Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which VW Bug kit to build this?

Hey folks,

Need to know what the best starting kit would be for my next possible DOH project, Hughie Hogg's VW beetle, styled after Boss Hogg's Cadillac complete with steer horns.

Apparently it wasn't a stock Bug convertible, but a chop-job on a hard-top (see first pic).  Also, it appears to have the later squared-type bumpers rather than the vintage totally-curvy style.

Would the best starting kit be the Revell/Monogram "VW 60's Beetle" (see 2nd pic)?  Seems to have the correct bumpers etc, and more interior than any Snap-kit.  

Thanks!

JLr3MKo.jpg

aIHoV1R.jpg

OqlAZ5I.jpg

bU3Nher.jpg

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger

1 hour ago, Don Sikora II said:

The Revell Beetle sedan you posted doesn't include interior door panels. The convertible versions from that same tooling include them, but none of the sedans do.

Glad to know, thank you!  So, would a kitbash of that kit and a convertible interior be the only good approach?  Or, is there another kit I should consider? 24th/25th only, I should add.

The one pictured is a sedan modified into a convertible and is a Super Beetle. They first appeared in 1970-71 and still used the flat windshield.

In 73 the super beetle went to the curved windshield to meet safety standards dealing with the distance between the driver and the windshield.

Edited by OldTrucker

3 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

The one pictured is a sedan modified into a convertible and is a Super Beetle. They first appeared in 1970-71 and still used the flat windshield.

In 73 the super beetle went to the curved windshield to meet safety standards dealing with the distance between the driver and the windshield.

Never knew that, that helps, thank you!  So then which kit would best represent a 70-71?

I have owned several Bugs in my life and I can tell you the one in the show is definitely a 71 or 72 Super Beetle with the roof chopped off. It is the only years that would accurately replicate it. 71 and 72 super beetles (the first ones) have the flat windshield and strut front suspension.  73 has the big tail lights and more vents in the engine cover as well as curved windshield.

1 hour ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I have owned several Bugs in my life and I can tell you the one in the show is definitely a 71 or 72 Super Beetle with the roof chopped off. It is the only years that would accurately replicate it. 71 and 72 super beetles (the first ones) have the flat windshield and strut front suspension.  73 has the big tail lights and more vents in the engine cover as well as curved windshield.

Over a 20 year period I worked on them on an off for a foreign car repair shop that specialized in VW's.

We restored a bunch. When production stopped in Germany they kept building them for a while in Mexico. What a strange bunch of cars those were as they used parts from the late 60's through the end of the run! Like they were using up all the leftover parts from years past!LOL

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The Revell 68 Beetle is a far better kit but it has the earlier rounded bumpers and 1/24 so the flat ones might not fit it well.

Much needed info, thank you!  Is the Revell 68 better than trying to kitbash the Revell 60's Bug (pic in original post) with interior parts from the convertible model?

9 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Much needed info, thank you!  Is the Revell 68 better than trying to kitbash the Revell 60's Bug (pic in original post) with interior parts from the convertible model?

Yes, the Revell 68 is very nice and has a full interior. 

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Yes, the Revell 68 is very nice and has a full interior. 

Does it have everything I need (correct features) to build the subject above if I did a chop-job on it other than bumpers? Where could I source bumpers?

2 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Does it have everything I need (correct features) to build the subject above if I did a chop-job on it other than bumpers? Where could I source bumpers?

You would need to make the rear cover behind the rear seat but otherwise it should have everything. I think the hub caps are molded onto the wheels so you'd need to find bare ones. I don't know about the bumpers unless a Gunze kit has them, I agree they don't look too hard to make.

I appreciate all this, I was about to invest in the wrong kit!

Wondering if bare wheels (sans caps) are available in aftermarket....

I can help you with the wheels without caps. I've got a heap of the tamiya bug wheels left over.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Hey folks,

Need to know what the best starting kit would be for my next possible DOH project, Hughie Hogg's VW beetle, styled after Boss Hogg's Cadillac complete with steer horns.

Apparently it wasn't a stock Bug convertible, but a chop-job on a hard-top (see first pic).  Also, it appears to have the later squared-type bumpers rather than the vintage totally-curvy style.

Would the best starting kit be the Revell/Monogram "VW 60's Beetle" (see 2nd pic)?  Seems to have the correct bumpers etc, and more interior than any Snap-kit.  

Thanks!

JLr3MKo.jpg

bU3Nher.jpg

On 6/22/2021 at 3:30 AM, SCRWDRVR said:

Brian is definitely right

All Beetle Kits, wich are available are NOT matching the "1302"-Beetle (71-72 Super Beetle) they used in the Film! If you want to make it correct, choose the New Revell Beetle for the Rear, interior, sidewalls, windshield. Use the Italeri / Aoshima Superbeetle 1303 for the front (Suspension) trunk area - BUT the flat windschield needed from the Beetle Limousine. The Italeri / Aoshima Kit has the fat bumpers to attach.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 4:18 AM, Dominik said:

Brian is definitely right

All Beetle Kits, wich are available are NOT matching the "1302"-Beetle (71-72 Super Beetle) they used in the Film! If you want to make it correct, choose the New Revell Beetle for the Rear, interior, sidewalls, windshield. Use the Italeri / Aoshima Superbeetle 1303 for the front (Suspension) trunk area - BUT the flat windschield needed from the Beetle Limousine. The Italeri / Aoshima Kit has the fat bumpers to attach.

Resurrecting this thread; what exactly is the difference in the front/suspension/front area between the "Revell '68 Beetle" and the Super Beetle? Is it a shape difference that I'm missing?  Would the Revell Cabriolet have the appropriate differences since I've got that in addition to the Revell "New" for the purposes of some kitbashing?

Resurrecting this thread; what exactly is the difference in the front/suspension/front area between the "New Revell Beetle" and the Super Beetle? Is it a shape difference that I'm missing?  Would the Revell Cabriolet have the appropriate differences since I've got that in addition to the Revell "New" for the purposes of some kitbashing?

The Revell kit has the old axle beam front suspension. The Aoshima kit would have the strut style suspension. But the Aoshima kit is, I believe, a '73( kit's at home, I'm at work) with the curved windshield. So kit bashing is in order.

2 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

The Revell kit has the old axle beam front suspension. The Aoshima kit would have the strut style suspension. But the Aoshima kit is, I believe, a '73( kit's at home, I'm at work) with the curved windshield. So kit bashing is in order.

Okay, so it's a suspension issue and not a body issue?  Would the Revel Cabriolet have the correct front suspension, since I think an Aoshima is beyond me?  If I used the Cabr suspension on the regular Revell '68? Am already using the Cabr's seats and bumpers.

I believe the Cabriolet and the 68 have the same front suspension in the kits. The Strut suspension was only available in a Super Beetle. With that change also came a different trunk lid that was bulged a little to accommodate the strut front end and the non Super doesn't have the venting under the front bumper....

72 non Super

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O6MZQLp-qt0/maxresdefault.jpg

72 Super

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/ab/1/457/12769/790x1024/1972-volkswagen-super-beetle