Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Demon

Maindrian Pace

A friend in the model club bought this minty and rare MPC '71 Demon, knowing the major problem that this kit has - the front wheel openings are Duster/Valiant, not the completely different Demon/Dart that they should be. I had no idea - but once you see it, it's an obvious mistake. So he asked me if I could correct them to the proper shape, and blend the engine compartment from the current tool Duster 340 kit so this can be cast as a transkit to be used with that Duster kit. "Oh, and could you please not use the mint $300 Demon kit as a base for this?" No problem, I guess.

So he cast the Demon body and gave me a resin copy to hack away on. Working with resin masters can be tricky, but what isn't. I printed a photo of a Demon left side and sketched in the new opening. Had to add some resin in the upper rear corners to allow for the new shape. I then made patterns to trace the left side onto the right side so both were identical. I made a scribing tool to make the curved depression above the wheel wells - a detail lacking in previous efforts to correct this body. After fitting the kit hood and grille, the final step was to relocate the right fender Pentastar more rearward, done by foil casting a new emblem and putting it in the right place. IMG_0625.thumb.jpeg.8a9b6c40c7c74f36125264819f43ff39.jpeg

IMG_0622.thumb.jpeg.07dc91eb0c9dd7e79f06cba1520210a1.jpeg

Top - original Demon body.

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.36a7852cd4b9e132dd786b985e089eb5.jpeg

IMG_0621.thumb.jpeg.b530a59a6c176de5c8f1614333d95ef2.jpeg

IMG_0620.thumb.jpeg.51fde30abca60fbe58fa40edc463cddf.jpeg

IMG_0624.thumb.jpeg.e508c923d535666022ed5df19726148e.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maindrian Pace said:

He didn't ask, and it never occurred to me. Can you find a good pic of that area?

The best example that I could find in short order is this '71 Demon ( Dart , Dart Sport , Duster , Valiant are the same ) . Note the separation between the fender and cowl . I scribed these lines on the '75 Dart Sport I'd built 8 years ago ( I no longer have the kit here , as it was a gift for a friend ) .

demon-pro-street-green.jpg.579f24d372df38f87e0f121ca18f4b92.jpg

6 hours ago, espo said:

You mentioned making a transkit, is this something that you may offer in the future ?   

Not me, but another member here. I'm sure he'll make it know when they will be available.

4 hours ago, afx said:

Another shot of the fender/door/cowl seam.

1971 Dodge Demon 340 - Just Right

Thanks, looks like a simple mod.

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

Nice work. Huge improvement.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, afx said:

Another shot of the fender/door/cowl seam.

Thanks for sharing a better image than that one I dredged-up . Much clearer view of the separation between the cowl / fenders / doors . 

I , too , would be interested in a resin trans-kit of a 1971 Demon  ( I missed the boat on the Missing Link 1972 Demon from 10 years ago... ) . It would appear that a Demon-specific interior would "have to be" created as well : The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Dodge Color & Trim Book - Dart (hamtramck-historical.com)

Definitely interested to see where this goes as I have an original MPC body I bought when I was a kid and am trying to do the same adaptation to the Duster chassis.

Have you tried mounting the chassis plate yet?  I found even before re-working the front wheel openings that some mods will be needed to the inner fender piece and tail end of the chassis plate.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

He didn't ask, and it never occurred to me. Can you find a good pic of that area?

I just found this thread, but if you need detail photos of any specific areas, I can go out and take them of my '71 Demon.