Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Capri Sled.

carbuilder1950

Once every several years I run across some car part, like a bumper or grill, that inspires me to build a car. Sometimes the car turns out to be mostly handmade with the added pieces to complete the build.

In this case it was a 1/24 presidential 1950 Lincoln limousine glass bubble top diecast, and the beautiful front bumper and grill, but especially that rear incredibly looong bumper and beautiful continental kit combination. I couldn't resist all that.

So I pretty much hand made the body, modified a whole lot of pieces for the chassis and interior, and gave it a garnet red pearl metallic paint job, and made a top for it, and about 7 years later I was done. Sometimes I take a break or

a long nap - LOL

The little shiny round things on the door jams are magnets.

The last pic is the Lincoln next to an AMT 1/25 1949 Mercury.

089.JPG

097.JPG

092.JPG

083.JPG

084.JPG

092.JPG

107.JPG

106.JPG

018.JPG

013.JPG

006.JPG

014.JPG

019.JPG

010.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

013.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950
  • Like 1

• carbuilder1950 changed the title to 1/24 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Capri Sled.
2 hours ago, lucky 130 said:

Really nice take on a custom. I really like the way you took the "dip" out of the door, I've not seen that done. Sweet!

@lucky 130

Thank you.

FYI. There were 2 Lincoln body styles made in 1950. The "lido" and the "Capri."

The Cosmopolitan "Lido" was a 1950 Mercury "Lincolnized" with a Lincoln front clip but still retaining the side "dip" you mentioned. See 2nd pic below in kind of a grayish/brown color.

The one I created is the flat sided Cosmopolitan "Capri", see pic below in blue, with the chrome "eyelids" over each wheel well opening.

Kind of a plain ugly sort of car, but I saw potential.

DSCN8035.thumb.JPG.4e580fb9b6dcbee5e23cee1b79cbedec.JPG

DSCN8036.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950

1 hour ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Wow, another great build with perfect proportions and fit. The tight fit of the doors to the body is especially noteworthy, rarely seen in a diecast model. Hard to imagine it was a presidential limo.

Thank you so much.

Actually @Maindrian Pace only the grill, bumpers, dash, steering wheel and chrome eyebrows came from the diecast limo.

The body you see was hand made of plastic and body filler.

Sorry if my explanation confused you.

Dave

Edited by carbuilder1950

24 minutes ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Hey, if anything, that makes it all the more impressive. Did you make the hood too?

@Maindrian Pace

Yes sir.

I pretty much made everything as the scale was so much bigger, 1/24, than all that was available, and I even stretched it a bit more to get the look I wanted.

I made the doors, roof and trunk lid too, as well as the body, using any pieces I could find that I could make work. I was a lot of fun and very challenging too. I've been an artist and engineer all my life, so both came in handy at scratch-building things.

Nothing like a great challenge