Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tiny chrome parts breaking

Maybe this has been answered, but I couldn't find a relevant topic. I did it again...trying to remove a thin tiny part of a pair off the chrome tree. I get the 1st one fine, then boom the second one is attached a bit more and it snaps in two. I swear. Then I try to fix it or just attach it broken. (I do this with wipers, tiny little badges or emblems, hood ornaments etc..)

How do others safely remove these? I've tried the sprue cutter, careful sawing with an exacto, and a pair of small but sharp scissor from a grooming kit. Doesn't really matter, 9 times out of 10 I break at least 1 it seems. 

It's so frustrating lol

The part you're trying to separate from the sprue needs to be on solid ground so that it's unstressed by your cutting tool. My favorite cutting tool for this is a single edge razor blade held at a angle like a guillotine blade. There's a reason why the guillotine blade was angled.

If in doubt, as in cutting clear parts from a sprue, or tiny parts, i use the hot knife.

Sometimes it helps if you cut a small section of the sprue (also known as runner, tree, frame) loose before you cut the gate to the part. The sprue is going to end up in the trash 99% of the time, so cut away at it if it helps you get the parts off in one piece!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

And while you're at it, a piece of masking tape on the back of the part before you cut the sprue will help keep it from flying off to who knows where.

That’s a good idea. I like making multiple passes with a sharp #11 exact o blade until the part gives in. 

An additional thing to try when removing chrome parts from the tree is to score both sides of the attachment point with a sharp #11 blade before actually clipping the part off. This will help weaken the attachment point and also cut the chrome so it doesn't get damaged somehow when you're removing it.  As mentioned it is better to free the part even if it leaves some of the material from the attachment on the desired part. What is left can be removed carefully to protect the chrome finish.