Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mack Cruise-Liner

Thanks, she's coming along pretty fast. I've decided to do the cab in the multi coloured livery, what colour would look best for the frame? I'm thinking black, but would it be gloss, satin, or matt? The other colour I'm thinking about is blue, the same shade as the blue stripe on the cab. Any thoughts?

mack cabover.jpg

Edited by doorsovdoon

When I paint my truck frames, I generally go with a Semi-Gloss Black, if I'm doing black.  I know from the factory, truck frames are painted gloss colors, but I figure that they probably don't get "washed & waxed" as often as the cabs.  Matching blue would look great.

20 hours ago, Jim B said:

When I paint my truck frames, I generally go with a Semi-Gloss Black, if I'm doing black.  I know from the factory, truck frames are painted gloss colors, but I figure that they probably don't get "washed & waxed" as often as the cabs.  Matching blue would look great.

Cheers, James. Semi gloss black sounds good, but then matching blue sounds just as good, lol. I don't have a semi gloss blue and my last semi build had a blue frame, I think semi gloss black has won the toss.

31 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

This is what happens when you ask for color recommendations but it’s just between blue and black. What about going with a white frame?

oh no, too bright. I haven't seen many white framed trucks except maybe brand new DAF trucks. Anyway, I've just given the frame a light coat of black, so if I choose blue it'll give nice shadows, if black, I only have to give it a light once over.

Blue wins! It looked good in black but you could hardly see any of the details, especially when all the other parts will be attached. I got the first colour on the cab. I'll mask off for the blue next, or the yellow, whichever is easier to do before the other. Engine is painted in that unusual chrome gold, odd colour for an engine but that's how they were it seems. Looks good, but boy, this paint loves fingerprints! it just doesn't seem to want to dry, so I might have to clear coat it but that might dull it down a bit.

DSC00370.JPG

DSC00372.JPG

DSC00374.JPG

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the engine looks awesome in that gold. I had my doubts about an engine being painted bright gold but it looks good in the frame. Most of the frame is finished. I still have the mud flaps to paint and I might have to remove the front air brakes as they look too close to the tyres, but it wont matter too much as I've had to permanently glue the hubs to the back plates. One of the front hub pins broke off trying to press the drum on, the other side is so tight it would snap the pin off that side too if I were to turn it, and the rear pins don't have any snap fixtures, the hubs just slide on with nothing to hold them. If you want the wheels to turn on this kit it will take hours of work.

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00379.JPG

DSC00380.JPG

The fifth wheel just sits on the... um, I don't know what it's called, Lol, but it has no pin holes for the fifth wheel to tilt on, you just permanently glue the two together. I want it to be able to take a trailer and then tilt it down when not in use, so I drilled some small holes in both parts and used some tapered styrene for pins that'll wedge in nice and tight, I think they're tail fins from a custom option off another kit!

DSC00384.JPG

DSC00386.JPG

4 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Really nice progress the frame and engine together with those colors really pop. One thing about models that are able to roll is that they can roll when you don’t want them to. (Like off the shelves). 

2 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great so far!! I’m like Dan, I rarely make all the axles roll on any of my builds. It’s more trouble than it is worth to me, plus, It’s not like I am going to play with them.😁

I'm the same, I don't mind if the wheels have to be glued solid on a kit, though I do like them rolling if I can. Other than the old annual solid axle kits I've yet to find any other design that rolls as easily.

Got the blue stripe done. I'll wait a few days for the blue to cure before I go putting tape over it for the next colour, when the yellow is done I'll have to leave that cure for a few days also before I can do the pinstripes. After that, I'll finish detailing and clearcoat the whole cab.

DSC00391.JPG

Chassis is pretty much finished, just got the rear wheels to fit. Engine went in ok but then the pipes were a nightmare to fit around it nicely. The top pipe that fits into the turbo wouldn't go low enough and hit the cab interior tub, upright and the pipes don't fit nicely to each other or the filter barrel. I had the take a chunk out of the exhaust pipe for it to sit low enough to clear the interior tub. I also had to shave a bevel under the interior tub on the passenger side cos the pipe still hit the tub and wouldn't sit flat, what a nightmare! The air intake pipe at the back didn't fit at all, it needed some filling and sanding for it to snake it's way around everything without hitting anything so it sits straight and allows the intake tower to clear the body and exhaust! There was lots of test fitting and swearing with this one which is why I haven't posted anything on this build for a few days!

DSC00395.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

DSC00397.JPG

On 6/13/2021 at 5:34 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I'm the same, I don't mind if the wheels have to be glued solid on a kit, though I do like them rolling if I can. Other than the old annual solid axle kits I've yet to find any other design that rolls as easily.

Everything I've ever built with wheels roll, from airliners to cars to a 1/25 scale lawn mower. I can't give you a good reason why I do it, it's just how I...er...roll.

1 hour ago, Mopar - D said:

Gareth your efforts getting your air system in place came out fantastic! Looks awesome the way you have it set up. 

Cheers, Dan. It sure took some work dry fitting the tub and cab and adjusting everything to clear.

1 hour ago, Repstock said:

Everything I've ever built with wheels roll, from airliners to cars to a 1/25 scale lawn mower. I can't give you a good reason why I do it, it's just how I...er...roll.

haha! yeah, I like the wheels to roll on my builds too but some are more work than I'm willing to put into them.

Cab is painted but boy, was I sweating pulling the masking tape off! It turned out ok, though not perfect, those pinstripes were extremely hard to do cos the thin gap disappeared into the white of the tape and the white cab. The pinstripes are a little thicker than they should be, also where they curve around the front of the cab are not as sharp as I'd like but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Just a polish and clearcoat left to do then I'll blackwash the panel lines.

DSC00398.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon