Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth Roadrunner


mrmike
 Share

Recommended Posts

My new project is converting the Fast & Furious Dom's '71 GTX into a '71 Roadrunner.  I plan on a 440 powered, 3-speed automatic shifting, bench seat car painted with Testors Green Go aka Sassy Grass Green with a black interior.  I plan on using a bench seat from my parts box, column mounted automatic shifter, and the kit wheels and wide tires from Dom's GTX.  Let's see what I can do with this...

More Plymouth to come...

71RR01.JPG

71RR02.JPG

71RR03.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Carl, Bob, Michael and David!  Sorry Michael, but no McNally for this one.  He's gonna sit this one out.  David, I plan on using the kit stripe decals and I will have to search my decal stash for some other Roadrunner decals. 

I have never done this before.  I'm changing the seat pattern on a Jo-Han bench seat from a long departed '68 Plymouth Fury Patrol Car.  The Fury seat has no pattern to it at all and cutting up the bucket seats to get the GTX pattern only took a few minutes.  So now I have to get the seat patterns down to the size of the Fury seat.  I saved the head rests and will cut them down for the Fury seat.  I drew a line on the center of the seat back so I can slice it into two seat backs for a 2-door.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR04.JPG

71RR05.JPG

71RR06.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks David!

Using my Dremel, I hollowed out the seating surfaces to the new inserts.  I added the new seating surfaces and filled the edges with Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty.  I'll sand this when the putty has set and dried.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR07.JPG

71RR008.JPG

71RR09.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see this reissue has the hood from the original '80s Satellite issue. I might have to get one of these, despite my aversion to the F&F branding...

Neat idea with the bench seat, but before you get too far into it, I believe that pleated upholstery pattern was only used on buckets.   The standard RR bench was like this:

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1971/71_Satellite0010.jpg

This one being optional:

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1971/71_Satellite0006.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Story: McNally settled into his easy chair and found the Red Sox game on TV. He open his beer, took a satisfying swig and settled in for the game. He was happy to have some time off!   😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

I see this reissue has the hood from the original '80s Satellite issue. I might have to get one of these, despite my aversion to the F&F branding...

Neat idea with the bench seat, but before you get too far into it, I believe that pleated upholstery pattern was only used on buckets.   The standard RR bench was like this:

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1971/71_Satellite0010.jpg

This one being optional:

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1971/71_Satellite0006.jpg

 

 

Okay Stu.  Please understand that this is a Day 2 car and the pleated bucket seats are not a concern for me.  If I was to change out the seats for factory correct  pattern, I would have to change the back seat as well, and I am not about to do that.  Adding the seat pattern to a bare bench seat is something I have never done before.  This is a new challenge for me and one that I hope to be worthwhile!

31 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The Story: McNally settled into his easy chair and found the Red Sox game on TV. He open his beer, took a satisfying swig and settled in for the game. He was happy to have some time off!   😄

Very good Tom!  I couldn't have said it better myself!  

Thanks guys!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fitted a piece of sheet styrene to the interior, but more sanding will be required.  The plastic interior tub is much thicker than the sheet styrene I'm using and the seat will need to be raised slightly so it doesn't rock back and forth.  My patch will need to be blended into the tub further.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR10.JPG

71RR11.JPG

71RR12.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just started on the same kit. I'm going to do mine as a barn find. I'm real interested in your build, as I have followed your builds before, and I like the fact your not hesitant to try something out of your comfort zone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm digging on that front bench seat ! Don't know why Plymouth didn't offer that pattern... 

Are you planning on adding the vertical 'beadings' ( centre of rear seat reference ) to the front seat ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Michael and John!

4 hours ago, lucky 130 said:

Just started on the same kit. I'm going to do mine as a barn find. I'm real interested in your build, as I have followed your builds before, and I like the fact your not hesitant to try something out of your comfort zone. 

If we don't try something new every now and then, what's the point of having something and not using it?

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm digging on that front bench seat ! Don't know why Plymouth didn't offer that pattern... 

Are you planning on adding the vertical 'beadings' ( centre of rear seat reference ) to the front seat ?  

Do you mean the split backs for the front seat?  I'll add that after I have finished sanding the bench seat.

I have been looking at the engine in this kit and it has a hole in the oil filter.  I covered the hole with a piece of rounded styrene.  The hole might not be seen once the model is assembled, but I know that the hole is there and covered.  I have also been sanding the trunk lid to remove the mounts for the rear spoiler that I am not going to use. 

More Plymouth to come...

71RR13.JPG

71RR14.JPG

71RR15.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Do you mean the split backs for the front seat?  I'll add that after I have finished sanding the bench seat.

Let me see if I can illustrate the 'beads' -- raised character lines -- which I'm referring to... 

 

REVELL-1971-road-runner-interior.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if I will try to replicate those lines.  I don't think I would want to try to figure it out.  Maybe some thin styrene strips or something.  Now you have me wondering how I can replicate them!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

I'm not sure if I will try to replicate those lines.  I don't think I would want to try to figure it out.  Maybe some thin styrene strips or something.  Now you have me wondering how I can replicate them!  

Either way , that unique bench seat will look great , @mrmike !  I can already 'see' the finished product ; reminds me of the Buddy Seat  mod that you did years ago with the 1968 Charger R/T Build-Off .

I'd imagine that some thin , half-round strips would be perfect , but that's easy for me to say from this perspective . 

Keep up the GREAT work , my good man ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will put aside the notion of the strips for the seat for now and concentrate on the rest of the build.  I may try to add something for the strips before the model is painted and assembled, but no guarantees... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been looking at Sassy Grass Green '71 Roadrunners on Google Images and pictures of Roadrunners with painted bumpers are starting to appeal to me.  I have a '71 GTX and a '71 Satellite on the shelf without the painted bumpers and painting the bumpers will give me a different "Fuselage" body style.  I clipped the front and rear bumpers from the chrome sprue and covered them with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner and the chrome disappeared in 10 minutes.  Now to paint them and the rest of the body parts!

More Plymouth to come...

71RR16.JPG

71RR17.JPG

71RR18.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, mrmike said:

I have been looking at the engine in this kit and it has a hole in the oil filter.  I covered the hole with a piece of rounded styrene.  The hole might not be seen once the model is assembled, but I know that the hole is there and covered.

You might not notice the hole, but you would notice the oil stain on your shelf after it’s too late to do anything about it.😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

You might not notice the hole, but you would notice the oil stain on your shelf after it’s too late to do anything about it.😬

Just use Johan Motor Oil.. specially formulated not to leak out the axle hole thru the oil pan!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...