Model Cars Magazine Forum

What’s your favorite television show

slusher

On 6/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've never been a fan of TV dramas at all, and there are very few sitcoms that I'll watch, especially in the past 20 years.

If I had to pick one "favorite" television show, it would have been "All in the Family".

Other than that, I enjoy some of the "reality" police shows like "Cops", and I enjoyed "Live PD" until A&E caved in to the woke crowd and cancelled it.

I guess it's no longer acceptable to see what law enforcement does on a day to day basis.

Lord knows we wouldn't want to "trigger" anybody.

Other than that, I enjoy a good documentary when you can actually find a good one, and the remainder of my TV time is spent watching the occasional "crime documentary" on ID or HLN.

Steve

Oxygen has some good ones also ..

On 6/27/2021 at 11:22 PM, John1955 said:

Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I'll watch anything that's Star Trek. All In The Family is timeless and will never go out of style, the same for Maude, the Jeffersons and Good Times. Golden Girls as well and I love a lot of the 1950's and 1960's shows, especially Perry Mason. I'm sorry that I haven't mentioned any more recent or current TV shows, I know of none that has the quality of the older ones. Plus, most of the time I watch my DVD's and VHS tapes anyway. 

I watched The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son and All in the Family with the family.  I watched The Rockford Files, Hawaii Five o, Barnoby Jones, Canon, Police Story, The A Team, and Perry Mason reruns with my dad.  My wife bought  Good Times all the seasons for 15 bucks at Walmart…

I always wait until Chicago PD's season is over and then watch them all over the summer.  At the moment I'm up to episode 10 or 11 of this year. 

It's a little bit predictable. If you end up on the ground with holes in you and some member of the unit beating on your chest and yelling, "STAY WITH ME!" yeah, that's not gonna work. You're gonna die. New faces are the Red Shirts of Chicago PD

Its nominally a "police procedural," but it seems like most of their cases these days get solved by cell phone traces and traffic cameras. Pretty convenient to keep the story moving, I guess. I don't remember if this was the case in previous years. :unsure:

On 6/27/2021 at 11:22 PM, John1955 said:

Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I'll watch anything that's Star Trek. All In The Family is timeless and will never go out of style, the same for Maude, the Jeffersons and Good Times. Golden Girls as well and I love a lot of the 1950's and 1960's shows, especially Perry Mason. I'm sorry that I haven't mentioned any more recent or current TV shows, I know of none that has the quality of the older ones. Plus, most of the time I watch my DVD's and VHS tapes anyway. 

Ugh, The Golden Girls!!?

Every time that show comes on I want to throw something at the television!!

I think a large part of that hatred might be due to Maude!

I never could take that woman!

But even without her I couldn't watch it.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Benny Hill I can live without, but I did enjoy Mr. Bean! ^_^

Steve

Benny Hill hasn't aged well. Same could be said for Carol Burnett Show. I've watched a few episodes on TV and I just don't find it funny. At all. Maybe it was funnier back when it was a new program, I don't know.

20 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Benny Hill hasn't aged well. Same could be said for Carol Burnett Show. I've watched a few episodes on TV and I just don't find it funny. At all. Maybe it was funnier back when it was a new program, I don't know.

Benny Hill died in 92..

14 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I know what you mean.

I liked the Carol Burnett show many years ago, but something makes me think that it wouldn’t hold the same charm today.

I remember thinking that the movie “The Valley of Gwangi” was a technological marvel when I was a kid, but after getting a chance to see it again more recently, I realized that it really wasn’t all that great.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I liked the Carol Burnett many years ago, but something makes me think that it wouldn’t hold the same charm today.

Watching the characters in the skits go off in the weeds just to make the other players crack up was the best part of the show. Harvey Korman frequently was laughing so hard he couldn't say his lines.

Tim Conway and the Siamese elephants skit is classic Carol Burnett.

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Ugh, The Golden Girls!!?

Every time that show comes on I want to throw something at the television!!

I think a large part of that hatred might be due to Maude!

I never could take that woman!

But even without her I couldn't watch it.

Steve

Normally, The Golden Girls is the kind of show that I wouldn't like. But my wife watched it and so I began to watch as well, I saw the comic genius of Betty White so I became a fan of the show. The character of Dorothy that Bea Arthur played had nothing in common with the character of Maude that she played on that earlier series. 

One old TV series that didn't age well is The Brady Bunch. That is probably because it was never really a great show to begin with, but for some reason, I liked it when it was on originally. Maybe I envied them with their happy and functional family life, the opposite of mine. But now when it come son, I don't know whether to laugh or to vomit. It aired 1969-1974 but except for being in color and the weird clothes, it belonged in the 1950's. The Brady kids were definitely not 'cool' at all even though they apparently thought they were. 

That show had a chance to explore the life of blended families, it could have been fantastic, drama and comedy all in one show. Too bad Norman Lear wasn't involved. Instead, it completely missed the mark and by the second episode, they were all suddenly bonded and calling the parents "mom" and "dad". Please. 

3 hours ago, John1955 said:

Normally, The Golden Girls is the kind of show that I wouldn't like. But my wife watched it and so I began to watch as well, I saw the comic genius of Betty White so I became a fan of the show. The character of Dorothy that Bea Arthur played had nothing in common with the character of Maude that she played on that earlier series. 

I only watched Golden Girls a few times when it first came out. My mother was big fan of the show so it was on often growing up. What about the spin off Empty Nest? Seems like that show is always overshadowed by the Golden Girls.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:34 AM, RSchnell said:

I only watched Golden Girls a few times when it first came out. My mother was big fan of the show so it was on often growing up. What about the spin off Empty Nest? Seems like that show is always overshadowed by the Golden Girls.

I found Empty Nest just that - empty. 

Wow! This thread really took off. Looks like I'm the only one on the board that likes Hogans Heroes. The show can seem rather assinine but if you know the back story it becomes more interesting. Most of the actors who played the Nazis were actually persecuted by the real Nazis during the war and some of them were Jewish. They agreed to play the parts if they could make the Nazis look as silly as possible. Even Robert Clary ( LeBou) was imprisoned for a period of time during the war. It was also one of the first sitcoms to feature an African American as part of the regular cast. This info courtesy of the IMDB website, so if it is incorrect don't blame me.😋

On 6/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, RSchnell said:

3 shows that haven't aged well and that I find very dated are Three's Company, Love Boat and Fantasy Island. The stories and actors are lame today. Might have been acceptable for the 70s sexual revolution, but today seem very ripe for "harassment" charges.

Although, I do miss John Ritter, he was a likeable guy. Died way too young. 

an old show my dad liked when I was young  May have been mentioned and I forgot was Dragnet.  I haven’t seen The Love Boat 🛥 in years but wat kept it a good show was all the different guest stars every week..