Model Cars Magazine Forum

Massy Fergusson 20 Farm Tractor - 'Renovation time'

tiking

I had bought this 1/24 scale MF20 a long time ago. It's been stashed away waiting for the right moment to decide on what I was going to do with it. Now I have. Will be adding a few more details here and there, which will not distract from the overall look.

mf_35_dio.jpg

mf_35_dio2.jpg

mf_35_dio3.jpg

mf_35_dio4.jpg

mf_35_dio4a.jpg

mf_35_dio5.jpg

mf_35_dio6.jpg

mf_35_dio7.jpg

mf_35_dio8.jpg

mf_35_dio9.jpg

mf_35_dio10.jpg

mf_35_dio11.jpg

mf_35_dio12.jpg

mf_35_dio13.jpg

mf_35_dio14.jpg

Edited by tiking

Your weathering and detail work are excellent.

Very convincing diorama!

It looks like Pops ordered the repair part from Hawley's Farm Supply in Wichita in June of '72 and it still hadn't come in by August... of '74 so he just up and bough a new tractor. 

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Your weathering and detail work are excellent.

Very convincing diorama!

It looks like Pops ordered the repair part from Hawley's Farm Supply in Wichita in June of '72 and it still hadn't come in by August... of '74 so he just up and bough a new tractor. 

David G.

HAHA!!!! 

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Excellent work, really like the weathering you have done. I learned to drive a tractor on one of these many, many years ago.

Was it fun?

1 hour ago, ksnow said:

Very cool diorama. Excellent detail and weathering.

Mowed a lot of grass sitting on one of those tractors.

Thank you. Was the tractor modified?

41 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thanks Chris.

31 minutes ago, tiking said:

Thank you. Was the tractor modified?

Thanks Chris.

Not much. We had added an electric fan to the radiator to try to help with a recurring overheating issue, until we replaced the head gasket. We ran a 72 inch mower deck off the back. The tractor was well used before I ever got on it. Missing the fender lights, brakes never worked, etc.

Oh, we did have a vertical exhaust pipe with a flapper on it.

2 hours ago, ksnow said:

Not much. We had added an electric fan to the radiator to try to help with a recurring overheating issue, until we replaced the head gasket. We ran a 72 inch mower deck off the back. The tractor was well used before I ever got on it. Missing the fender lights, brakes never worked, etc.

Appreciate the info.

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Well Charles..... Yet again you have managed to make plastic look like rusted metal, which is pure genius. The two large wheels and tyres, the Valvoline oil drum...... and more !

Tiking the Rust Master........

David

Hehe!!! Thank you David.

6 hours ago, tiking said:
7 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Excellent work, really like the weathering you have done. I learned to drive a tractor on one of these many, many years ago.

Was it fun?

For a 14 year-old wanting to drive anything it was a blast.  However, that training session quickly turned into "letting" me plow fields and do other mundane jobs on the tractor.  Looking back those many years ago, yes it was fun.

• tiking changed the title to Massy Fergusson 20 Farm Tractor - 'Renovation time'
4 hours ago, landman said:

I agree it is time to renovate the tractor. theyears have taken their toll. Hopefully it is not to far gone to restore. Excellent work!

So true. Seen worst come to life after some tender love. 

17 hours ago, ksnow said:

Thanks for the update. :)

15 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Well Charles..... Yet again you have managed to make plastic look like rusted metal, which is pure genius. The two large wheels and tyres, the Valvoline oil drum...... and more !

Tiking the Rust Master........

David

HeHe!!!! Appreciate your uplifting words.

2 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Fantastic, Charles - why don't you run a course in "Letting plastic look like rusty metal" ?

Thanks. I've been asked many times over but one of the reasons is there are many tutorials out on YouTube. I feel another one would not make a big difference. But I will try and see if I can work something out. I've never done a YouTube video. As long as I do not have to buy a whole video equipment, then I'll see if I can figure something out. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 2:26 PM, Paul Payne said:

That is some of the most convincing weathering I have ever seen! Great visual story in a small space.

Much appreciated. 

On 7/22/2021 at 7:47 AM, slusher said:

Outstanding!

Thank you. :)