Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon with Trailer

Casey

That looks like the old "U-Haul" trailer that AMT also offered in the Buick Special wagon kit with some hand tools and an old swing set with a chain fall for pulling engines. How many here have ruined a swing set doing that ? I think that kit also included a Chrysler Hemi engine as well. 

1 minute ago, espo said:

That looks like the old "U-Haul" trailer that AMT also offered in the Buick Special wagon kit with some hand tools and an old swing set with a chain fall for pulling engines. How many here have ruined a swing set doing that ? I think that kit also included a Chrysler Hemi engine as well. 

Is that the same U-Haul trailer that was also used on the MPC kits from the late 60's through the early 70's?

8 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Is that the same U-Haul trailer that was also used on the MPC kits from the late 60's through the early 70's?

Maybe, I have not had one of those to know. I think at that time in the '60's AMT or one of it's owners would use MPC molds. 

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Is it this trailer? 

That’s the one. It was in 61-62 Buick wagons and the Nova. 2 different fenders, Mark and I posted about them somewhere in here. 

Bigger than the MPC Uhaul trailer. 60% bigger. Probably get a scale motorcycle on it. 

Back in those days, AMT and MPC were competing companies (though somewhat friendly the first few years), so the trailers were different in each company's kit. 

The Nova wagon's trailer and display engine was from the Buick wagon.  Budd Anderson said so in his magazine column.  The Nova's display engine is nearly all plated though, the Buick's not so much.

27 minutes ago, John Pol said:

the MPC 68 Coronet also had the U Haul trailer

I thought the same thing.  The 68, 69 Coronets, Chargers and I beleive the 70 Chellenger kits had the U-haul trailer.  They look like the same trailer.  Maybe someone can post pics of the AMT trailer and MPC U-Haul trailers next to each other for comparison.

'69 Coronet hardtop may have had the trailer, the (Mission: Impossible) convertible did not.  There was no annual '69 convertible kit, the M:I could be built stock.

I don't think any MPC Charger kit ever included that, or any other, trailer.

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

I thought the same thing.  The 68, 69 Coronets, Chargers and I beleive the 70 Chellenger kits had the U-haul trailer.  They look like the same trailer.  Maybe someone can post pics of the AMT trailer and MPC U-Haul trailers next to each other for comparison.

Like said above, the MPC '68 & '69 Coronet Hardtops and the '70 Challenger had the trailer. The Annual MPC Chargers never came with the trailer. I think the '70 Challenger was the last kit to come with the trailer. I think the axle for it migrated to the MPC '71 Cuda (to be used as a straight axle). 

I don't think the MPC trailer ever came with dedicated tires and wheels for it. I think the builder always had to use either spare mags or spare stock wheels (whichever was left over from their car build) to complete the trailer. I think that also meant that the builder had to either use slicks to complete the trailer, or put the slicks on their car and use stock tires to complete the trailer. 😲  

From what I have seen, the MPC Trailer looked more squared off, more modern, and to me, more prototypically like a late 60's U-Haul trailer than the AMT trailer did. The MPC trailer would be great for Round 2 to find. 

I think the decals in the Coronet kits (at least the '68's) had decals for the trailer that looked like U Haul logos, but said "U-Haul-It" instead.    

34 minutes ago, Mark said:

'69 Coronet hardtop may have had the trailer, the (Mission: Impossible) convertible did not.  There was no annual '69 convertible kit, the M:I could be built stock.

I don't think any MPC Charger kit ever included that, or any other, trailer.

yes the 69 Coronet H/T did have the trailer

Well guys i thought I had posted this image earlier today but it doesn't appear above.  It shows the MPC trailer, this one taken from the '68 Coronet R/T HT kit, with cut-down side and front panels (while retaining the rails at the top of the side panels), side fenders omitted, and other minor kitbashing such as the cycle tracks and wheels/tires.  As you can see, very different than the 1962/63 wagon kits trailers.  And use, the R/t kit trailer decals read "U-Haul-It" as mentioned by Bill above.  TIM 

DSC 0473 

Edited by tim boyd

On 6/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, pack rat said:

Here's the upcoming Nova trailer, just in case anyone out there is still confused..

zzzz.JPG

Thanks for sharing that, Mike.

Are the loose parts pictured from the original mold (section? insert?)?

Same tires as included with the car it looks like?