Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Ford email announcement...

6 minutes ago, mrmike said:

It looks bigger than the Ranger and smaller than the F150.  Front end sheet metal looks like the new Bronco.  So, where would this truck fit in?

Smaller and cheaper than the Ranger, based on the Bronco Sport (FWD/AWD unibody).  It will be Ford’s entry level truck. And that’s not a photo of the actual production vehicle—its going to be unveiled this week.  Sort of similar size to the old Ranger. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Ford initially promised that the broom-pusher special (base model/no options) might sneak in under $20k.  But between the dealers not wanting to stock those "because nobody buys them", and the first ones shipped likely being more loaded ones, expect to see the first ones sticker for around $30k.  Still, they should do pretty well with it.  The big trucks are way too big for a lot of people, and even the Ranger is way bigger than the last one.  This will be a more affordable alternative to a Honda Ridgeline, especially after the Honda dealers get done marking those up.

Edited by Mark
Added info

25 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I knew it wasn't going to be a sedan because Ford has ceased productions of all sedans and compact/subcompact cars.

Methinks maybe in size similar to the Honda Ridgeline?

Smaller.  Ridgeline is about the same size as the Ranger. 

The last generation Ranger --2011 model year ?-- was the best . I had a 2008 as "my" work truck from 2008 until it was crashed-and-totaled by a coworker when I was on holiday in 2014 .

It was thee perfect work truck : Vinyl seat with folding arm rest ; rubber mats ; AM/FM ; 5-speed auto ( best shifting auto ever ! ) ; 4.10 ; and a powerful 2.3 litre four with 8 spark plugs ( one intake , one exhaust , IIRC -- like the old Datsun NAPS-Z engine of the 70's-80's ) .

FoMoCo's excuse for dropping the Ranger was its price-point . Stupid , college boy reasoning . Now we have that bloated thing instead of the slim , powerful , economical work horse that was its predecessor .

Maverick ? Really ? Front-Wheel-Drive ? Seriously ? I smell overpriced , underpowered junk on the horizon...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Maverick ? Really ? Front-Wheel-Drive ? Seriously ? I smell overpriced , underpowered junk on the horizon...

There have been many old car names revived in the last couple of decades.  Of course they will not be anything like the original vehicles.  Those were unreliable, rusted quickly and had very few safety features.  That time has passed.  Even those few that were reintroduced in the spirit of the original ones (like Charger or Challenger) are nothing like the original ones.  The new ones are high-horsepower computers on wheels using advanced mechanical technology.  They also can last over 10 years without rusting out. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Heck, look at what they’re trying to foist off as a “Mustang” now. It’s probably a perfectly fine EV but its not a Mustang as far as I’m concerned.

Might not be a Mustang, but Ford has sold everyone of them they built, according to an article today there are none of them left in stock in the U.S.

11 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Might not be a Mustang, but Ford has sold everyone of them they built, according to an article today there are none of them left in stock in the U.S.

Seen a few around, sharp looking CUV... I've heard they compare quite favorably to the Tesla Model Y. 

11 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Heck, look at what they’re trying to foist off as a “Mustang” now. It’s probably a perfectly fine EV but its not a Mustang as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah, they should have named it Pinto:

Plugging 

In

Necessary 
To

Operate

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Yeah, they should have named it Pinto:

Plugging 

In

Necessary 
To

Operate

That's funny!  I don't think Ford will do that, though.  The Pinto got such a bad rap back in the 1970s that Ford will probably do just about anything to distance themselves from that name.  Kind of like Chevrolet and the Vega.

That Maverick in my opinion is another hideous overpriced and over-complicated pile of plastic and computers.  The lack of servicability in most modern vehicles is discouraging.  Try replacing a heater core in most of these modern cars... and with parts sourced from China, they will fail.  I'm going to have to keep my old iron going until I'm not going anymore.  I can't justify the cost to buy a new vehicle or to keep it on the road.

6 minutes ago, Kromolly said:

That Maverick in my opinion is another hideous overpriced and over-complicated pile of plastic and computers.  The lack of servicability in most modern vehicles is discouraging.  Try replacing a heater core in most of these modern cars... and with parts sourced from China, they will fail.  I'm going to have to keep my old iron going until I'm not going anymore.  I can't justify the cost to buy a new vehicle or to keep it on the road.

Modern cars are a mixed bag. They are engineered to go a lot longer without repairs than older cars. I remember when 100,000 miles was a lot, now 200,000 is normal. The interiors are more durable, the bodies don’t rust. But when they do break, they can be a bear to repair, but they don’t need repairs often.

I’m amazed at the prices on some new cars, but the average person is now leasing and with residual values high, lease payments are low. Still, I’m a cash buyer so I will continue to buy good used cars.