Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Scratch build building & Diorama base

tiking

58 minutes ago, David G. said:

In this case David, I think it may be the balsa wood causing the warpage. I've done a bit of model railroading and balsa is generally not recommended for building model structures because in that hobby it has an affinity for moisture and is rather unstable as a result. For something like your diorama bass wood would be more typically used as it is much more stable than balsa very to work with.

Hope that's helpful.

It looks like you have some good work going there too.

David G.

Thank you, David and your suggestion is most helpful. Looking at the direction of the warping, then what you say makes perfect sense, because the grain of the balsa does run lengthways, so the two warped corners of the baseboard are at right angles to the grained balsa.

David W.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 6:36 PM, Anglia105E said:

As other members on here are saying, the level of realism that you have achieved with this particular diorama is exceptional, and I am even more impressed than usual, having viewed all of your previous diorama work.

I do have one question, Charles...... Do you have any issues with foamboard warping badly ?  Previously I have had display boards made from foamboard warping terribly, inside a humid marquee during a June exhibition of scale model dioramas, and just this past week, I have a 1:32 scale baseboard that is now warping excessively. The layer of foamboard is attached to a Foamex board underneath with strong, wide double-sided tape, like a laminate, but now that emulsion paint has been applied the baseboard is curling upwards. What are your thoughts on this issue, please?  (the paving is balsa wood).

Thanks,

David

102_2021.JPG

102_2036.JPG

I have had that same problem in some of my earlier diorama projects. The warpage is most likely caused by having paint on only one side of the f!exible material you are using as a base. I recommend switching to either a plywood base layer or a much thicker foam. I have a large piece of what I call "blue house builder's foam" that I have successfully used in the past with zero problems. I would give you the exact name printed on it if we were home but we're on vacation. The stuff is available In the big box home supply stores like Lowe's or Menards but is sold in 4'x 8' sheets. I recommend looking around any area where new homes are being built to find left over pieces or doing some dumpster diving. spread the word around your building friends and somebody will probably know a contractor that can hook you up with what you need. Either way good luck.

Just now, misterNNL said:

I have had that same problem in some of my earlier diorama projects. The warpage is most likely caused by having paint on only one side of the f!exible material you are using as a base. I recommend switching to either a plywood base layer or a much thicker foam. I have a large piece of what I call "blue house builder's foam" that I have successfully used in the past with zero problems. I would give you the exact name printed on it if we were home but we're on vacation. The stuff is available In the big box home supply stores like Lowe's or Menards but is sold in 4'x 8' sheets. I recommend looking around any area where new homes are being built to find left over pieces or doing some dumpster diving. spread the word around your building friends and somebody will probably know a contractor that can hook you up with what you need. Either way good luck.

I forgot to mention that this foam is about 2" thick.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:51 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Charles!

Your building skills are top notch, and your photo session makes great use of the natural light and real life background. The decrepit asphalt reminds me all too well of some streets here in the Great White North. 

World class work, bravo!

CT 

Thank you so much for your comment. Much appreciated. :)

Outstanding job, really - the reason why I couldn't resist but signing to comment here:

the inner disk of the (not sure about the english for "bouche d'égout") manhole cover(?) on the street shouldn't be recessed that much. This and the supporting/outer part are cast iron ones and there's no way one can move vs. the other - but by breaking. Either both are recessed, either you can just add some thickness to the inner part so it stays flush with the outer part.

So, sorry for pinpointing but - again - the quality of your work seemed well worth that (poor) comment...

On 9/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, ChopSauce said:

Outstanding job, really - the reason why I couldn't resist but signing to comment here:

the inner disk of the (not sure about the english for "bouche d'égout") manhole cover(?) on the street shouldn't be recessed that much. This and the supporting/outer part are cast iron ones and there's no way one can move vs. the other - but by breaking. Either both are recessed, either you can just add some thickness to the inner part so it stays flush with the outer part.

So, sorry for pinpointing but - again - the quality of your work seemed well worth that (poor) comment...

Thank you for your positive criticism. I will remember that the next time I include a manhole in my next diorama. Glad you like the diorama regardless of the manhole. 

On 9/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, DrKerry said:

WOW, very kool!!!!!!

Glad you liked the results. Thanks. 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, christian-w said:

I couldn't tell on the first picture, whether it is real or a diorama. Awesome work!

Thank you for your response. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...