Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

mrmike

Thanks David!  I find that it depends on who you listen to.  Some say use the decal over the molded script and some say to remove the molded script before painting and then use the decal afterwards.  

Thanks David!  I used the lowered front suspension on this model.  Just for the heck of it, I went back and looked at my '71 Satellite and '71 GTX and I lowered the front suspension on the Satellite, but not on the GTX.  I used really wide tires on the GTX and I needed the clearance on the fenders.  

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I neglected to do was a split in the seat back.  I removed the seat from the interior, got out the razor saw and started hacking away at the seat back.  This is a combination of measuring and eyeball engineering.  It came out fairly good, but the cuts were off slightly.  I cut the seatbacks far enough to insert two pieces of 0.20 sheet styrene side-by-side with a slight gap between them.  Hopefully, when the seat is painted, the errors of my cuts will not be seen.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR52.JPG

71RR53.JPG

71RR54.JPG

Thanks Bob!  The seat does look a lot better since I had painted it.  

Since I had wet sanded the paint and I burned through several areas, I thought it would be best to paint the entire car instead of trying to touchup all the spots.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR55.JPG

71RR56.JPG

71RR57.JPG

On 6/23/2021 at 11:13 PM, mrmike said:

I wonder what the decals and the instruction sheet for the Revell of Germany kit looks like.  I heard that the decal sheet is bigger!

Here's the full decal sheet.   The instructions are a 20-page glossy A4 size booklet, and they do call out the caliper decals.

71GTX_decals-vi.jpg

71GTX_instr_-vi.jpg

56 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

Here's the full decal sheet.   The instructions are a 20-page glossy A4 size booklet, and they do call out the caliper decals.

Thanks much for sharing that . 

What are decals "1" and "2" supposed to represent ? They appear to be the 1972 & later "universal" side marker lamps -- what do the instructions call for ?

Now , why in the deuce didn't that decals sheet find its way into the U.S. market kit ????

18 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much for sharing that . 

What are decals "1" and "2" supposed to represent ? They appear to be the 1972 & later "universal" side marker lamps -- what do the instructions call for ?

Now , why in the deuce didn't that decals sheet find its way into the U.S. market kit ????

It indicates those are for the F&F version, or as an alternative for the stock version.

Just as I had suspected!  The decal sheet is bigger with so much more content!  I think that Revell would understand that issuing the same kit in the same areas of sales would be far less expensive than creating the same kit in different packaging with less content.  Thank you Stu for the picture of the decal sheet!  

Edited by mrmike

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I have actually worked on the '71 Roadrunner.  I have been trying to decide if I should strip the lousy paint job or sand it.  Tonight I chose to sand it.  After sanding, I gave the body a bath and it looks 100% better!  Tomorrow, I sand the hood so it will match the body and then wash it.  Then, when everything is dry, I will repaint the body and hood.

More Roadrunner to come...

71RR58.JPG

71RR59.JPG

71RR60.JPG

Thanks David and Mike!

Today has been one of those "can Honey do" days.  Can Honey do this?  Can Honey do that?  I've been busy most of the day and now that I have the time, I can't pickup the sandpaper.  Maybe tomorrow...

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thanks David and Mike!

Today has been one of those "can Honey do" days.  Can Honey do this?  Can Honey do that?  I've been busy most of the day and now that I have the time, I can't pickup the sandpaper.  Maybe tomorrow...

Have too keep the honey happy!

• mrmike changed the title to 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6