Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nice job! Speaking of the T-34, you might want to give the films "Cross of Iron" (a Peckinpah film) and "White Tiger" (Russian film) a try sometime, if you haven't already. Here's a link to the "White Tiger" version with English subtitles, which I recommend over dubbed versions. This is a beautifully photographed film - 

On 6/15/2021 at 6:54 PM, bisc63 said:

Nice! Almost too clean for a T-34! Production was so rushed on these during the war, many were rolled right out of the factory without an ounce of paint on them; desperate times, desperate measures!

At Stalingrad, T-34/76 tanks were still rolling out of the plants while the German army attacked the city. Not only unpainted, but sometimes missing unessential parts like headlights and fenders.  In some cases, plant workers drove tanks from the factories straight onto the battlefield. Which was probably right across the street.  Incredible. 

Youpey did a nice clean build of a later T-34/85.  For anyone else who gets the urge and wants to build a different T-34, check out Dragon Kit #3318 from 1997.  It's a late model export version of the T-34/85M. 

The kit is in the "Nam" series and the box calls it "NVA."  But there's more stuff in that kit not mentioned on the box.  For one thing, a U.S. M2 .50 caliber machine gun and mount. Besides the Vietnam version, it has FOUR more options for T-34's used up thru the 1990's:  Croatian National Guard, Dubrovnik, 1991; Yugoslav People's Army, Karlovac, 1991; Angolan Army, Namibia; and Somali Army, Somali-Ethiopian Conflict. 

dml_3318.jpg

9 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Youpey did a nice clean build of a later T-34/85.

Thanks! Good information; I didn't realize just how long-lived that design was. Those Dragon armor kits are impressive, aren't they?!

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Thanks! Good information; I didn't realize just how long-lived that design was. Those Dragon armor kits are impressive, aren't they?!

Dragon kits can be impressive.  But like other companies, Dragon keeps jacking up prices while de-contenting the kits.  Their "Black Label" kits have become known to some modelers as "Black Plague,"  for their errors, omissions and general goofiness.  

But here, let me help you spend some money!  Rye Field Models has done 2 impressive kits of T-34's modified into self-propelled guns with the Russian D-30 122mm howitzer.  The Egyptian T-34/122 with the huge turret, and the turretless Syrian modification, the T-34/D30 122.  The only drawback: neither kit has an interior, but you can't see much in there anyway. If I get crazy enough, I might try to open up that big turret and drop the side panels.

Now I'll stop hijacking your thread...

t34-122-1.jpg

t34-122-2.jpg