Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinking about coming back into it...

Hello all,

I've been here before but its been a LOOOOOOOONG TIME. I am really thinking about getting back into it and am looking at possibly getting my kiddos into it this time. My daughter especially wants to do it (shes 8). I put the models up for a long time when they were getting past the newborn baby stage and into the "I'm going to touch everything stage". I never sold the models as I knew I wanted to come back to the hobby eventually and am really giving it some thought now. I hope everyone is doing well and am looking forward to meeting new people here again. Again, since I've forgotten how to do most of the posting pics and stuff here, I may need some help from all y'all veterans on this page. Best regards to all! Looking forward to meeting yall!

-Ozzy

Edited by FEENIX

Welcome back!  Building models with your daughter will bring a whole new dimension to the hobby!   I built with my eldest when she was 8-11 and she still thinks back of those times! She’s 36 now.  And her models are prominently positioned in my display case!  Go for it!

• Like 1

Modelbuilding is a great thing to do with your kids. I got my kids involved in modelbuilding. They enjoyed it, though they went off to do other things for a while. Then two of them came back. They build Gundams, but we have long talks about what we like, and what we want to build. They're all adults now. and building on the patio is one of our happy times. 

Don't think about, just do it, you wont regret it, I sure haven't. As others here said, very similar story here, although my son didnt take to it like I hoped, I'm still working on him! And yes, what I used to see with my bare eyes now takes readers or even more!

Welcome aboard from other new guy here

I did quit the hobby when I became disabled, I have been building models for over 60 years and my disability meant I could no longer do what I loved. But I recently returned to my lifelong passion, accepting that I needed to adjust my standards in order to do so. Models I build now will never equal what I used to be able to build, and I use a magnifying glass sometimes as well as steadying my hands with clamps. With arthritis getting worse, I often tape fingers together and use both hands to do the simplest things. 

Despite all of that, I feel happy to be back doing what I love to do. I sometimes look at the shelves of models I made years ago and think " Wow, did I do that?" I'm glad I did when I could and I'll never quit again until they shovel the dirt on my grave, LOL. And I don't feel sorry for myself either, not at all, I have a large stash of models and supplies, no need to spend much money. Who could ask for more? 

• 2 weeks later...