Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tesla or other EV power units?

Has anybody ever seen a Tesla Drive Unit, or really any variation of EV Drive Unit 3D printed or in resin?  I’m wanting to make something that is EV swapped, but can’t seem to find that on Google or Shapeways, or even something that kinda like that. If there isn’t something like it already, a Model S drive unit would be fairly easy to fab up.

image.jpeg.8f8cc0a952f75752fcae81b340a075e5.jpegimage.jpeg.acf13bab8c2dc2ec355c785d9d7efcc9.jpeg

Edited by Joe Handley

18 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Off the top of my head, the closest I have seen to a motor for EV is the Revell BMW I8 (which is a hybrid).  The LaFerrari is very specialized on hybrid ability

That’s what I was thinking too, Gerry, but the i8’s are back ordered and the ones out there are expensive right now. I was looking I to getting one for the club project this year.

It would be nice to see electric cars being kitted though, especially as the national EV fleet grows.

Edited by Joe Handley

Waaaaaaaaayyyyy back in 2013, I did a twin-turbine/hybrid rig loosely based on the Jaguar C-X75 concept car setup.

Electric drivetrains are just like every other automotive power unit...they're as individual in appearance as their design team; as you say, not hard to scratch up something that looks believable.

From the looks of that you could almost take a big transfer case for the gear box and add the electric motors to it then place in an IRS suspension. Similarly, you could take a C5 or up rear end with the transmission in the rear and add the motor to that unit. There are also adapters to mount the electric motor to a traditional transmission. 

20200428_112204.jpg.0f972fee21dfa9de75ae50de36f72650.jpgimages.jpeg.4c5150a095abe6f07efd7aeebd585ca6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

From the looks of that you could almost take a big transfer case for the gear box and add the electric motors to it then place in an IRS suspension. Similarly, you could take a C5 or up rear end with the transmission in the rear and add the motor to that unit. There are also adapters to mount the electric motor to a traditional transmission. 

20200428_112204.jpg.0f972fee21dfa9de75ae50de36f72650.jpgimages.jpeg.4c5150a095abe6f07efd7aeebd585ca6.jpeg

Oddly enough Brian, I had the same thoughts in both cases! I even picked up a Foose C7 and was going to pull the transaxle out of that and put the motor from my Axial SCX24 (which now brushless😁) on it for that, but it’s molded to the chassis, so if I do that, I may have to pull apart a Vette kit I may already have.  I’ve also spent the last 24+ Hours trying to remember if I have something to rob a transfer case out of that may not get built……….

9 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Oddly enough Brian, I had the same thoughts in both cases! I even picked up a Foose C7 and was going to pull the transaxle out of that and put the motor from my Axial SCX24 (which now brushless😁) on it for that, but it’s molded to the chassis, so if I do that, I may have to pull apart a Vette kit I may already have.  I’ve also spent the last 24+ Hours trying to remember if I have something to rob a transfer case out of that may not get built……….

Let me check.  I MAY have a parts Revell C5 Vette which has a separate transaxle.  

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Let me check.  I MAY have a parts Revell C5 Vette which has a separate transaxle.  

Thanks!

I know I have a Revell Z06 C5 that I was going to put the engine in a Monogram Fiero, I just need to go and look for both, plus I have 2 C6 ZR1 kits upstairs and a regular C6 somewhere.  I also have a late 90's Silverado 4x4 from Revell that may donate the transfer case for the 1st project and once I figure out where I put that mild kustom Ranchero I had at a club meeting a few years ago, that was going to get the SCX24 motor I pulled out of Dad's truck when that went brushless.

Edited by Joe Handley