Model Cars Magazine Forum

The fastest road car in the world is electric!

The country that gave the world Nikola Tesla, the father of electricity, now has the world’s fastest hypercar, Rimac Nevera, which happens to be 100 percent electric. With some 1900 HP generated from 4 electro motors, the car which accelerates from 0-60 in 1.85 seconds and has a top speed of around 260 mph, was completely designed, developed and built in Croatia by Rimac Automobili. The car is in fact a showcase for the company that designs and develops electrical components for the likes of Porsche and Bugatti, and production will be limited to only 150 cars. The future is now, gents, the only downside is most of us mere mortals won’t be able to afford it at 2 million euros a piece. Here is a great new video about development and production, definitely worth a look-see 😎

Edited by PowerPlant

3 hours ago, Russell C said:

I'd gut the electrics and put in a gas V12, but then I'm 'old school' when it comes to the sound being part of the supercar experience.

Or you could just buy an internal combustion hypercar for much less money 😉 I understand your point, and this company could have well made fantastic internal combustion cars, but they opted for electricity because, whether we like it or not, that is the future... and it is happening fast. Within 10 years no more petrol cars will be made or sold, and in 20 years we will only be able to register and drive them as heritage. I guess engine sounds can always be recorded and generated through the sound system as in the electric Mercedes AMG GT 😝

8 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Or you could just buy an internal combustion hypercar for much less money 😉 I understand your point, and this company could have well made fantastic internal combustion cars, but they opted for electricity because, whether we like it or not, that is the future... and it is happening fast. Within 10 years no more petrol cars will be made or sold, and in 20 years we will only be able to register and drive them as heritage. I guess engine sounds can always be recorded and generated through the sound system as in the electric Mercedes AMG GT 😝

Wishful thinking by the environment fanatics, internal combustion engines will not die any time soon and will most likely be around for many years yet and there are alternatives to Gasoline/Petrol and Diesel wich are more environmentally friendly, the thing is that mostly all politicians seems to focus on electric vehicles right now as if that would be the final solution to the problem.
But no, there are too much limitations and inconveniences with electric vehicles running on batteries only for them to be a good replacement for the vehicles we use today and the list is long, and I only see them as a transition to something much better and more convenient alternatives.
I don't think the car buyers are willing to sacrifice the time it takes to recharge their vehicles when they are on a longer trip, it takes about an hour to charge the battery pack to full capacity with a quick charge station and what would you do in that time waiting for it to charge...and that is if a charge station is available and not used by other vehicles so you might have to wait another hour or two before it's your turn to charge your car...I mean, you can't eat or drink coffee every time.
We will use a lot more electricity than we do now so we need more powerplants to be built and the power grids are not dimentioned for the increased load and demand and have to be upgraded and new ones built, lots and lots of charge stations needs to be built both at our homes, at work and everywhere around all the roads we use, and that takes time and costs money the consumer for sure have to pay for...who else, and what do you think will happen with the electricity price.
And most important, we must replace all cars, busses, trucks, locomotives, ships, aeroplanes yes everything we use today that runs on gasoline, diesel and oil and replacements has to be developed before this utopia will happen, this to a huge cost and it will not do happen any time soon as I see it.
So there are better more suitable and convenient alternatives like hybrids, bio diesel, bio gas, hydrogen with fuel cells (you can even run an internal combustion engine on hydrogen and the exhaust is only water vapor), and other fossil free fuel sources that are easier to renew than to have to charge battery packs all the time.
Another thing with battery powered electric vehicles mostly everyone forgets is that the materials needed to make the batteries for these vehicles are limited sources and will end sooner or later, they don't know what to do with the batteries and how to take care of them when they are used and so on...so there are lots of problems still to solve before anything like this will happen, and that takes a lot more time and costs a lot more money than the politicians and environment fanatics think.
Finally, where do the environment fanatics think the oil will go if we with don't buy it, the oil producers will for sure not stop pumping and selling oil, so it will end up going to China, India and under developed countries where they don't have pollution controls or very limited ones, and we will not get any environmental gaines at all if we in the industrial countries stop using oil, so it's better we burn it in our good emmission controlled cars wich are quite effective than to give it to them.

For the record, electric cars are fast and powerful and runs very well so it's not that, but a supercar without an internal combustion engine is no supercar in my mind even how fast and quick it is, you need the sound and smell too otherwise something is missing, and there's no substitute for it.
I like motorsports and racing and have tried to watch races with electric cars...but no, it's like watching a slot car race and something important is missing so it's not for me.

Edited by Force

I could go on a rant about EVs, politics is verboten, but how about logistics such as who controls most of the rare-earths resources ... oops gets political again.

VW broke the Pikes Peak record.  It's a technological triumph.  The tradeoff between ICE gasping for air, is battery life.  But it's just not the same listening to a full scale r/c toy.  The Rimac is nice, but 😴.

