Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

mrmike

21 hours ago, heyjohnxx said:

No spouse, I must be a louse.

I'm not judging...

Thanks Anton!  I had high hopes for this build and as my paint job went bad, my hopes went down the drain.  It should have been finished months ago, but like everything else, life got in the way as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I sanded the hood yesterday and I am heading to the kitchen sink for a good scrubbing with Dawn Dish Detergent and warm water.  When this has dried, a repaint in in order with Model Master Green Go.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR61.JPG

71RR62.JPG

71RR63.JPG

You'll probably find the second attempt at paint will turn out looking amazing. When I screw up a paint job, for some odd reason the second time around always blows the first attempt away! I think it's the scuffing that gives the body a kind of prep and a good key for the paint to stick to.

I am inclined to agree with you, Gareth!  This paint went on kinda thick and sanding it roughed up the surface, but without the much of the usual sanding marks that can marr a plastic surface.  This should look really good! 

• 2 weeks later...

It has been almost two weeks since I last worked on this Roadrunner.  I decided to give it another bath this time in prep for paint.  The Chassis and the interior have been finished and are ready for assembly.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR64.JPG

71RR65.JPG

71RR66.JPG

Another coat of Model Master Green Go and this can is done!  So much orange peel that I think was from the lack of pressure inside the can and I even warmed the can up!  These old cans from Testors/Model Master are lousy!!!

More Plymouth to come...

71RR67.JPG

71RR68.JPG

71RR69.JPG

Everything else with this build seems to be going so well that it must be extra frustrating to be fighting so much with the paint.

I've found that there a couple of paints that just don't seem to work with my painting style. I say this because other people seem to make these paints work with little or no difficulty but I just can't get them to cooperate. For me, those brands are Rustoleum and any Testors in a spray can.

Rustoleum has great colors but I think their cans are designed for spraying lawn furniture rather than detailed plastic models. The paint sprays out like it's coming from a garden hose. And Testors? Well, their big problem is inconsistency. Every can of theirs I ever bought and used was different than any other in terms of paint thickness, coverage, density and propellant. And their spray enamels take weeks to cure, even here in Phoenix during the summer.

I try to use mostly Tamiya paints either in a jar or can. When I painted my Charger I used Tamiya TS-22 Light Green over a black primer.

I think it's a pretty good match.

71_Charger_12_25.jpg.0111d9784f0a17ccbcd8bedf7d18c4e9.jpg

Color sanding and a respray should work but if if it comes to a complete repaint, you may want to give Tamiya spray cans a try. They're like an airbrush in a can.

Regards, 

David G.

• Like 1

Thanks Carl, Bob and David!  

David, did you know that Rustoleum bought Testors?  IMHO, Rustoleum does not know the scale model community and they bought Testors just for their client base.  That is possibly why they are doing away with Testors Lacquers and others.  Testors lousy cans leak and I had a brand new can of paint leak and empty itself of all propellant and the can was just over a year old and still sealed.  Then they take the enamel spray paints and take out some of the pigment and offer it for sale to the modeling public.  Then they push Rustoleum to the public and offer the same lousy cans in a larger size with the same lousy paint. Now I can understand why Testors products remain on the shelf at the hobby shop and not be sold!        

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Carl, Bob and David!  

David, did you know that Rustoleum bought Testors?  IMHO, Rustoleum does not know the scale model community and they bought Testors just for their client base.  That is possibly why they are doing away with Testors Lacquers and others.  Testors lousy cans leak and I had a brand new can of paint leak and empty itself of all propellant and the can was just over a year old and still sealed.  Then they take the enamel spray paints and take out some of the pigment and offer it for sale to the modeling public.  Then they push Rustoleum to the public and offer the same lousy cans in a larger size with the same lousy paint. Now I can understand why Testors products remain on the shelf at the hobby shop and not be sold!        

Mike, your right. The only thing I was using was wet look clear and now that’s ruined. I have some Rustoleum American accents in 4 colors but it’s satin and is 5 years old dries over night. All I am using is the little square bottles and as far as sprays I am using Tamiya. 

I have resigned myself to using Tamiya spray cans for the future and they do have some really nice colors.  If I need a specific color for a build, I guess I will have to go to the internet for my paint.  With all the changes happening in the modeling world and in life in general, I am having a tough time keeping up with all the changes.    

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

I have resigned myself to using Tamiya spray cans for the future and they do have some really nice colors.  If I need a specific color for a build, I guess I will have to go to the internet for my paint.  With all the changes happening in the modeling world and in life in general, I am having a tough time keeping up with all the changes.    

You are certainly not alone in that , Mike . I "gave up" Testors paints for the most part  a long time ago ( I use Tamiya paints -aerosol and bottle- almost exclusively ) . The last time that I'd used one of their 'automobile' colours --single-stage enamel-- was some 17 years ago ; it was FM3 Panther Pink / Moulin Rouge . I'd painted an AMT 1971 Super Bee ( converted to 340-power , via the 1971 Duster engine , mated-to the Charger's Torqueflite ) with that enamel FM3... and it took a solid month for it to cure ( !!! ) . 

The two-stage lacquer was much better . Two years ago I built the Monogram 1971 Hemi 'Cuda Hardtop for my then-girlfriend . Even in cold temperatures ( 30's ) , the colour coat flashed quickly . I was pleasantly surprised ! After a few days , I clear coated it with the vaunted Testors "One Shot" gloss lacquer clear . Even that dried rock hard in less than a day -- didn't even have to colour sand and polish , it was that perfect .

But , I digress...

The only air brush type applicator that I have is a Prevail  which I'd bought at work some 14 years ago ( haha ) . Should I feel compelled to accomplish a factory colour , I'll go with one of the fledgling 'Scale Auto Finishes' et alia paints . 

All my best , Mike ! 

That paint job is really fighting you. Don't let it beat you!

I'm another Tamiya convert. Their spray paints go on really well.

I tried some of their light green on the inner panels of a Revell/Monogram Challenger just to see how the color looked. It went onto bare white plastic like glass. I polished and cleaned the rest of the body and sprayed the bare plastic with a couple of fine coats followed after 20 minutes or so with a single wet coat. I also kept turning the body end over end while the paint gassed off. Hopefully the lack of primer won't come back to bite me later. 

Here's the result:

20211101-103150.jpg

Thanks John and Tony!  

Since I have been swearing off Model Master/Testors paints, my next choice was Tamiya paints.  Tamiya paints are a very forgiving paint and I have used it with and without primer with no issues at all.  One thing I have been doing lately is washing the body and related parts with Dawn Dish Detergent to remove any mold release that is on the plastic.

Edited by mrmike

Thanks David and Carl!

I added my license plate to the rear bumper and in the process of doing so, I broke the joint between the bumper and valance panel.  A little glue and hopefully I have the correct angle and it is correct.  I painted the taillights with Tamiya X-27 Clear Red and Tamiya XF-2 Flat White.  I added the radiator and detailed the engine compartment.  The interior has been painted and ready for the glass to be installed. 

More Plymouth to come...

71RR73.JPG

71RR74.JPG

71RR75.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen!

I installed the chassis into the body and added my heater hoses.  This took me some finagling as the chassis didn't want to move forward like it should.  I think the issue was the engine fan and the radiator were hitting each other.

More Plymouth to come...

71RR76.JPG

71RR77.JPG

71RR78.JPG

• mrmike changed the title to 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6