Model Cars Magazine Forum

Guys, what is the best type of glue to use on a mid 1960s promo. I guess these are ABS? I have one that may be saveable, but the body is broken. I am thinking that 5-minute epoxy and reinforcing the back side? Car was destined to be stripped and repainted anyway.

TIA

Hi Steve!

I worked on a Johan 68 Javelin promo a couple of years ago. While opening the hood, a small crack happened at the base of the cowl/windshield. Believe it or not, NOTHING would glue it back! Superglue, styrene, epoxy, even pure acetone... I had to live with the tiny crack, and hide it with a scratchbuilt shift light. 

A friend told me it was because some promos back then were molded in acetate. Just a guess. 

Good luck with your project!

CT 

It all depends on the promo manufacturer. JoHan wasn't picky about where they sourced plastics, so your promo could be a mix of related plastic materials. AMT and MPC promos from the early '60s onward tended to be molded in a type of ABS known as Cycolac, so you may want to try an ABS cement like Plastruct Bondene or similar. 

It's a 66 Johan and it seems kind of like the mid 60s AMT promos that I have. I think it will require reinforcement behind it, but I was wondering how to take care of the cracked area on the surface. I was thinking of Plastruct cement or even the commercial stuff for schedule 40 sprinkler pipe. We will see what happens after the seller submits a damage claim. Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm about to try to fix a couple of JoHan Maverick promos. Gonna try a methylene chloride cement first, if that doesn't work, I'll move on to superglue or epoxy. We'll see what happens. :unsure:

I just glued a broken JoHan Maverick promo chassis (molded in blue, if that matters) back together with Flex-I-File Plast-i-Weld (methylene chloride-based), which I bought at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago. Seems to have worked--I got a good weld/melt joint almost instantly. 

The stuff's a little tricky to use because it evaporates so quickly. I applied it with an eyedropper, which is the best way I've found to use it. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!