number on it, but that is all that shows.  The square is not clickable so I don't know what type of reaction was given and by who.  At least when someone replies with a post, I can see what they said (good or bad) and who said it.

Or is this system designed for all the reactions to only be visible to the people that reacted.  That would be *REALLY* dumb.

I believe Dave has it set so you cannot see who reacted to your post. I believe it is tied to a function that we do not want to activate. We are still learning how the system works and Dave is trying to see if we can get things set the way we want for this board. I am sure Dave will make a formal announcement of how things work, if we decide to keep this feature.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Xingu said:

Well, there really is only a small amount of the registered members that actually post or reply as it is. This button may at least let the 1000's of lookers participate a little more. Maybe they will get around to actually posting at some point.

We understand that some of you don't like the "Like Button". Don't use it, continue to participate how you chose. Some new members may like the ease of hitting a button to let you know they visited your post. Maybe we get some more traffic to the site.

Maybe we generate a little more ad revenue to pay for the server and keep the site operating for free. There is always a small, very vocal, group that chimes in on every single change that is made to this site. It is not going to remain static.

We are going to make (or experiment with) different functions to see if they make the site better for the majority of the folks or if it helps with the running/maintaining of the site. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't a benefit to others, including the owner.

I myself am not adverse to change. The redesign of the board definitely was an improvement.

Hopefully any changes with help the board survive and not contribute to its demise.

I was against adding a Like button because on Facebook it limits real communications. I’ve got posts on Facebook model boards that have 50 Likes and not a single comment. 

Now that we have it, it would be nice to see who liked your model or post. Otherwise useless!

I do agree that the board owner should investigate any means that would increase readership, thus revenue.  I don’t want to see it go to a mandatory paid site. A stamp collectors board I’m a member of recently went that route.. a site like this with thousands of members suddenly has 325 paid members.  Activity has all but dried up. There hasn’t been a post in the categories I follow in weeks.

I would like to see a Donate function, where people could voluntarily donate money for the board’s upkeep.