Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1929 Model A - Project Dusty Rose

Dave Darby

Man, she's just SO pretty! I think I agree with your hunch about the gas pedal looking a bit big. What if you gave it the same treatment you did the other pedals, and flat-blacked the center, leaving the raised chrome outline? Big ol' spot of chrome is distracting in that black floor; just my 2 pennies. Absolutely love this style of hot rod and model alike. You're NAILING it!

Love it! I remember my cousin built an original way back in '63 and it reminds me a lot of that build but he put whitewalls on the stock A tires and put the speed equipment on the little four banger. I got a lot of ideas from yours but I'm going with a set of later style exhaust manifolds that are rear dumps and the rear axle from the double dragster kit and a dropped axle from the Revell Rat Roaster '32 Ford roadster and the complete engine from the Tweedy Pie six carbs and all.I like your colors but I just have to go a little more show, so a base of Tamiya Red Metallic with a transparent red mid coat and a couple of good coats of Wet Look clear and the wire wheels and triple white sidewall tires far from the AMT Buick Riviera.

5 hours ago, horsepower said:

Love it! I remember my cousin built an original way back in '63 and it reminds me a lot of that build but he put whitewalls on the stock A tires and put the speed equipment on the little four banger. I got a lot of ideas from yours but I'm going with a set of later style exhaust manifolds that are rear dumps and the rear axle from the double dragster kit and a dropped axle from the Revell Rat Roaster '32 Ford roadster and the complete engine from the Tweedy Pie six carbs and all.I like your colors but I just have to go a little more show, so a base of Tamiya Red Metallic with a transparent red mid coat and a couple of good coats of Wet Look clear and the wire wheels and triple white sidewall tires far from the AMT Buick Riviera.

Sounds really cool. I can't wait to see your build. At an earlier point in time I was going to use the chrome wire wheels from the Monogram 32 roadster on this one. But I like your idea better. 

On 6/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, tim boyd said:

Dave....thoroughly enjoying your build thread here, and that model is looking very cool..  TIM

Thanks Tim. It's an honor to have our hobby's Keeper of the Flame enjoying some of my work. I haven't made a lot of progress this week, but I did stumble upon the Tim Boyd 80's Tribute thread the other day (I think I poked my head into the WIP trucks section for the first time). I was awestruck by great construction going on in there that was obviously influenced by you. It is ironic in light of the 80's subject matter, that this build was a a semi 80's style build in the beginning, and is now getting back dated to an early 60's vibe. Even more ironic since it's painted with a Boyd Coddington color! I recently found a hood that I had modified for it over 25 years ago... maybe I'll catch myself in a Miami Vice mood for a future project... 

20210608 201141

While this build is a bit of a tribute to Don Emmon's "California Orange" and Andy Southard Jr's roadster, you are also one of my evil influences (including some of the construction on this one), with your prolific body of work, from Street Rodder to SAE. Certainly you have far eclipsed Don's output. Your enthusiasm and support mean the world to all who know you.  For those folks who are not familiar with "California Orange", Here are a few photos from the 1962 AMT Model Car Handbook that feature it. I remember well the first time I picked up a copy of Here is Your Hobby: Model Car Building from the bookmobile - anybody remember those? The book was assembled by Bill Neumann, but the lion's share of the content was by Don, with unfortunately no credit.

AMT Model Car Handbook pg 80

AMT Model Car Handbook pg 81

AMT Model Car Handbook pg 82

AMT Model Car Handbook pg 78

I hope to make some more progress soon, so I hope you will stay tuned!

Early photo - circa 1999

Edited by Dave Darby
Flow

On 6/28/2021 at 1:18 PM, Dave Darby said:

Thanks Tim. 

I hope to make some more progress soon, so I hope you will stay tuned!

Dave, count on it! 

And like you, Don Emmons was a tremendous influence on me first as a modeler, and then as a role modeler for a model car writer/photographer.   my first really heavily modified model was inspired by his Revell Anglia story in the June, 1966 Rod and Custom.  My body of magazine work would never have happened without Don first, simple as that.  As I think you already know, I dedicated my latest book to Don, Jim Keeler, and Hank Borger as my acknowledgement of their influence on the hobby and me personally. 

And thanks very much for you comments.....I am honored.  TIM 

• 4 months later...