Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other Styrene Projects

NOBLNG

My wife bought a couple new kitchen knives for our fifth wheel trailer. We only have one drawer to store all our utensils in. So I made a couple of styrene sheaths for them to protect them from rattling around and getting dull. I used tamiya cement to laminate it together because I really wanted the layers “welded” together. Has anyone else made any thing out of styrene, other than models?

3F885C49-55BC-4151-BEC4-682293F8103E.jpeg

08268C02-336A-49BD-98A6-5A3823AA50B6.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

We were doing fish counts on SCUBA and I needed a large slate for underwater use. I made a nice one out of some .1 inch styrene sheet. Drilled a hole for a wrist lanyard, and another for a string to the pencil and I was set. I even made it left handed. 

Years ago, our wall phone's little clip that held the earpiece on broke.  It was a complicated shape, and the mfr wanted a high price for a replacement.  I was able to make a workable piece by laminating sheet styrene.

I made dividers for my camera bag with thick styrene sheet wrapped in cloth & velcro. Just took an ordinary backpack camera bag and made dividers to fit my equipment. Lenses, filters, shutter cable, etc all have their own place and they stay in place. Normally the bag comes with these dividers, but this was a clearance item with them missing. 

Also made a change holder/tray for the console of my car. Wrapped the styrene in felt the same color as the console box of the car. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made an on/off indicator for the ice maker in my refrigerator/freezer. It doesn’t shut itself off when the container is full of ice, so it’s easy to have it overflowing or to run out. 

6BE5FCC9-5BFE-4A81-A3FE-17B6939200D0.jpeg

C776E33C-8A1F-4C63-82DF-DECBBD07DAE4.jpeg