Model Cars Magazine Forum

8 second electric Ford Mustang

15 minutes ago, Force said:

Something important is missing...no engine sound no fun.

Something which only true gear-heads understand . Nothing beats the sound and feel of carbureted engine ( more wild when an oxidiser is added to the mix ) --- that's something that an electric --truly , motorised-- engine cannot provide , 8 second 1/4 mile not-withstanding .

18 hours ago, Roncla said:

Impressive but it sounds just like my Traxxas R/C car.

Most of my youth was spent at the commercial slot car tracks, so I'm quite familiar with that sound. I might enjoy these electric race cars more if they were like slot cars...they should turn up the volume to 11! They're too quiet! 

Edited by Draggon

55 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Something which only true gear-heads understand . Nothing beats the sound and feel of carbureted engine ( more wild when an oxidiser is added to the mix ) --- that's something that an electric --truly , motorised-- engine cannot provide , 8 second 1/4 mile not-withstanding .

So using fuel injection means you're not a true gear-head?  Gotcha.

400px-Tommy-ivo-t-bucket.jpg

But we all know what posers Tommy Ivo and Stu Hillborn were, right?

I'm just going to toss out the idea that maybe, real racers are more interested winning races than in what kind of noise they make.

53 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'm just going to toss out the idea that maybe, real racers are more interested winning races than in what kind of noise they make.

I think he was leaning more towards nothing like the sound an internal combustion engine makes, no matter how the fuel gets into it.

fast is fast, no matter what propulsion you’re using, but after 100 years of ‘hearing it’ go fast……

Edited by tbill
Added comment

58 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

To me, a true gearhead should appreciate anything that will make a car boogie, don't matter if it sounds likie a Hoover or a can or a tin can full of rocks as it idles past.

• Like 1

My preference in a car is manual transmission. It's not that I don't appreciate the flappy paddle shifters, but I find three pedals far more enjoyable to drive than an automatic or the paddle shift cars.

I guess technically, the same thing applies in the gas vs electric debate. Yes, the electric is faster, but how does it make one feel?

I still prefer gas engines over electrics, but this is the direction the auto world is going, and sooner or later everyone here will be driving electrics and arguing about which battery pack is better.

Most electric cars have to have torque limiting software incorporated into their electronics, otherwise you break the tires loose from a dead stop unless you feather the throttle like you're driving on ice.  Even back in the '90's when I worked for Chrysler, we had the TE-Van, and I got to drive several of them.  With the diagnostic scan tool hooked up, you could disable the torque limiting software and make the front tires smoke like you were doing a burnout at the strip.  The difference was, it was in a parking lot and the surface was bone dry!  Despite their with, the TE-Vans could really haul, but that would kill the battery life.  😁

I guess this is the future. Pretty impressive 1/4 mile times. Mr Don Garlits has a electric rail dragster. I’m a old school guy that misses a good 4 speed and the sounds and smells of gas. Heck I get into these new cars and have to sit there a few minutes to figure out how to start the darn things and put them in gear. Some have a round dial for a transmission, some have buttons. Boy do I miss the key days, 4 speeds and even the old automatics. Getting old I guess. 

Sometimes I think internal combustion engines are overrated.  :-) 

I've come to appreciate that in daily life, most car sounds are noise pollution.  I do love the sounds of vintage-built machinery at car shows and similar events, but for me there's a point when noise can be just noise.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Sometimes I think internal combustion engines are overrated.  🙂

I've come to appreciate that in daily life, most car sounds are noise pollution.  I do love the sounds of vintage-built machinery at car shows and similar events, but for me there's a point when noise can be just noise.  

Yeah, right on!  Especially a motorcycle with straight-pipes going by at full throttle at 3am!  Or really going by me at any time of the day. Loud pipes save lives?  Really?  Paying attention while driving saves lives.

I had a look at the new Mustang Mach E at a Ford dealership over here in the UK. Apparently it will.do 0 to 60 mph in about 3.5 seconds. Pretty rapid!   But the electric car did not look much like a Mustang should to me. Not the same as the 5 litre that was parked next to my boring MPV out in the parking lot!

It will be taking a bit of getting used to miles per charge instead of miles per gallon.

However, we have to accept that electric cars will predominate and take over in the future, and the change is happening already. Looks like the OPEC countries who produce nothing much other than crude oil will be in for a rough ride when their main revenues start to dwindle in the next few years.

😴 Can tell who is old here (me included).  I watched some videos of the Tesla Plaid drag racing exotics, and spanking them.  Saw that a brand new Plaid did a burn out, literally burnt to a cinder, the day after the owner got it.  Don't get me going......