Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modern modifications: why no "Parts Paks" for these?

I mostly just build/rebuild kits from my modest collection bought in the early sixties, but since so many are 'rescued' (smushed, parts missing, and the usual) I've 'resto-modded' a number of 'em.  But, there are SO many more modern components that we use now that are not available; I wondered why some enterprising resin guy (or even mainstream source?) doesn't make something like the old 'Parts Paks' for these!

A good instance would be the resin-body conversion I'm doing on a '51 Chevy two-door to match our 1:1 restomod of Dad's old '51 two-door Styleline two-door sedan; it now has a SBC and 5-speed with FiTech injection, Mustang II front end, S-10 Blazer rear end (discs all 'round), and some other mods under the skin.  I don't want to (and won't ) buy and break up a MII or Pinto kit to get the IFS and R&P steering, but... I can't just run the stocker, either. The SBC (with real '63 427 valve covers!) is easy, however if I try to scratch-build the rest -- probably won't look great, and will take too long in the bargain.

There are dozens of mostly mechanical parts that would find an eager market, and could be cast from annual or other kit protos (or 3-D printed, I dunno!) including turbos, 9-inch Ford rear ends, modern LS stuff, Gen II Hemi (sorry no TM, guys), and much more.  Vintage speed parts too: Paxton-McCullough blower kits, the old AMT Latham blower, Fenton flat-head headers, etc.  

The thing is; I can't trade for all the bits I'd like to have  (some are really small, and esoteric, anyway) and I'm not a guy who buys dozens of kits a year (money mostly goes to 1:1 cars, so far, at age 75) just to bash out parts.  Anyone else think this is a good idea?  Just me sayin'

Parts packs have always been somewhat high in proportion to the cost of a complete kit.  About the same amount of labor is used in the making and packaging of a parts pack (essentially a portion of a kit) as is used for a complete kit.  The manufacturer gets a bigger return on the complete kit, so that's where they tend to allocate their resources.

Clearly scale was doing some stuff that you might find interesting. 

https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/collections/detail-parts/products/gm-l53-efi-v8-engine-set-1-25th-scale

Seems like more guys (on here) build old cars to 100% factory spec but hopefully someone else know if some more companies to help you.

Also maybe the 3D printing guys can help you out. 

Edited by Sandboarder

There actually is a fair amount of stuff like you want already out there, but you kinda have to dig for it...and it's not cheap.

Here's a pro-touring 4-link Ford 9" setup, for instance...at about $15 including shipping.

Resin 4 Link Rear Suspension Dropped Custom Pro Touring Ford 9 Axle 1/24 1/25

There are also late-model GM, Ford, and Chrysler Corp engines around from time to time. IIRC "Iceman Collections" makes something...

In the past, I sourced a fair number of Ford 9" rear ends in NASCAR kits that you could get for almost nothing for a long time. Same with early LS engines from the C5 kits that were dirt cheap for years. And occasionally somebody will part out a bunch of Revell Willys street rods, selling the chassis, rear end, and Pinto IFS for considerably less than a full kit.

But like I said, you have to dig for the stuff....and the market isn't as strong as you'd like to think. The vast majority of car modelers are entirely content to build what's in the box, maybe swapping wheels and tires if they're really going hog-wild. It's not at all like the glory days when a lot more modelers wanted to build something unique, and even then, the parts-packs weren't huge sellers.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
oh blah di, oh blah da.

22 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

There actually is a fair amount of stuff like you want already out there, but you kinda have to dig for it...and it's not cheap

If you are looking for specific items, ask here on the board. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction. If it’s resin or 3D printed you can order.

If people recommend parts from kits, you can buy that kit.. there are low cost sources like Hobby Lobby 40% off sale, or eBay.

There are also guys selling individual parts on eBay. And you can always post in the Wanted section of this board. Either trade or some of us will simply mail you the parts to help your project along. 

