Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heater Hoses

For 1/24 scale divide the 1/1 number by 24, for 1/25 scale divide by 25, for 1/8 scale divide by 8, for 1/16 scale divide by 16, 1/87 divide by 87 and so on.
For multiplication conversion divide the scale number you’re building into 1 and you will get a decimal equivalent So for 1/24 scale, 1” divided by 24=.041”.  From that number multiply the 1/1 size that you want to model and you will get the scale size. So a 2” radiator hose in 1/24 scale would be      
2”X.041=.082”. I hope that helps.

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

What size wire or what can be used to replicate heater hoses?  1/24 scale.

So to answer your question, a .815 O.D heater hose in 1/24 scale would be .0339. That’s .815 divided by 24. The closest nominal number would be .03125 or 1/32 dia.

7 hours ago, 70mach1 said:

Find some 24-26 ga. black solid core hook up wire and you are good to go

Andy, thank you for a short, simple answer. 

Seems like a lot of people will make things a lot more complicated than it has to be.

• Like 1

How complicated it is depends on how accurate (or fastidious) you want to be.  If you want accurately scaled hoses, you first need to determine the outside diameter of the1:1 hose (the specs usually only mention inside diameter).  Then (as mentioned earlier in this thread) divide that dimension by 24 or 25 to get the scale hose's outside diameter.

Next you have to find appropriate size insulated electrical wire.  There is another problem:  electrical wires usually state the gauge (diameter) of the conductor, not the outside diameter of the insulation.  There are many types of wire that have the same gauge wire inside, but the thickness of the insulation can be different.  So the best thing is to have the wire in-hand and measure the diameter of the insulation.  Next, is the color. I have seen both black, and dark red colored heater hoses, so you have to pick the right color.

As you can see, things can get complicated.  But if you don't care about absolute accuracy, just get some wire close enough in diameter, and wing-it.

I use garden tie wire, it has soft single core wire inside because it is not for use in electrics. It also easy to pull the wire core out so that you have a realistic flexible rubber tube, then you just drill and insert pigtails made from the core wire at each destination and slot the outer sleeve onto them once they're secure. When it use that way it gives more realistic curves with no links or obvious bend points. Yes it is green but it colours easy with a Sharpie marker. I've had one roll that I've had for years and it does for all sorts of lines and cables. The inner core is good for fuel and brake lines. I'm not overly concerned about the scale diameter, I just know it looks right to the eye for heater hoses on 1/24 & 1/25 kits. 

Edited by Rockford
I'm 57!

If you have a Hobby Lobby close by, look through their beading section.  They carry a product this is used for making necklaces, it is a very flexible black rubber-like tube.  It is called "Pony Bead Lacing" comes in a 5 yd/4.5m roll and has an OD of .080 in or 2 mm.  It also comes in clear, a bit large for a fuel line, but still looks good.