Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: AMT 1978 Ford 4x4 Pickup - Firestone

wow. all i can say is wow. This is by far the worst kit i have ever built in my life. up to now every single piece has been warped. everyone. i even exchanged it with hobby lobby 3 times, and they are all the same. 

only my love for this truck is pushing me forward. i have contacted AMT to try to get replacement parts for the ones that are so bad, i dont think i can fix it.  i have the same kit that i abandoned several years ago that is turning out to be my only relief. on the old one, i had messed up the bed pretty badly, and the body was really messed up.

on this one the hood, the both of the bed panels, the bed floor, all so twisted and warped, its hard to work with. unfortunately for me, the bed was what i messed up previously so i couldnt take anything from the old one.

at this point i have managed to get the bed together and mostly square. i also got one of the bed panels glued in straight enough that it doesnt look warped. the other panel is really twisted. i tried putting it in hot water, and twisting it back. and trying to tape it in shape, so far nothing is helping. 

i ordered one from amazon, in hopes that its really old stock, that isnt warped, but i dont think so. it looks like the 2019 ones are warped and the 2017 are not. the 2017 have the body mismolded a bit on the bottom, but everything else is generally ok. the 2019 has the body corrected, but everything else on the body is warped. 

if the amazon one is 2019, i am going to return it. i dont have interest in ever building this one again.

i love the 1978/79 ford truck design so much, which is the only reason i am continuing. i have seen this kit built nicely, so i know it can be done, but i am hoping its not too much for my skills and patience. 

i will post pictures once i get the other bed panel on, but i think its going to need to wait for either the amazon order or the amt replacement parts shipment. i dont think im going to bother with the other pieces until i get a good panel or can fix this one. 

Edited by youpey

I'm with you. This is one of the worst kits I've encountered. Nothing fit right. I got about 3/4 done, then put it in a box out of frustration. That was about 4 years ago. I'm sure I'll finish at some point.

Despite my issues, there have definitely been some nice builds of those truck posted here. Looking forward to seeing what you make of it. 

i just got an email from round2. they say 2 to 4 weeks or longer for the replacement part. if the amazon one isnt good, this is going to the closet for a while. how much do you want to bet when the replacement part does come, that it will be warped too

i think i will work on the revell gmc pickup with snowplow instead. or maybe finish the bronco or ford courier i have wip.

i dont typically buy amt stuff, but i really liked the subject. meh, this ruined my whole lunch break now

Edited by youpey

the kit from amazon came in and it has no real warping at all. i put together the bed in about 1 hour. on the warped kit i spent most of saturday trying to get it right.

the tailgate is a bit warped, but other than that, this one is better. 

I got the bed done and it looks really good. Its not 100% perfect, but i think like 98%. Considering there are not alignment pins or something to line it up, im very happy with how it came out.   The hood has slight warp to it. im hoping keeping it taped in place will help. 

16237262825621486672507794309980.jpg

16237263251908817956517039047715.jpg