Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ordering from Hobbylinc.com

I ordered a kit from them (it was in stock) few weeks ago. Quick and painless transaction.  I placed the order, they sent me a PayPal invoice, few days later it was shipped via DHL.

I have to admit due to the Japanese/English translation, and Japanese ways of dealing with things in general the ordering process might be a bit awkward, but I still got the model I wanted.  I'm pretty sure that if the website shows the item in stock, it will be shipped promptly (within few days).  But you should not expect Amazon Prime type of same-day order and delivery speed.  Things take time. We are spoiled by the "Amazons of the world", so if we don't get instant gratification, we get miffed.

I've used them and hlj quite often. The people that had long wait times most likely had some items that were backordered/arriving soon or had items in their personal warehouse (this is where items ordered but not in stock are stored after paying while they wait for the other items to come into stock, so if you dont check the box they will hold orders until the entire order can be sent) and didn't tick the box to say send now. Its easy to overlook the box as its light blue/grey on a white background. They are good if you want Japanese kits as you can save about a third or more on the retail price (not on euro or usa kits) and really for kits coming from halfway round the planet shipping isn't too bad. Another place worth looking into is bna modelworld in Australia, good prices (check the exchange rates first but my last order was near $2aus to the £) and cheap fast shipping with a lot of aftermarket stuff that is discontinued and out of stock elsewhere and their first language is english

Edited by stitchdup

If they have it in stock, you can bet it is more than likely the cheapest price of anywhere else.  Always my first stop.  And they have great service as well.

Megahobby has a great selection of models and are usually just a buck or two higher.  If Hobbylinc is out of something, this is my next stop.

Andy's Hobby Headquarters is also a good place to order from.  Sometimes they run special sales, but not like HobbyLinc.  They stock some useful stuff like Aoshima detail sets, Uschi van der Rosten decals, etc.  

Tip:  don't click on the "Cars" category.  That will return all the 1/35 scale military cars/trucks plus everything else.  Go to the search bar and enter "1/24 scale." 

Andys Hobby Headquarter | Official Onlinestore — AndysHHQ

Edited by Mike999

I've used Hobbylinc a few times, and have never had an issue. Pricing is good, product was in stock, shipping was fairly priced (to Canada) and quick. Would order again.

Have used Hobby Link Japan way more often, and they're even easier to work with, and surprisingly ship faster to Canada than any US company I've ordered from.

6 minutes ago, peteski said:

Funny that the question was specifically about a Japanese online store, and yet most everybody pops in with helpful recommendations of American-based shops. :blink:

The op asked about hobbylinc which is an American company. If he meant hobby link japan, it is not clear as he’s used the spelling for the American shop.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Mike999 said:

Andy's Hobby Headquarters is also a good place to order from.  Sometimes they run special sales, but not like HobbyLinc.  They stock some useful stuff like Aoshima detail sets, Uschi van der Rosten decals, etc.  

Tip:  don't click on the "Cars" category.  That will return all the 1/35 scale military cars/trucks plus everything else.  Go to the search bar and enter "1/24 scale." 

Andys Hobby Headquarter | Official Onlinestore — AndysHHQ

Andy's is just down the street from me (retail store AND new warehouse). I'm sure that by now I've made a fairly substantial contribution to his kid's college fund. But his first love is armor - he's kind of light on cars.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, plasticprime said:

Andy's is just down the street from me (retail store AND new warehouse). I'm sure that by now I've made a fairly substantial contribution to his kid's college fund. But his first love is armor - he's kind of light on cars.

There are much better hobby stores here than Andy's, Id give up the hobby if Andy's was the only place to get hobby products from.

Try Hobby Bench at 43rd Ave and Bell road, or 19th Ave Northern

The best LHS we have in terms of supplies is Hobby Depot in Tempe

Not sure if you aware or interested , but we have local model club, if you are , send me a message.

7 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

There are much better hobby stores here than Andy's, Id give up the hobby if Andy's was the only place to get hobby products from.

Try Hobby Bench at 43rd Ave and Bell road, or 19th Ave Northern

The best LHS we have in terms of supplies is Hobby Depot in Tempe

Not sure if you aware or interested , but we have local model club, if you are , send me a message.

I've been to the Hobby Depot a few times, but we're on the other side of the valley, so it's really too far to go (especially when the AC in your vehicle is out). And if Matt (Bell Rd Hobby Bench manager) has any kids, I've made my fair contribution to their college fund as well! Appreciate the club suggestion - not sure that's for me, but I might give it a try sometime. Thanks!.

1 hour ago, plasticprime said:

I've been to the Hobby Depot a few times, but we're on the other side of the valley, so it's really too far to go (especially when the AC in your vehicle is out). And if Matt (Bell Rd Hobby Bench manager) has any kids, I've made my fair contribution to their college fund as well! Appreciate the club suggestion - not sure that's for me, but I might give it a try sometime. Thanks!.

Yes, Hobby Depot is a bit of a drive for me as well being on the west side , I am in a way happy about that, I would probably spend a lot more money if they were closer.

I will send a PM with some info.

Hobbylinc is great! Good prices, shipping is reasonable. They do take a few days longer than some others but shipment always arrives when they say it will and have always been correct.

Megahobby has very fast shipping times, usually same or next day and good selection. Have used both with great success