Model Cars Magazine Forum

The new “reaction button” makes no sense

Venom

I'm not giving anything away with these comments, but there have been discussions along this line, and I can confidently tell you that there are no plans at all to make this site a mandatory paid membership site. That would kill the board for sure, and no one wants that.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:53 PM, peteski said:

OK, since this silly system is here to stay (at least for now), how do we see who gave what reaction in my posts or posts made by others?

I just gave confused reaction to your post and I see it, but what do others see?  By the same token, some of my posts have a green square with a number on it, but that is all that shows.  The square is not clickable so I don't know what type of reaction was given and by who.  At least when someone replies with a post, I can see what they said (good or bad) and who said it.

Or is this system designed for all the reactions to only be visible to the people that reacted.  That would be *REALLY* dumb.

You should be able to see them now. 

• Confused 1

The regular emoji list seems to be used quite often, I very rarely use it just out of not being bothered to, but they disappear after a while leaving just "?" a question mark. I've noticed on old posts where someone might have put a thumb up emoji has now turned in to a question mark making the person who posted it seem like he's confused about the build in some way! Lol

4 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

The regular emoji list seems to be used quite often, I very rarely use it just out of not being bothered to, but they disappear after a while leaving just "?" a question mark. I've noticed on old posts where someone might have put a thumb up emoji has now turned in to a question mark making the person who posted it seem like he's confused about the build in some way! Lol

I noticed that happened right after the last system upgrade. I think that during the upgrade the emojis all got wiped out somehow.

Just now, Venom said:

I noticed that happened right after the last system upgrade. I think that during the upgrade the emojis all got wiped out somehow.

ah, could be. I did wonder for a while why some people left question marks, I thought I might have posted in the wrong section or said something that offended someone, Lol.

47 minutes ago, Venom said:

From the long list of forum's built-in emojis I always use the ones from the _default set.  Those are the ones that were around since before the upgrades.  They seem to all still be available and visible. Like these: :D;):):blink::(:P

1 hour ago, peteski said:

From the long list of forum's built-in emojis I always use the ones from the _default set.  Those are the ones that were around since before the upgrades.  They seem to all still be available and visible. Like these: :D;):):blink::(:P

Yeah, they still work, it's just the ones from before the update, if it was that, that seemed to have timed out. I'll add a 'laughing smiley' just to confuse anyone who sees this thread in a few years and all that's left is question marks!😆

33 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Yeah, they still work, it's just the ones from before the update, if it was that, that seemed to have timed out. I'll add a 'laughing smiley' just to confuse anyone who sees this thread in a few years and all that's left is question marks!😆

That "new" smiley has been around since few updates ago.  I don't like or use that set of emoticons because they are too small (on my screen) and just black/white.  The ones from the _default set are nicer: larger and have some color.  To be honest, I really don't think we need that huge set of emoticons brought in some time ago.  Very few of those ever get used on the forum.

That's not just any trophy, it's a thanks for participating trophy.

I think Dave is looking at other available reactions to either add to or replace the default ones. The trophy doesn't really make sense, I would like to know the rationale behind it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's also impersonal and lazy if you ask me.

If I "like" something, I'll tell you so and then possibly offer a reason or two why I like it.

In my opinion, "likes" don't carry a lot of value.

THIS.

• Confused 1

On 6/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Xingu said:

That's not just any trophy, it's a thanks for participating trophy.

I think Dave is looking at other available reactions to either add to or replace the default ones. The trophy doesn't really make sense, I would like to know the rationale behind it.

I gave out a couple trophies to people who said something that really made my day.

Anything that’s so well said could be deserving of a trophy.