Model Cars Magazine Forum

State of the Forum, 2021

6 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Dave, thanks for all of your hard work. I have a question/suggestion. Would it be possible to extend the window of editing posts indefinitely? I have some older posts from a few years ago that have broken image links, and I would like to fix them. I also have a thread I started a couple of weeks ago, which I added an update date to, but now I cannot go in and edit to reflect my latest update (ie; "Updated June 10" to "Updated June 21").

The idea that unlike a certain other forum, the threads are long term and don't roll off the map is great, but there are posters out there (particularly those who use/used Photobucket) who lost their photos, leaving a trail of broken image icons. Hence the need for the long term ability to edit posts. Any chance of this happening?

I would love to just leave that enabled. Unfortunately, some individual(s) tried to carry out an attack using the edit feature as the vulnerability. That's why it's set the way it is. We are enabling long term editing on a selective basis. If you want to go back and edit your old posts, PM me and I can set it up. 

If I can find a way to readily recover from that kind of attack, then I'll open it back up. I'll also be popular on the CMS conference circuit since this is a big problem. 

On 6/18/2021 at 8:31 PM, CabDriver said:

What they said…thanks to everyone who keeps this place running!  I hope it’s around for a long long time!

I support that too. This one forum which feels like home, and that IS GOOD.

25 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I would love to just leave that enabled. Unfortunately, some individual(s) tried to carry out an attack using the edit feature as the vulnerability. That's why it's set the way it is. We are enabling long term editing on a selective basis. If you want to go back and edit your old posts, PM me and I can set it up. 

If I can find a way to readily recover from that kind of attack, then I'll open it back up. I'll also be popular on the CMS conference circuit since this is a big problem. 

Thanks Dave. I have two old threads and one current one at the moment. I'll PM you the urls.

I'd like to thank you guys as well. This is a great forum and is my "go-to" place for tips, techniques and to learn from some of the greatest builders not to mention the all around good folks that are on this forum. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do to make this forum such a great place to visit. 

A big job well done. Besides the updating of the website and system a lot has been happening since Covid struck. Many have been stuck at home and decided to ether return or take up the hobby. That can only be good for the hobby that was in decline before covid.

This forum will be seeing much more traffic as a result. Besides the newbies and returners we have migrants from the now defunct Scale Auto site.

Yes we will see many questions come up from newcomers and returners getting up to date with all the new stuff available since they dropped away from the hobby. Some 'Old Timers' may see this as a bit of a nuisance, but must remember that they were beginners once asking the self same questions! Instead look at this as a golden opportunity for us more experienced modellers to share our experiences and further enhance the hobby, rather than 'been there, done that and got the tee shirt' so to speak.

Kurt, I feel was a bit unkind about IPMS not doing anything for him apart from some awards. One has to remember that IPMS is a general modelling society, so automotive is just a part of it. So Kurt is not really comparing like for like unfortunately. My prime interest is making automotive models, but as a member of IPMS UK I have learnt many modelling techniques from other genres that have been transferable to use on my side of the hobby. It is a bit like comparing Model Cars Magazine to Fine Scale Modeler Magazine.

You guys in the States are so lucky to have MCM and Model Car Builder magazines as automotive modelling is so strong on your side of the pond. Not to mention the number of regional dedicated automotive model clubs and shows that you have access to.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Thank you all for your kind comments. We very much appreciate them. 

You don't see the term interdependence mentioned much outside of science and Buddhist philosophy, but that's exactly what we have here. Without your participation, nothing I do matters, and without this forum, there's no good communication platform. We're working well together and that makes it all worthwhile. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Big thanks to Dave and all of his team....... I really like this website and the forums, and in fact I liked it all the very first time that I discovered MCM.

Thank you for providing us with such a friendly and helpful environment in which to interact, regarding our wonderful hobby that covers the building of scale model cars and dioramas, and everything else model cars related.

Your efforts to maintain an extremely well run venture of this size and longevity are much appreciated by all members, including myself.

David Watson ( England )