Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati 8CTF (1939 Boyle Special)

Some time back my good mate received two of these kits from a friend in the US.  As we do a fair bit of wheeling and dealing I ended up with one of them.

It was a very basic resin kit, nicely apportioned body, beautiful photo etched wire spokes and grill and nice resin wheel/tyre.  I decided the kit deserved better than the other parts supplied so proceeded to make my own rear 1/4 leaf springs and trailing arms, upper and lower front suspension arms and tie rod, brake drums (spares from a Merit Alfa 158) and backing plates. I also removed the louvres on each side of the bonnet as they were all different lengths and cut in some I had previously cast in resin from a Monogram Indy car, made up an aluminium floor area around the gearbox and changed the seat to a more accurate one. 

Prepped and sprayed with auto acrylic undercoat I then mixed and sprayed my own auto acrylic maroon, clear coated and polished out.  Decals that came with the kit were applied.

A challenging build and much more satisfactory than building a "kit".  Am now hoping another mate can 3D filament print me an Alfa 33 Periscopia.

Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_8164.JPG

IMG_8155.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

IMG_8160.JPG

IMG_8161.JPG

IMG_8163.JPG

9 hours ago, Gluebomber said:

Man, that's a beauty, Dave!

Who makes (made) the kit?

Thanks guys, sorry Larry I have no idea who made it.  Plain white cardboard box and the instructions were photocopies hand written.

Alrighty then - you’re in Australia - I think - I’m in Miami - I think - and the kit maker is the late Gary Doucette - who lived in Toronto!   ...

The scale is 1/25.  I’ve started to mess around with my kit but haven’t really gotten much farther than you see here  -  

I met Gary a large number of moons ago - nice fellow - not a great caster - but he studied his subjects very carefully and always made an effort to make an accurate kit -  the masters were purchased by someone - another nice fellow - who casts and sells on EBay - I know that Gary would have loved this build -  and by the way - looks like you nailed the color-  whose paints did you use ???

Tks for the additional info Andrew, now I am looking forward to seeing yours built, it looks like you are going to go to a lot more trouble than me!!

PS, you were right about location, Hobart, Tasmania.

Dave B