Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1971 Plymouth Duster 340. Go Mango Orange.

Dragonhawk1066

Here's a quick little update on this one I started last week. I primed the body, firewall, and engine in white, and the rest of the parts in black. I taped off the interior panels yesterday and painted them and the seats in white primer over the black this morning. I airbrushed the exhaust and floor pan in Vallejo Aluminum, and the steering linkage and exhaust manifolds in steel earlier today, as well as the engine in Testors Orange Acrylic. I decided to go ahead and paint the body before lunch too, and it turned out pretty good. I will color sand the orange on this one before taping off the rest of the body so I can paint the top of the fenders, door panels and around the windows black. I sprayed some dull-cote onto the wheels Friday too, but I didn't like how they looked, so I put them into a container of LA's Totally Awesome overnight. When weather permits again (rain tomorrow looks like) I'll get the wheels primed and painted in Vallejo Aluminum.

DSCN7297.JPG

DSCN7299.JPG

DSCN7300.JPG

DSCN7302.JPG

DSCN7303.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looking good! That body looks really cool in orange. Nice detailed interior as well.

20 hours ago, cobraman said:

I like it. It's a pretty nice kit. I just finished mine today.

11 hours ago, oldscool said:

That is a perfect color for this car.

Thanks guys, this is what I'm going for, except with a white & black interior and I'll keep the hood flat with the 340 Wedge decal.

I agree Ray, it's been a nice kit so far, although I haven't really assembled anything yet, LOL.

A word of advice if you haven't built one of these kits before, final assembly will go much smoother if you remove the flange from the bottom of the front windshield. It doesn't allow the interior to go up into the body far enough which in turn doesn't allow the body to fit all the way down over the chassis. You may even have to grind a little off the front of the dash as well.

10 hours ago, oldscool said:

A word of advice if you haven't built one of these kits before, final assembly will go much smoother if you remove the flange from the bottom of the front windshield. It doesn't allow the interior to go up into the body far enough which in turn doesn't allow the body to fit all the way down over the chassis. You may even have to grind a little off the front of the dash as well.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye on those areas.

I forgot to post the pics of the look I'm after, except with a white and black interior, and the flat hood. The black around the side windows, especially along the roof and front pillars is going to be fun!

71dstorg5235 0013962.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cobraman said:

Gerald buddy, where were you when I built mine ? 😀

Sorry Ray but I kind of come and go on the forum as some of you may have noticed. Not working right now so I have been spending more time reading posts in the last few days.

I saw your build but it was too late to warn you.

I got the interior buttoned up, the front and rear chassis done, exhaust on and engine installed. Now I just have to catch up on the body. I wet-sanded the Go Mango, and it's ready for clear, the black on top of the doors, cowl, and around the windows, decals, and foil but I have to figure out the best order in which to do it all. I'm thinking of doing the clear, wet-sanding it after a few days, then the black followed by satin clear on the black, then polishing the Go Mango with Novus #2 followed by wax,  then the foil and decals last.

DSCN7305.JPG

DSCN7306.JPG

DSCN7307.JPG

DSCN7308.JPG

DSCN7309.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, oldscool said:

Thanks again for the tip, I removed the piece from the bottom of the windshield, then did a test fit and everything fits perfectly (hope I didn't jinx it for final assembly, lol), and I did  see where there would have been a problem. I may have to do the same to the rear window (I didn't have that one in for test fit).

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

1 hour ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks again for the tip, I removed the piece from the bottom of the windshield, then did a test fit and everything fits perfectly (hope I didn't jinx it for final assembly, lol), and I did  see where there would have been a problem. I may have to do the same to the rear window (I didn't have that one in for test fit).

Glad to be helpful. I didn't have to mess with the rear window on mine.

I went ahead and put the decals on this morning. Hopefully I can get the clear on tomorrow. A few days after that I'll tape off the areas for the cowl, around the door windows, and top of the fenders to be painted satin black, and then lay down some satin clear while it's still taped off.

DSCN7311.JPG

DSCN7312.JPG

DSCN7316.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 6:49 AM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I forgot to post the pics of the look I'm after, except with a white and black interior, and the flat hood. The black around the side windows, especially along the roof and front pillars is going to be fun!

71dstorg5235 0013962.jpg

unnamed.jpg

I've always wondered what one of these would look like with a set of Magnum 500 wheels on it.... 😉😉

11 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

I've always wondered what one of these would look like with a set of Magnum 500 wheels on it.... 😉😉

Pretty cool reflection in the window, eh? LOL. I didn't really notice that when I first found the pic on Google, but it's a pretty cool effect. I've only seen a couple of Duster's with the 500's, and on one they're a little oversized, like maybe 16 or 17", but it's really a good look.

• Like 1

I got a nice little break in the weather yesterday and sprayed the clear on. I have to say it looks pretty darned good. I'll let it set for a couple of days before taping off to spray the black. Kind of makes me kick myself for being a little complacent on the '68 Chevelle I did before this one. I thought it looked good enough to not wet-sand the paint before clear when I really should have. Oh well, live and learn no more short cuts, but I'm very happy with it and very happy with this one so far.

DSCN7343.JPG

DSCN7342.JPG