Model Cars Magazine Forum

built in 1984, out-of-the-box, cab/hood brush-painted, dumper body sprayed with Revell matte grey enamel .

My very first try on weathering a vehicle (using Revell matte light brown and matte clear from the spray-can) lets it look like a brand-new truck after its first working day on a muddy construction site...

(At least this is one of the few that has survived several moves undamaged...)

P1000598.JPG.b4915237328e820f7df40579c48ecce8.JPG

P1000601.JPG.ef3b1e446061a2aa94ebbb485bd9af80.JPG

P1000602.JPG.954967338bb6598bf269724ff60cdc61.JPG

P1000622.JPG.960ad0f2a9f8210b76bf58d41a416591.JPG

P1000603.JPG.618efd5927cb2bac6ea58a36f23ffe36.JPG

P1000604.JPG.6de7346eb73764c4d99bc9523d99242b.JPG

16 hours ago, Jim B said:

That looks really nice.  Weathering is well done.

Thanks, James!

14 hours ago, Warren D said:

Still looks great.  I have mine that I built around the same time, maybe a little earlier.  Like yours, mine has survived a few moves and still looks good.

Thanks, Warren - that proves again that Autocars were strong and tough :-)

7 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Looks good all nice and dirty.   I have one of these in the pile.  I'll get to it one of these days, or maybe years.

Thanks, Doug !

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

Thank you, Chris - I would build it differently today - inspired by several models here on the forum - but I will keep this one as it is.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I love the weathering, very realistic. 

Thanks, Gareth - it didn't come out as I wanted, but it was my first trial.

21 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

If that cab and hood is an example of brush painting, that is outstanding!  What kind of paint and what brushes did you use?

Thank you Charles - the  color are Humbrol enamels which I bought 40 years ago - as other modelers here on the board said, they have obviously have altered their recipe, and the paint is not so smooth anymore. i have not bought any of these in the last 20 years, so I have no actual experiences with them. Back then, you could brush glossy paints on evenly (directly on the plastic), and they covered the bodies almost without any streaks - for brushes I always bought cheap sets of hair brushes: 5 or 6 brushes in different sizes which cost between 6 and 9 $ a set)

20 hours ago, brian falcone said:

Very nice !

Thanks, Brian!

38 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Thanks, Gareth - it didn't come out as I wanted, but it was my first trial.

Thanks, Brian!

Well, for your first trial it came out looking spectacular! Honestly, it looks really good. I've yet to venture into weathering other than a little blackwash here and there. I need to take that brave step and chuck some dirt on my builds.

22 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Thanks, Helmut.  I've seen some really outstanding military models done with a brush and it was impossible to tell that they were not airbrushed, the finish was so smooth.  It's too bad that paints today are not made with the durability and quality that they once had.  

It could be due to the environmental restrictions that the cemical composition of those colors has been changed. Nowadays several things are forbitten that have been in everyday use back in the day.

22 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Well, for your first trial it came out looking spectacular! Honestly, it looks really good. I've yet to venture into weathering other than a little blackwash here and there. I need to take that brave step and chuck some dirt on my builds.

Just try it, Gareth - can be cool, if just for something different. I also weathered a IH Paystar logging truck, but this was heavily overdone.

16 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Excellent old build and awesome weathering   

Thanks, Dan!

Agreed, Gareth.  One of the most prevalent issues I have found in weathering is that it can be overdone very easily.  I've tried studying where various types of weathering should be placed based on real vehicles in real work situations and for older vehicles that have been weathered by the sun where most of the changes take place.  It's a fun study.  The military modelers have perfected weathering using a variety of techniques so check out IPMS if you are interested and see what kind of information they have.  

23 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Agreed, Gareth.  One of the most prevalent issues I have found in weathering is that it can be overdone very easily.  I've tried studying where various types of weathering should be placed based on real vehicles in real work situations and for older vehicles that have been weathered by the sun where most of the changes take place.  It's a fun study.  The military modelers have perfected weathering using a variety of techniques so check out IPMS if you are interested and see what kind of information they have.  

Will do, thanks. Yeah, I worry I'll end up making my model look like just a messy painted model rather than looking weathered.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Beautiful work, Man... This is a very good looking model... I'm not sure why I don't have one of these things, yet... Very nicely done...

Thank you, JT - you have always the possibility to paint it in orange, if you like...

• 2 weeks later...