Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic paint question

I’ve been looking at acrylic paint to use with a brush. My question is there seems to be more of a selection when I go beyond Testors and less expensive.  Is all acrylic paint equal? Can most of it be used for plastic model cars.

The quick answer is No, not all paints are equal. There are a lot of things that make them different including type of acrylic. Calling paint acrylic is very generic and there are many different kinds as well as you will find many people have different preferences. Anything you try for the first time you are better off testing on some spare parts or plastic spoons.

Ya know, it's not that you shouldn't prime a model anyway but one thing in common between acrylic paints is you really need to prime. They stick to primer very well but not so hot to plastic. And that's fairly generic between acrylic brands with few exceptions. Stynylrez primer is an awesome primer to use under acrylic paints. It gives an exceptional bond and is also a primer/sealer.