Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 AMX

I picked up this built gluebomb for a couple bucks a few weeks back.

Complete except for manifolds/headers and exhaust.

I'm not sure what I have. Is it a Jo-Han kit? AMT?

I haven't measured it, but it looks to be 1/24 scale. ?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

amx 1.jpg

amx 2.jpg

amx 3.jpg

amx 4.jpg

amx 5.jpg

amx 6.jpg

Not a '74, it's a '72.  Jo-Han kit, looks like an early production George Follmer/Roy Woods Racing Trans-Am racer, with wheels from a stock kit.

AMT sold the Jo-Han kit in its packaging twice.  The first was the '71 Mark Donohue/Roger Penske Trans-Am racer, the other was a stock '74.  Both were made by Jo-Han, and packed in AMT boxes with AMT instruction sheets and decal sheets.  

Edited by Mark
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Not a '74, it's a '72.  Jo-Han kit, looks like an early production George Follmer/Roy Woods Racing Trans-Am racer, with wheels from a stock kit.

AMT sold the Jo-Han kit in its packaging twice.  The first was the '71 Mark Donohue/Roger Penske Trans-Am racer, the other was a stock '74.  Both were made by Jo-Han, and packed in AMT boxes with AMT instruction sheets and decal sheets.  

Good info. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Bainford said:

The two circular pieces glued to the grill are actually the velocity stacks for the carburetors of the race version engine. 

That figures... this one was with a bunch of other GBs, and the builder was... uhh... creative, to say the least. He also really, really liked lots of cement. :)

Notice he glued those stacks right where the road lights/turn signals are. I guess that makes them easier to see! Almost makes it look "Super Fly", if you ask me.

You lucky dog! I've got just a body to one of those and I'm hoping to come across more of it someday.

For a couple bucks, you can't go wrong! Keep us updated on the progress. 

That's a pretty early one, it looks as though it has one-piece hollow tires (Jo-Han switched to two-piece tires later on).  It probably has wire axles too (switched to thick plastic rods, probably at the same time the tires were changed).  The '72 body details also point to an early kit (once changed to '73-'74 trim, the body was neved changed back).

The wheels, and those unfortunate velocity stacks, weren't in the Trans-Am versions and so were taken from a stock kit.

It has the early front bumper without the engraved bumper guards too. I'd guess it was built from a rare early-production Jo-Han George Follmer Trans Am racer because of the '72 rear bumper/taillight piece. The Follmer kit was available into the 1980s, but almost all I've seen have the '73/'74 body and bumpers.

I haven't seen a Follmer kit with a '72 body myself, built or unbuilt.  The one I have has the later body.  The RWR (Roy Woods Racing) Javelin AMXs were in fact the ex-Penske cars (AMC wanted Penske to concentrate on NASCAR in '72).  Those cars later went to privateer racers but most have since been restored as either Penske or RWR cars.  To my knowledge none of the 1:1 cars were ever retrimmed as '73-'74s.

Digging through the multiple boxes of parts that came with the AMX, I found the headers and 1 exhaust pipe. 

The original Mini-lites are not to be found, but I did come across some Fireball Mini-lites that I forgot having... and those velocity stacks came off the grill without leaving a mark. :)

The original Minilite wheels in that kit weren't anything to write home about; they had no lug detail at all.  With many of the parts from that kit, and with a piece here and there from other sources, you can get a really decent Trans-Am version out of it.