Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon with Trailer


Casey
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/10/2021 at 1:15 PM, Casey said:

Steve G would know.

I'm sure we'll see a built up before too long, and maybe some images of the parts themselves. The body, frame/floor, clear parts interior, etc. should all be the same as the previous curbside release, so the all-new(?) engine and restored (or all new?) retro customizing bits and accessories are still a mystery.

The Drag Hemi display engine will be included along with all the Customizing parts from what I've seen.  

-Steve

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did the HEMI come with the Nova wagon when it was originally stock? I know it came in the Buick kit

1962 Buick Special Station Wagon with Trailer (3 'n 1) Stock, Custom or  Stylized (1/25)

And the only other time I saw that HEMI was in this heap

Boxart Boss Nova 99-21441P AMT/ERTL

So technically, yes, the Nova came with the HEMI! 

Edited by Daddyfink
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Did the HEMI come with the Nova wagon when it was originally stock? I know it came in the Buick kit

The accessory Hemi V8 was included with the AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova 400 wagon kit:

AMT63ChevyIINova400Wagon1-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 5:02 PM, Dave Toups said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this at some point too

AMT T357-300 IndyDragVG+.JPG

Interesting that when that box art was created AMT didn’t have a 55-57 Chevy Pickup.. they could do that set with the Willys too!

Even though I have an original nice built up, I did buy a Nova wagon recently, pretty much out of curiosity.  Yesterday I was digging in the model room for something and found a MCW copy of that six!  Yes!

Edited by Tom Geiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming (uh-oh) the forthcoming I6 engine will be new, and not an exact copy of the original (which had a large hole, through which the metal axle passed). Same optional fuel injection option this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm assuming (uh-oh) the forthcoming I6 engine will be new, and not an exact copy of the original (which had a large hole, through which the metal axle passed). Same optional fuel injection option this time?

It would seem ridiculous for Round2 to employ the original I-6 after they revised the engine compartment ( yes , indeed the entire body ) and the chassis ; the latter having instructions to "cut here" if one is going to use the promo-style engine / trans 'plate' .

I'm hoping that Round2 will include a radiator ,battery , and brake master with this latest offering .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

It would seem ridiculous for Round2 to employ the original I-6 after they revised the engine compartment 

I don't see why. Plenty of SBCs available, but very few Chevy I6 engines. Considering the original included one, and this kit is more or less an homage to the original, it makes sense to me. Steve G or Mike W would probably know or could comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a correct stock version, a six would be included as with the original kit.  Chevrolet didn't offer a factory installed V8 until '64, though the parts for the installation could be bought at the dealer's parts counter from day one.

That said, AMT's '63 Nova hardtop and convertible annual kits did include a V8 engine, and not a six.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't see why. Plenty of SBCs available, but very few Chevy I6 engines. Considering the original included one, and this kit is more or less an homage to the original, it makes sense to me.

I should have specified that I was referring to the original , hole-through-the-block I-6 . Given , too , that the existing chassis plate has everything moulded-in , a newly-created --or even a modified original-- Six / 'Glide combo would be the likely candidate .  Even if Round2 et al. decides to include the original hole-in-block engine , I'm okay with that , too .  One can always fill-in the hole with plastic , sprue , etc.  , or even kitbash with the 1966 Nova SS / Pro Street ( which has already been done ) . 

I'm planning on getting one or two anyhow . If I'm ambitious enough , I'll modify this version --- we'll see how the pending Moebius Chevy II stacks . Perhaps it'll provide a better basis for kitbashing ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm hoping that Round2 will include a radiator ,battery , and brake master with this latest offering .

John....check out the "old vs. new" image below of the engine compartment on the curbside Nova wagon version....note the opening for the radiator and the new battery tray (vs. the old, molded in place radiator and battery).  And what appears to be an engraved place on the firewall to locate a brake cylinder.....So pretty sure your wishes should be granted....

DSC 0533

More images from new Round 2 curbside review....

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tim boyd said:

John....check out the "old vs. new" image below of the engine compartment on the curbside Nova wagon version....note the opening for the radiator and the new battery tray (vs. the old, molded in place radiator and battery).  And what appears to be an engraved place on the firewall for a brake cylinder.....So pretty sure your wishes should be granted....

Thanks much for the refresher , Tim . That's exactly why I'm hoping for the radiator , etc. , in the latest iteration ( I built a copy of the de facto curbside with the engine / trans 'plate' , and Mod-Podge'd the bonnet ( I can always easily remove the hood should I feel compelled to add an engine down the road ). 

Whatever the outcome , I love this kit ; this new direction which Round2 is heading . 

Thanks again for the comparison photo and link to your review . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't see why. Plenty of SBCs available, but very few Chevy I6 engines. Considering the original included one, and this kit is more or less an homage to the original, it makes sense to me. Steve G or Mike W would probably know or could comment.

One of the things that lead me to pre order one of these kits is for the I-6 that was the stock motor that was part of the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't see why. Plenty of SBCs available, but very few Chevy I6 engines. Considering the original included one, and this kit is more or less an homage to the original, it makes sense to me. Steve G or Mike W would probably know or could comment.

All new tooling I-6 without the big axle hole, otherwise it's a straight up clone of the original customizing kit with the addition of a separate battery, radiator and brake cylinder.  Plus the kit will be jam packed with all the Customizing parts and Accessory items jut like the original. 

-Steve

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wouldn't break my heart if R2 offered a 6 cylinder if for no other reason than to be used on other projects. I think most of use would have a small block or three in a parts box somewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

All new tooling I-6 without the big axle hole, otherwise it's a straight up clone of the original customizing kit with the addition of a separate battery, radiator and brake cylinder.  Plus the kit will be jam packed with all the Customizing parts and Accessory items jut like the original. 

-Steve

That would be great.  Add it to this yet to build

 

SAM_2279.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been away from modeling due to juggling a new job and rehabbing an 80 year old house, however when I heard they were redoing the Nova kit, I made a point of buying three of it. That's my way of encouraging and supporting the companies doing good work. I can only hope AMT does the same trick with their old 60-63 Ford F-100.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2021 at 7:28 AM, espo said:

It wouldn't break my heart if R2 offered a 6 cylinder if for no other reason than to be used on other projects. I think most of use would have a small block or three in a parts box somewhere. 

The V8 from the original '63 hardtop and convertible kits will drop right in - although it has a manual transmission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The V8 from the original '63 hardtop and convertible kits will drop right in - although it has a manual transmission.

That would be fine with me since that's the way I would build it anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...