Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC. V-Rod

BIGTRUCK

Another neat kit  I picked up in trade with Phil (FordF100), this time a street buggy. After tearing down the stuff that was built, it seems like the windshield with a deep tire burn and the rear suspension are the only 2 things I will have to remake. Decals are a little sketchy and would have liked to use them as they are the ID for the buggy, but we will see. Like many of things I work on some things do need the chrome removed , but this time just a little.

20210605_154515.jpg

20210605_154533.jpg

20210605_154853.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCK

Wow! I need to get me one of those! I'm going to hazard a guess that you can get all or most of that of that tire burn gone with a four way nail file from Sally Beauty Supply, followed up with some polish.

Bill, your survivor is Koolzville! I love it!

2 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

What a blast from the past. I built one way back when and it still looks OK. It builds up into a nice model. With the ravages of time I see the screen and motor need to be glued back in

Way cool Bill!  I never saw one of these built up before!  Awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that you can get all or most of that of that tire burn gone with a four way nail file from Sally Beauty Supply, followed up with some polish.

Going to give it a shot, but 2 of them are pretty deep.

All the body, engine and chassis are clean up and in primer, a glue spots gone and gaps filled in. Found some replacement mags and wheel backs that will work. The rear axle was a melted mess so I will have to scratch up one. The 2 support arms were a mess also but was able to file it open the arch. 

20210609_090611.jpg

20210609_090543.jpg

20210609_090500.jpg

20210609_090132.jpg

15 minutes ago, BIGTRUCK said:

Going to give it a shot, but 2 of them are pretty deep.

Tire burn is a bugger. On the plus side, if you can't fix it, it's a pretty simple flat piece you can easily replicate with clear sheet plastic. Looks like a cool project. I'll be watching. What colors are you thinking?

Paint is on and and once its cured we can start again. The glass is starting to get better , the tire burn was pretty deep. Im going to keep trying but if it dont come out soon I'll just cut one out and add the vent glass from the original.

20210610_082517.jpg

20210610_082539.jpg

Add my name to the list of guys that hadn't seen this one before.  What a cool little model, period perfect for when V-rods were flavour of the month.  I thought I knew every hot rod kit but once again I have been proven wrong!

Bill, your build looks fabulous, loving the orange and Ken, I love where yours is heading.  It would be awesome if you can save or recreate the stars and stripes!

Cheers

Alan

6 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Add my name to the list of guys that hadn't seen this one before. 

Alan

Mine too--never heard of it. Very cool! I've been wanting to build a V-rod for some time. Drive on! B)

Tires and wheels are on. Tires are from the kit, mags are parts box. The interior is cream and white. I left the interior sides body color. The Corvair engine is so far from the kit, but its missing the kits custom exhaust pipes so I'm trying to dig up a set .I too never knew about this kit until I got it. 

20210613_181217.jpg

20210613_181143.jpg

• 1 year later...

Very kool! I’ve never seen this kit before. Which is interesting since the V-Rod was put out at a time where I was following and lusting for just about every model car that was out there. Now, I’m going to have to dig out some of my old Auto World catalogs from ‘71-‘72 to if the kit appears in there? I also wonder if Round 2 still has the dies, and they might consider reissuing sometime in the near future? 

12 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Very kool! I’ve never seen this kit before. Which is interesting since the V-Rod was put out at a time where I was following and lusting for just about every model car that was out there. Now, I’m going to have to dig out some of my old Auto World catalogs from ‘71-‘72 to if the kit appears in there? I also wonder if Round 2 still has the dies, and they might consider reissuing sometime in the near future? 

I never saw or heard of this kit until I got it in trade, Im curious if it was done once or changed and kitted as something else.