Model Cars Magazine Forum

Electric Mustang E outsells gas model so far in 2021

Apples VS Oranges...........

Comparing a electric 5 door SUV to a small 2 door sports car is a STUPID article. I bet ever other SUV in Ford's line up beat Mustang. (real Mustang coupe) in sales. REAL Mustang is like the Vette @ GM. A flagship car that makes a few pennies but brings folks in.  We own a Roush 2016 supercharged Mustang that we have upgraded with a number of Ford parts. Compared to our 66 Mustang it is on a different planet. I'll take our coupe over a MACH E everyday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Notice that they’re making the new car in Mexico VS Michigan! 

They already set aside the space at Flat Rock to build a smaller electric SUV, plus Cuautitlán Assembly has been open since 1964 and with the Fiesta coming to an end with the whole "no more cars" plan they had to put something in there to keep it open.

Article says they made more, not sold more. Most of the ones made are exported to other countries. The article also states they sell more gas than electric in the U.S. by 3 to 1. The U.S. will be a tough market until they increase range to 1000 miles or come up with insta-charge or replaceable batteries, so long cross country trips are possible.

• Like 2

I know ethanol is less efficient than gas, but I'm surprised they're not pursuing that avenue rather than electric vehicles.  Seems like it would be an easier transition (although I'm no expert...)

Edited by CabDriver

Number built vs number sold. Ford are diverting almost all of their available microprocessors to the new Mach-e, the new F150, the new Bronco Sport, and the upcoming Bronco. This will leave the existing models to suffer and receive mass delays in  production. So of course the Mach-E is going to have more production.

As an aside, I've now driven a Mach-E. Spent an hour or so with one on Friday. It drives great, is comfortable, but feels like any other newer Ford. Great powertrain in an otherwise average car. GM and Hyundai do electric better, in my opinion. 

35 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I know ethanol is less efficient than gas, but I'm surprised they're not pursuing that avenue rather than electric vehicles.  Seems like it would be an easier transition (although I'm no expert...)

I wonder what happened to the hydrogen powered concept?

The lack of range and a re-charging power infrastructure will hamper widespread sales of EVs. It will take large investments and subsidies from government to move the needle on increasing the EV population. A recent article in Automotive News showed where 20% of EV owners in California traded their vehicles in on either a hybrid or gas powered vehicle because of the frustration over charging time or driving range. EVs will do well in urban areas or as a second vehicle, but will take some time before they are able to be used on long distance trips. The new F150 has a range of 300 miles and with a load its estimated to be 150 miles, can't see getting excited pulling a trailer if you can only go for 2 hours. 

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

My F-150 can run on Ethanol.......only issue is I have not seen it available in my state. I did see it for sale in Detroit when I was there 2016....last time I saw it for sale. 

You'd think it would be easier to start supplying ethanol to existing gas stations than it would be to build an entire network of EV charging stations - but I'm sure there's a reason above my comprehension as to why electric is smarter.  Beats me what it would be tho :D

On a somewhat related note, I think the hybrid option is currently the better option for most of North America. As has been said, distances between major cities and towns is far greater than in Europe or elsewhere in the world. This means much larger need for charging stations. And of course upgrading the power grid to handle it. 

My current truck is one of the new F150 PowerBoost hybrids. I've put about 4000km on it so far. When I fill up, my range shows around 900km per tank. And of that, just under 200km of that is in pure electric mode. Overall fuel economy is showing at 11.2L/100km. So it's an improvement over my previous gas engine trucks.

58 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

You'd think it would be easier to start supplying ethanol to existing gas stations than it would be to build an entire network of EV charging stations - but I'm sure there's a reason above my comprehension as to why electric is smarter.  Beats me what it would be tho :D

Ethanol is already widely available at all gas stations around my area.  Sticker on the gas pump informs that the gasoline I'm purchasing contains 10% ethanol! :) It makes the gasoline less potent, and it might deteriorate gaskets in older car's fuel systems.

Why ethanol?  It is not a "clean fuel". It takes a lot of energy to produce.

2 hours ago, Repstock said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the first thing I always think when hydrogen is mentioned is "Oh, the humanity!" :blink: I wonder if other people have such a perception problem, too? :unsure:

3 hours ago, Repstock said:

The hydro car got killed off just like the GM EV1 back in the late 90's. Of course this was after GW Bush spent 1.8 billion on the tech. What's crazy is the thousands of dollars spent on a one off hydro powered Hummer that Arnold Schwarzenegger drove up to a hydro pump to meet GW and sings the praises of hydro. Then Arnold drives off out of sight and gets into a reg gas powered Suburban to get to the airport. I bet that hydro Hummer got crushed. 

What a joke. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Why ethanol?  It is not a "clean fuel". It takes a lot of energy to produce.

I really dislike Ethanol for many reasons. 

1. It uses about the same energy to produce as conventional fuels. (fossil) 

2. Live in a rural area....ask farmers how it works in tractors and such.  Most hate it. 

3. The main purpose of Ethanol is to support corn prices. 

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve been running E85 in my 200 for 9 years now, from what I’ve seen over the years is an increase in stations, mostly Speedway and Thornton’s as in many cases there are contract clauses with big brands that franchises can not even consider selling  more than 10% without losing the contract with the who ever has their name on the sign.

Then there’s signs like this for both E85 and BioDiesel🙄

image.jpeg.cd417fa490fd5f9cf86060f2f449d6ad.jpeg

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if something like that would get posted on EV chargers if such companies are forced to put those in.<_<

Now I have heard of a gas station with repair facilities that was converted to a charging station when selling gas almost got to be an expense vs a profit item. They had a decent clientele of EV owners at the time, though they also had rather upset casual customers who were shocked to find out that they could no longer buy fuel there like they did “week before”, even though the station had been shut down for a while to convert let lone had not been selling gas for months at that point🤦🏻

55 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I really dislike Ethanol for many reasons. 

1. It uses about the same energy to produce as conventional fuels. (fossil) 

2. Live in a rural area....ask farmers how it works in tractors and such.  Most hate it. 

3. The main purpose of Ethanol is to support corn prices. 

I’d love to know how farmers are trying to use it in their compression ignition equipment in the first place!

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I’d love to know how farmers are trying to use it in their compression ignition equipment in the first place!

What they hate is ethanol added to gasoline. Every gas station in my area has ethanol free gasoline due to the large number of farmers in the area. I use it in my classic cars too.  Small engines, older tractors, gas powered water  pumps etc....all want ethanol free gasoline.

Ethanol gives worse mileage. More power but less efficient thermodynamically. Scores injector nozzles too. 

E85 needs specific tune. I have a swappable tune for my AMG but only 2 stations around me, too far to make it useful so I don’t use the tune. 

Electric in TX not practical for 2-300 mi trips between cities. But local stuff ok. Poor infrastructure for charging and pathetic grid witnessed by winter failure won’t support lots of electric either. 

Quick version of Mach E is missile. https://www.motor1.com/news/503933/ford-mach-e-mustang-race/amp/

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, Repstock said:

I've always wondered why the huge push for electric, but no research for other alternative "clean burning" fuels.

Hydrogen is the cleanest. Put it in a fuel cell and it emits water as it's byproduct. 

Propane is already in use, why not improve it's use.

Chrysler's turbine engine ran on anything. Maybe it's time to reconsider that source.

Thank god the grids in TX and CA will handle all these electrics. 
The Mustang E is quick. Forget the name of the fastest but I’d pop it before Tesla. 
Range a non starter when there’s no cell coverage alone chargers.