Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using an old Monogram 1980 Bronco kit from my stash, and some parts box items, I kit-bashed this little truck. As a '48 Ford body on an '80 chassis and intended for a group PROject, I titled it Pro4880.  Seats are also from the Bronco, bed is cut from the '48 kit with sides formed from sheet styrene, and the wood grain painted on. The grill support is from styrene tubing. Various parts items, photo etch, and nuts and bolts from various sources including ProTech from http://www.laskiscale.com/179564405_48809.thumb.jpg.30284fb26fbf12a2c7a406a2d5a1c9bb.jpg

4880 1.jpg

4880 2.jpg

4880 3.jpg

4880 4.jpg

4880 5.jpg

4880 6.jpg

4880 11.jpg

4880 14.jpg

SAM_1995-vi.jpg

SAM_2027-vi.jpg

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
picture cut into text

Thanks guys, 

Bill, I did the weld beads by taking two part epoxy and kneading it together, then rolling it out like you would playdough, creating a very thin 'string" of it. Once the appropriate thin string is placed it in the seam, I then used the edge of cut tooth pick to poke in the shape. Once hardened, I drag a pencil lead over the texture. I think I got the idea from a old Ken Hamilton "Tips and Tricks". 

SAM 2005

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

That looks pretty convencing to me Mark.  I like how you did the wood bed.  

Bob, I picked up that technique from an airplane/military modeler I saw online. I painted the bed with a water based Tamiya, once dry I took artists oils, I think burnt umber, and then splotchily painted it on top. Then I let it sit a few minutes, but before it was dry I took a flat brush that was dipped in white spirit to moisten it and drug the sticky oil paint over the top of the acrylic. You are almost pulling it all off, but it creates a nice multi layer effect.  

Very convincing looking model of some home brewed off roaders I have seen. The details are what really make it interesting to study. The realistic look of all the different surfaces are what catch my eye and I have a thing for hand painted wood beds like the way you did yours. Fun to just study each photo and see how you blended the two basic vehicles just like a 1:1 would be done. 

Impressive build. I love the concept and how you blended the two together. The detailing is just top notch and so realistic, the second photo had me really doubting this was a model. The wood grain came out beautifully. The build, the diorama, the photography, all very well done Mark.