4 hours ago, Force said:

Wishful thinking by the environment fanatics,

Even though I am not a particular proponent of electric cars myself, and little can replace the sound and smell of a rumbling v8 in my sensory field, I must disagree. First of all, never did I write that internal combustion will die tomorrow, I am talking about 20 years. Think of where cellphone tech/internet were 20 years ago, and look where they are now. Of course the technology is not yet perfect, but one cannot deny the leap that has been made in the last few years. How many Teslas did you see driving around 5 yrs ago, and how many do you see today? However, this is a limited production hypercar precisely because mass production of electric cars is not yet one hundred percent feasible, but it certainly is getting there, and it is exciting to see it already does reach far beyond a mere 1:1 rc car that will get you nowhere. Furthermore, I do not see hydrogen as a viable option as it is quite volatile in mass usage, and as for the suggested idea of an oil surplus, I do not see that happening either... Having spoken with a prominent scientist at the Shell oil geology department, I learned that global crude oil resources will be sufficient until 2050, or 2060 at best, if nothing changes drastically in our consumption, that is, before we are forced to change things due to utter depletion. Ironically, the pandemic of the last year has led to an unprecedented surplus of reserves, but that will not last and the EU is already very seriously contemplating the ban of diesel car production by 2025 and manufacturers aren’t even complaining terribly. Henceforth, I do believe that in 20 years, by 2041, vehicles reliant on fossil fuels for power will become much more obsolete for everyday use in favor of electricity. That said, I am sure internal combustion will remain alive for hundreds more years, but only as a heritage thing. This is my opinion, free for anyone to take or leave. One thing is for sure, however, I will NOT be buying the Nevera 😝

Edited by PowerPlant

The torque alone put out by electric motors can't be touched by ICE powered vehicles.  Most EV's have torque limiting software so that you don't sit there and spin the tires when you takeoff at anything other than light throttle from a stop.  EV's will have a hard time taking hold in developing and third world countries for at least another 50 years or longer, so auto companies who say that they are going to completely stop producing ICE powered vehicles within the next 15 years have decided those markets are not worth supporting, except for used vehiclesbrought in from outside.

Everyone thinks of the Hindenburg catastrophy when you talk about Hydrogen and yes it is very flammable and tends to explode...but that goes for gasoline too when the gasoline vapor is mixed in perfect proportion with Oxygen so gasoline is not so safe as many thinks, it's easier to handle but it's not safe by any means.
So I think Hydrogen is the future volatile or not, it's the most common element in the universe but here on Earth it's tied up in our water, and even Jules Verne said "water will be the coal of the future" back in 1874 and I believe the man was right, and if you give it time there must be safe ways developed to handle and store the gas even for the common man and research is done as we speak as there are more of us who have the same thoughts.
I see the Hydrogen as a "battery in gas form" and it can be produced in advance when the electricity is cheap and with environmently safe energy like hydro electric, wind or solar power if you want to, the water itself we have unlimited source of and you can use fresh or salt water to produce the gas, and it will return back to water when it's used, a renewable source of energy that can be used over and over and we will not ever run out of it as long as we have water on our planet.
It's more convenient to renew as it will be like fueling up your car today so after a few minutes of filling up you can continue to drive as far as you did before, that will not happen with any charge battery car ever regardless of wich type of batteries you use because it takes time to charge them.
As for the battery powered electric cars we see today, the car manufacturers makes what's in demand and right now as most politicians focus almost exclusively on electric cars on batteries that's what they produce because they are in the business of selling cars, if the customers ask for something else they will develop and produce that as they will continue to stay in business.
Yes we see many Teslas and other charge battery electric cars now but I think the limitations and inconveniences of the system with batteries you have to charge and all that comes with that will be replaced with something else more convenient and easier to use very soon, because the cost of building up all the infrastructure needed if everyone changes over the battery powered electric cars will be huge and it will for sure take time, a lot of time.

Edited by Force

Indeed, I do agree third world and developing countries will take somewhat longer to switch to electric vehicles than I suggested in my above post. The number of such countries in the world today is rapidly dwindling, however, and they are mostly restricted to Africa and possibly several in South America and Asia. Few have their own auto Industry (India, perhaps), and the second hand vehicle market is more prevalent there anyway, so I suppose they will be relying on mass fossil fuel use a bit longer than the developed world. But, again, I am not saying oil and its derivates will ever be banned or pulled off the open market, on the contrary, we will always be able to drive and register internal combustion engine vehicles, and a switch in the airline industry, for example, will, in fact, take much longer, but we just won’t manufacture any more internal combustion road-going vehicles in the foreseeable future is what I am suggesting. That seems to be the turn the developed world has sharply taken as of lately, anyway. As for the infrastructure, a major switch is inevitable, and whatever we turn to, be it electricity, hydrogen or something else entirely, extensive changes in infrastructure and waste disposal methods will be required just the same 🙂

Edited by PowerPlant

Yes you are right, we have to make changes to what we drive, but the infrastructure for charging battery powered electric cars are more extensive, expensive and takes a lot more time than for most other alternatives.
More power plants has to be built as the need for more electricity increaces, upgrades most of the power grids and build new ones are needed as there aren't enough capacity today, building charge stations everywhere to be able to charge the cars, and things like that.
And where does the electricity you charge your car with come from, if it's coal, oil or any other fossil burning power plants where are the environmental gains then.
Why wount internal combustion engine road going vehicles be manufactured if they can be running on fossil free bio fuel with very little or no CO2 emmissions, that type of fuels are available today and can be used but these cars are taxed to death like everything else except battery powered electric cars, so there are a lot of obstacles put up by politicians you have to overcome to be able to make progress.

