Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best donor kit to put a full roll cage in a 69 Camaro

I don't think there is one.  If you have one on the shelf, maybe take a look at the one in the AMT pro street '67 Malibu.  I fitted one of those into a Corvair a while back, I may have narrowed it a bit but that was about it as I recall.  

There was somebody selling the complete conversion kit for the 69 Camaro for Trans Am, but I haven't seen any lately. It had roll bar, dash, bucket seat, spoiler, & some other stuff. He also was selling a resin cast 69 Camaro body with fared wheel wells I bought both to build the Sunoco #9 Penske 69 Camaro & used the Revell 89 Z28 kit for a donor. I bought the 67 Chevelle roll cage on ebay, but have yet to use it.

100_1288.JPG

2 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Thank you both for replying.

I am wondering if the cage from the 66 ProStreet 66 Nova would work.

Or maybe the one from the Revelle 68 Firebird.

The Nova doesn't have one. I can check the Firebird. 

Not sure the Firebird has one.  If it has a roll bar, it would likely be a good fit inside the Camaro body (a good roll bar is usually closely fitted to the available space) and built upon with styrene rod to get a full cage.

10 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

This is what the Revell instructions show

I can check the kit to verify, if needed

It’s only a roll bar, no cage…but here are the dimensions. Diameter is .017”.

7D278BE0-631F-49FE-B718-1D937FA31D5B.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

That one would be a good starting point.  It should at least have the two bars added that extend to the back, making it a four-point.  It wouldn't be tough to add those, and side braces extending forward.  Adding pieces to make it a full cage would be more work, still do-able though.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, Bills72sj said:

Which (if any) 1st Gen F body kits have a decent 4-6 point roll cage that will fit in a 1/25th 69 Camaro?

Maybe you need to add a welder and a tube bender to this very impressive shop of yours Bill?

E9B25D9D-765E-4AFA-9F90-663EBC0A49BD.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG