Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Discontinuing NASCAR Model Kits

I read every message posted in this thread and no one seemed to mentioned what I believe is the main reason that Revell is getting out of the NASCAR kit business ...

It's because NASCAR kits aren't selling. Period.

Other than Khart’s posting in which he presents a most interesting, and perhaps a correct opinion, on this as well as other modeler/hobbyist forums, most comments about Revell-Monogram discontinuing its NASCAR model production reflect most writers’ disdain for NASCAR- an interesting subject but really not too relevant to the status of the auto modeling hobby

Of greater relevance is what are really the reasons that Revell-Monogram has discontinued manufacturing NASCAR model kits. Notwithstanding some writers opinions about the present state of NASCAR , NASCAR racing remains, and will so, the most prevalent form of American motor-sports, and the cessation of Revell NASCSAR kit manufacturing leaves a big hole in the panoply of available motor-sports kits. Would be like Athearn, model railroad’s largest manufacturer of model railroad equipment ceasing production of models of EMD locomotives, though EMD diesel-electric locomotives are the most numerous locomotives used by 1:1 American Railroads.

Would be more informative for a more in-depth discussion of why Revell Monogram quit, and how or what might fill in the modeling hole. Has NASCAR licensed another model manufacturer, say Tamiya, now that Toyota’s a big player? Would other Japanese model manufactures step up? If licensing fees are such a huge deterrent to manufacturing models, then why are there so many varied 1/32 COT-NASCAR slot cars?

What’s really transpiring within the model kit manufacturing industry? U.S. economy? The world-wide economy? Is modeling and other forms of similar three dimensional recreation/leisure activities declining? Would seem there are a number of hidden factors involved with R-M’s decision to cease manufacturing of what has been a sizeable segment of its overall production.

If NASCAR kits were selling in numbers large enough for Revell to cover licensing costs and still make a profit. they'd still be making them!

Obviously the combination of licensing fees and slow sales convinced Revell to stop NASCAR kit production. It's Business 101: if the product can't be sold at a profit, you don't sell the product.

Guest 66dragfreak

Alot of people claimed that WalMart carrying models was hurting the hobby and the LHS. BUT, WalMart ALWAYS had Nascar kits in stock. The one thing I did notice though was that for a few months leading up to WalMart's decision to drop models from their sales line, the Nascar kits weren't selling at all. There were Kenseth kits, Newman Dodges and the rest of the most recent Nascar line of kits sitting on my local Wal Mart shelves for months collecting dust before WalMart dropped models altogether. Revell's new Mercury sold like hot cakes as did Lindberg's new line of Monster Truck kits. Shoot, even the Donk kits and Lowrider kits were plastering the Nascar kits in terms of sales. The AMT Checkerboard kits also outsold the Nascar kits soundly. What does this tell you? I was at my LHS a couple days ago and asked the owner how his ales of Nascar kits was going and he told me he hadn't sold a Nascar kit in months. When I went back to look, sure enough, the same kits that were there back in the summer were still sitting there in the same spot. He is to the point where he will most likely get out of the model selling entirely after the new year. He is very discouraged about the downturn of kit sales and he obviously isn't making much, if any money with kits collecting dust on the shelves.

This has got to tell you something people. I know one of the things I got tired of was building the same kit, regardless of make and just changing the paint scheme. It became more of an assembly line for me and it got boring. On top of that, I simply couldn't afford all the new and latest aftermarket parts to turn a Nascar kit into wonder kit.

Either way, it's a sad day for the modeling industry, but a decision I think that is a wise one and will pay off in the bigger picture of Revell's future releases. Time will tell. As for a company like Tamiya or Hasegawa getting involved in Nascar, I wouldn't look for that to happen anytime soon either. Both of these companies will concentrate their efforts on releasing new aircraft and armor kits before tying up a bunch of time, money and other resources trying to obtain licensing rights and permission to sell kits that are basically all the same now anyways. There simply is no money in that marketing strategy and it's all about "Survival of the Fittest" now, no matter what business you're in.

Well said Harry.And the same can be said about any other type of model that is built and shown here.And as far as Revell not doing NASCAR kits any more maybe you guy's that are NASCAR kit builders should vent your frustrations on NASCAR itself and not on us NASCAR haters.Just my two pennies.

You obviously didn't read the prior posts, George.

• 5 years later...

After reading every post on this thread I only saw one person that actually understands what is happening. Revell didn't say it was licensing issues with NASCAR that was the problem, just licensing issues, as most of us know we no longer have Goodyear lettering on the sidewalls of the tires in any of our kits, is this NASCAR's fault, no it's just another licensing problem, now look at a NASCAR kit did you notice all of those different contingency decals, almost everyone of those wants an agreement too & most want a fee along with it, not to mention that each driver has their own deal along with the manufacturer,the owner,& the sponsors of the car. Is it any wonder that there isn't anyone interested in producing a modern Sprint Cup, or any other NASCAR vehicle?

No,it isn't all NASCAR, just another licensing problem that has more to to due with our economy than anything.

After reading every post on this thread I only saw one person that actually understands what is happening. Revell didn't say it was licensing issues with NASCAR that was the problem, just licensing issues, as most of us know we no longer have Goodyear lettering on the sidewalls of the tires in any of our kits, is this NASCAR's fault, no it's just another licensing problem, now look at a NASCAR kit did you notice all of those different contingency decals almost everyone of those wants an agreement too & most want a fee along with it, not to mention that each driver has their own deal along with the manufacturer,the owner,& the sponsors of the car. Is it any wander that there isn't anyone interested in producing a modern Sprint Cup, or any other NASCAR vehicle?

No,it isn't all NASCAR, just another licensing problem that has more to to due with our economy than anything.

Edited by horsepower

I started reading the topic, not the post date, before the thread went to Hell. Then I realized it was a SIX YEAR OLD thread!?!?! Goes to show how topical the discontinuation of NASCAR kits is to me. Six years and it doesn't mean a thing to me. I haven't watched NASCAR since Richard Petty was behind the wheel, or more accurately, since they were STOCK CARS.

Doesn't matter if it's Football, Baseball, NASCAR,etc…. the corporate greed factor is disgusting in this country. Without this becoming a politics rant, let it go away. Quietly….

Since we're digging up an old thread.

Revell should dump models, and start selling photographs.

Fotki, Smugmug, Photobucket, and many others are filled with photographers selling pictures of every race car under the sun.. And nobody bothers them for royalties, contracts, or payments.

but sheesh.. make a replica of something and all hell breaks loose! Everybody wants a cut.

So to review - Push a button on a camera, unlimited copies for free, no problems with licensing.

A real object, hundreds or thousands of hours of work - big problems with licensing.

Which i kind of find ironic because photographers plaster their names all over their photos due to the fear their work stolen, or copied, or re-used.. but they get their subject matter for free.

no, i'm not sore on the subject at all! :)

Edited by DirtModeler