Model Cars Magazine Forum

PMC '59 Ford Ranchero: From eBay to Mild Custom; Interior!

John Goschke

I've been working on this car for what seems like forever!  Here's how it looked on eBay...

spacer.png

A couple in-between steps, setting up the stance, using a '59 Edsel chassis...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's the current state; a full mockup in primer...

59RancheroMockup1.jpg

59RancheroMockup2.jpg

59RancheroMockup3.jpg

59RancheroMockup4.jpg

59RancheroMockup5.jpg

59RancheroMockup6.jpg

59RancheroMockup7.jpg

59RancheroMockup8.jpg

Finished the interior awhile back, after mixing in a '58 Plymouth steering wheel with the '59 Ford/'63 Galaxie XL mash-up. Mopar always had the coolest steering wheels! Also added a tube grill from a vintage Aurora Grill & Trim parts pack. Two chrome bullets from the original issue AMT '57 T-bird were added to the taillights for an additional custom touch. A Plastruct half-round strip molding was added to the tailgate to serve as a color-break between upper and lower body, and to give another touch of chrome. After noodling the body work, a coat of Tamiya White Surface Primer went on, followed by more body work touchups, then those areas received some spot priming with the airbrush. After a bit more body work and primer it should finally be ready for paint!

Edited by John Goschke

• John Goschke changed the title to PMC '59 Ford Ranchero: From eBay to Mild Custom; Interior!

Hi John, I saw this on the H.A.M.B. the other day and now realise I was totally barking up the wrong tree.  When I saw glimpses of coral coloured plastic I just assumed you had reworked a Revell Skyliner into a Ranchero - didn't know about the PMC version prior to your post!  

Anyhow, I love what you are doing and it will be very helpful for me in working out the proportions of my conversion. Cant wait t see it in paint!

Cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

“Styletone” was Ford's designation for the color scheme with a contrasting color on the roof and lower body. I've always liked that scheme, particularly in combination with white (Tamiya Racing White, in this case.) For my mild custom Ranchero it's combined with Tamiya Candy Lime Green over Tamiya Silver Leaf. I have yet to shoot the clear coat. Let me know what you think.

Incidentally, the scheme with a contrasting color on the roof only was called “Tutone.”

RancheroPaint1.jpg.728b6d8b8c7a7f5461a2b294df6fa0cb.jpgRancheroPaint2.jpg.2e8ff4782fa31242745ea4716739b4c4.jpgRancheroPaint3.jpg.f213807f2ca687db6e01bdd32ce453e4.jpg

I like the color combination and recall most of the Ford products would have the paint colors laid out in this fashion with the roof matching the lower body color. The great thing about the white color thru the middle is that white will go with just about any other color. Great looking interior and stance.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, Bainford said:

Nice looking Ranchero. I’m quite curious about this model. I never knew PMC. made anything like it. 

Thanks, Trevor.  PMC made '59 Ranchero and Country Sedan (wagon) promos, molded in acetate, in 1959.  They later released them without clear parts or interiors as basic friction-powered toys.  All of which turn up on eBay occasionally.