Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 1/8 scale T-Bucket

Oldmopars

A while back I finished my first Big Red Rod. It turned out good, with minor changes to the box stock build. I wanted to do a build that was more custom, scratch building parts, kit bashing, etc. 

This is a combination of several kits, with the base being another Big Red Rod. So far I have lowered it a scale 12 in. Z'd the rear frame, built a custom Quick Change rear end, drilled the front axle, channeled the body and working on a bed from a Monogram Big T. Steering has also been reversed to put the tie rod in front of the axle. 

The engine is from a 1978 Corvette with a Big T manifold and Big Red Rod carbs. Alternator is built from parts of both Big T and Big Red parts. The valve covers are from a 1965 Corvette. 

The grill shell and radiator are from a Big T as well as th seats and center console. The steering wheel is from a Jag XKE. The Big T also donated the dash. 

Rear wheels are from the Big Red, but widend to allow me to fit a set of EBay tires, the fronts are Big T. 

The tub has been canneled, firewall smoothed, the top edge smoothed and all top mounts removed. A new floor was made in the channeled location. 

I am trying to create a car that would have been built by a young man in the 50's-70's. Parts from everywhere, lots of junk yard stuff, etc. 

I have a lot more to do, but I am making progress. 

20210606_180108.jpg

20210606_180114.jpg

20210606_180131.jpg

20210606_180155.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am finnally getting some color on this car. My original idea was to go for a bit of a rat rod theme, but then I got the idea to go with a Bronze color. This lead me to combine it with black as an accent color. However once I started, I was commited to the Bronze/Black theme. So, it is a show car instead of a rat rod. I am a long way from the finish line with this, but getting closer. I ran out of paint and need to get more. So, the body is not finished, it needs a few more coats and some clear. I also found a few spots that need some attention. 

This at least gives and idea of the final direction. 

20210619_164018.jpg

20210619_164031.jpg

20210619_164040.jpg

20210619_164050.jpg

20210619_164349.jpg

• Like 1

This is very inspirational. 

I've just got back into car modelling and will be delving into my first 1/8 scale build. 

The catalyst has been the purchase of a pile of Lindberg T bucket parts to build a short wheel base, channelled T in the vein of "Tweedy Pie" by Bob Johnson, the original builder.

Thanks for posting.

Dan

5 hours ago, vtecfour said:

This is very inspirational. 

I've just got back into car modelling and will be delving into my first 1/8 scale build. 

The catalyst has been the purchase of a pile of Lindberg T bucket parts to build a short wheel base, channelled T in the vein of "Tweedy Pie" by Bob Johnson, the original builder.

Thanks for posting.

Dan

Sounds really cool. I look forward to seeing it. 
1/8 scale gives a lot of area for custom work. 
Please post up when you get started.