For front suspension I'd recomend motobitz mustang 2 types suspension sets, and they also do the best jag independant set I've seen(prob more 70s). I've got plenty of icemans engines and they are pretty nice but he also does pro touring frames for cars and trucks along with suspension parts. I think it could be an avenue for the model companies to explore though if they already have modern engines in other kits, sorta a modern take on the old 2 in 1 kits. For example theres a nice supercharged ls in the revent amt camaro (and they seem to pretty cheap on ebay) that I think is nicer than the one in revells corvette (it just looks undersized)

Edited by stitchdup

I'll pitch this one just one more time: I think Round 2 should tool up a Hellcat engine with a miniature Hellcrate box (and the appropriate items that come with it: wheels, tires, tools etc.), and offer it in their Garage Accessories Series. They could do a Mopar themed offering that includes two complete engines that could be used either for dioramas or for customizing cars. Throw a few other bits in the box, offer at the same retail price as their other garage accessory sets, and I'm sure they will have a seller on their hands.  

For that matter, they could also do some GM and Ford themed crate engine accessory packs. With two engines in each box, with one wheel and tire set and some extras such as hood scoops, decals, posters and tools, I think there would be a lot of interest in something like this.   

Round 2: you're welcome.      

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, thanks!  That's what I was afraid of... buying new/collector kits to get a few components.  Bear in mind that my interest is in mostly 1940-1965 cars. and that's what I have in my small (preserved) cache.  The late model LS engine would almost loosen my purse strings, if I needed that one!  The MII front group: couldn't someone who knows more about replicating than I do make some repops of that tree?

I always bought the old kits that came with two mills; still have a number of flatheads that I didn't use c. 1960 -- and I'm using them now!  I have so many Ford Y-blocks that I'm going to use four to make a 'Hillbilly Showboat' dragster -- eventually.  This '51 project isn't going to get an accurate modern front suspension, probably; I don't have time enough left to fab one, at almost 76 years of age.  Not and finish up my other priority kits, I guess.  Wick Humble Chico CA

• Sad 1

A lot of us of a certain age share your interest in rescuing classic kits Wick. Reading a builder's spec sheet at a current model show reminds me of looking at similar material at a real car show. The lists of resin,photo etched and outside sourced parts on some models is staggering! I have seen builders print a regular book of that information to put with their models. I know builders that will a current kit for it's engine alone and sell the rest for practically nothing. All I can offer is to follow some of the sourcing tips listed here by members. There is a huge pool of helpful members ready and willing to help.

Just now, misterNNL said:

A lot of us of a certain age share your interest in rescuing classic kits Wick. Reading a builder's spec sheet at a current model show reminds me of looking at similar material at a real car show. The lists of resin,photo etched and outside sourced parts on some models is staggering! I have seen builders print a regular book of that information to put with their models. I know builders that will a current kit for it's engine alone and sell the rest for practically nothing. All I can offer is to follow some of the sourcing tips listed here by members. There is a huge pool of helpful members ready and willing to help. At 78 I share your sense of getting things done now while I still have steady hands and good vision.

I think 3d resin printing is well on the way of providing the parts you're talking about and at a relatively good price point if you print them yourself . Sounds like a 3d resin printer might not be for you but I think it will be a popular tool for a lot of model builders.  

Okay: resin cast, 3-D printed, made of epoxy spot-filler cast in Fix-All... all are okay, I'm sure, But I can't do 'em.  Likewise, buying new kits for an engine or needed bits, esp. on the collector's market, is out at my age and stage of the game.  I guess i'm licked unless one of the (seemingly) dwindling repro sources can help.  I don't mind the dough so much, on a project like the '51 Chevy, a replica of Dad's car that I'm restomodding for my son, so if anyone has a MII/Pinto front suspension for sale... ?  I'm a 1:1 restorer, and I abhor fake-a-loo model details, esp on kits that can be viewed from undersides.  On the other hand, I don't have time (life) to start plumbing in brake lines and hose clamps, etc.  So... if I can find someone to learn me resin-casting, I guess that's the way to go; amazing how many plastic modelers do not live in my area, it seems. I joined an IPMS chapter an hour's drive away, but haven't been to a meeting yet as they are in the eveining, and now days I don't drive late at night... guess I should just tell it to the chaplain, huh?  But, I still think the Parts Pak thing is good, at least for some aftermarketers.   BTW, in my kit heyday, I bought all the P.P. series, though some of them were silly (overchromed, etc.) so I know that they did make the mfr. some dough.  Still have many of the bits, too.  Wick

Dude, Do you really need a stock 1/25 Mustang II/Pinto front suspension? 

If so. Again, It's in the Beatnik Bandit II kit.  Bone stock as they came from the factory. 

Resin is the new "parts packs"  The only difference between working with resin and styrene plastic is the glue you use.