Edited by Force

Theres a ferry where i live thats been running on hydrogen for 3 years now. Its been more reliable since it was converted from diesel due to running cooler. It has another benefit too as the electricity used to make it can be an inline system so you can still use the same electric to power your toaster or whatever so its much more enviroment friendly than electric. You dont need to destroy the enviroment to build it either, unlike batteries. I know the company i work for made sure when they got the new boat built that it would be a fairly simple task to convert if it becomes the better option. Just now though i think hydrogen is more suited to transport companies rather than individual users. The initial investment is high but the fuel savings should make it much more viable for fleets

Electricity can be generated by the water, wind and sun, all of which are plentiful natural resources 🙂 But I am no scientist and certainly cannot offer a definitive solution to any of these complex issues, but it sure is intriguing to ponder the imminently different future, so I certainly appreciate a good discussion about it 😎

2 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Theres a ferry where i live thats been running on hydrogen for 3 years now. Its been more reliable since it was converted from diesel due to running cooler. It has another benefit too as the electricity used to make it can be an inline system so you can still use the same electric to power your toaster or whatever so its much more enviroment friendly than electric. You dont need to destroy the enviroment to build it either, unlike batteries. I know the company i work for made sure when they got the new boat built that it would be a fairly simple task to convert if it becomes the better option. Just now though i think hydrogen is more suited to transport companies rather than individual users. The initial investment is high but the fuel savings should make it much more viable for fleets

I agree about hydrogen being an effective and clean solution commercially speaking, but privately/individually I reckon it would be quite a widespread hazard, more so than gasoline or anything else viable, for that matter, at least with the technology we currently know. 

The wind and solar power pants are so inefficiant and unreliable to be economiclally defensibile, has short lifespan (about 20-25 years before the wind turbines have to be replaced with all new ones) and will never make up for the CO2 emmissions from the building of them and the infrastructure for them under their lifetime...and they "pollute" the environment because they are ugly and bad for the insect and bird life.
To replace nuclear power plants with wind turbines you need hundreds of them just to replace one reactor, and most nuclear power plants have several reactors.

Edited by Force

1 minute ago, PowerPlant said:

I agree about hydrogen being an effective and clean solution commercially speaking, but privately/individually I reckon it would be quite a widespread hazard, more so than gasoline or anything else viable, for that matter, at least with the technology we currently know. 

Theres a hydrogen fuel station on the main pier here, and another one in the industrial estate. They're pretty compact units for what they are.  About half the size of a shipping container. I dont know if its made onsite though but i suspect it is as I've never seen any obvious transportation of it as i'd expect it to be the most dangerous part as things are now. I'll get some pics of it if anyones interested

3 minutes ago, Force said:

Yes, the wind and sun power pants are so inefficiant, has too short lifespan (about 20-25 years before the wind turbines have to be replaced with all new ones)and will never make up for the CO2 emmissions from the building of them under their lifetime...and they "pollute" the environment because they are ugly, bad for the insect and bird life.
To replace nuclear power plants with wind turbines you need hundreds of them just to replace one reactor, and most nuclear power plants have several reactors.

I guess I’d be fine with nuclear, too. Sure, it has its drawbacks, nothing is fail-safe, but if controlled I actually consider this an ok solution.

Yes it has it's drawbacks but they are at least not spread all over the countryside high up like the wind turbines are, you see these ugly wind mills everywhere and from a long distance...not a view I like to see.
Hydro electric plants are fine, at least the ones allready built, but I don't want them to destroy any more rapids and rivers to build more of them.
I don't agree with the hydrogen being a widespread hazard because it isn't if you use it right, and there are lots of vehicles using it allready.
We have some hydrogen fuel cell vehicles here used by the state operated road maintenence company and they make their own hydrogen on site in a container size plant and their vehicles run every day the whole day and only needs to fill up every 450-500 km's wich takes only a few minutes and they are ready to run again.
One thing with hydrogen people haven't thought about is that a hydrogen plant can convert salt sea water to fresh drinking water, you make hydrogen with salt sea water, combine the hydrogen with the oxygen from the air in a fuel cell and you get fresh water as a biproduct from the process as the exhaust is water vapor and you just have to condence it.

Edited by Force