Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon with Trailer

Casey

Just now, slusher said:

yes, plus the original trailer and other goodies. Looking forward to getting one. I hope Round 2 keeps bringing these classics..

Oh. I am too Carl. Except I just wished they had added the trailer and stuff to the previous one. Or just do the Buick wagon and add it to that one.

david, I suspect the previous issue was a "Testing the Waters" deal. Had to see if the actual sales and public acceptance was in line with their own projections.

Apparently it was. So, now this kit follows. I'm sure Round2 had planned all along to do this, but could have pulled back if the Curbside '63 had been a flop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 3:47 PM, alexis said:

david, I suspect the previous issue was a "Testing the Waters" deal. Had to see if the actual sales and public acceptance was in line with their own projections.

Apparently it was. So, now this kit follows. I'm sure Round2 had planned all along to do this, but could have pulled back if the Curbside '63 had been a flop.

I don’t think the previous issue was testing the waters per se.  The second issue with the trailer is just another way for them to amortize development costs in the initial tooling investment.   I think it would be better to offer the trailer and race parts as a separate parts pack release.  Maybe they will offer the trailer and race parts as a separate kit on its own after they see how well the second release sells at a higher price point with those parts.

6 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I don’t think the previous issue was testing the waters per se.  The second issue with the trailer is just another way for them to amortize development costs in the initial tooling investment.   I think it would be better to offer the trailer and race parts as a separate parts pack release.  Maybe they will offer the trailer and race parts as a separate kit on its own after they see how well the second release sells at a higher price point with those parts.

I agree with you that the second release was planned from the beginning. 

I don’t agree with your parts pack idea.  First some of the extra engines etc are on the same trees as the standard kit. 

The trailer is its own tool, it once was issued solo as a Blueprinter special.

Lastly from conversations with industry folks. The costs of producing, boxing and shipping a parts pack is about the same as a full kit but sells for much less, thus not profitable. Nor do parts packs appeal to the casual modeler, which is the bulk of the market.

The extras like the trailers, mini bikes, go carts etc put into kits entice extra sales, especially from folks who may already have a previous release of the host kit. 

No sooner will this kit with trailer hit the shelves, you’ll find copies for sale on eBay and at shows for the kit minus the trailer!  Round 2 will have sold a complete kit.

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

First some of the extra engines etc are on the same trees as the standard kit. 

There was no engine in the first, curbside release, and I don't believe the parts layout for the full detail #1201 kit has been shown publicly yet, so I don't think anybody knows where the individual parts are located in the overall parts layout of the mold.

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The trailer is its own tool, it once was issued solo as a Blueprinter special.

No, that was a different trailer, the Service Trailer.

The AMT #1202/1201 '63 Chevy II Nova kit(s) is (are) all new, with nothing carried over nor re-used from the original, thus, the trailer and accessory engine are also new. 

7 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I think it would be better to offer the trailer and race parts as a separate parts pack release.

I agree, and would think this was planned early on is the kit's development. The trailer would be era appropriate for many kits in the Round2 tooling bank so it would be unwise to permanently twin it with the Chev II Nova 400 Wagon mold.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:41 PM, ZTony8 said:

AMT needs to find the Buick Special wagon pieces and the A frame engine hoist and all will be right with the model world.

I would bet that mold is long gone. The few pieces from that mold/kit which remain are found in the Boss Nova drag wagon, and looking at where the A frame and floor jack pieces were located among all the parts, they probably never made it out, so to speak:

AMT1962BuickSpecialWagon1.jpg.189fc8d10c7a48194acc40755b77d8c7.jpg

Compare the above with the (not exactly all original) Boss Nova below, and you'll see even some of the parts which did carry over have been rearranged-- the four fuel can pieces, for example, are no longer directly across from the parachute, cylinder heads(?), and intake manifold:

AMTBossNova.jpg.e59591f6e1e7df5e4ab6dcc8e0698dd8.jpg

For future comparison, the original trailer parts:

AMT1962BuickSpecialWagon4.jpg.481fec8033ce553fa545defefba9b747.jpg

7 hours ago, John Pol said:

I sure wish they come out if this kit again I lost both his kits when I got robbed

John, make your views known to Round 2.  I would bet this kit is on their list of possible topics for scanning/cloning/creating a new tool.  In fact, I would think it would be relatively highly ranked, though not sure what it would be up against in terms of competing for new tooling dollars at Round 2....TIM 

• 1 month later...