Model Cars Magazine Forum

I love wagons. 1956 Plymouth Belvedere.

carbuilder1950

What a beauty David. As the others have said the paint and foil work is outstanding. The stance is perfect! I have fairly recently developed a “thing” for wagons, the old ones are just cool. Question for you, did you use the “paint over foil” technique for the Plymouth lettering on the hood? It looks great.

Cheers,Steve

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

What a beauty David. As the others have said the paint and foil work is outstanding. The stance is perfect! I have fairly recently developed a “thing” for wagons, the old ones are just cool. Question for you, did you use the “paint over foil” technique for the Plymouth lettering on the hood? It looks great.

Cheers,Steve

Hi @Steve H

I used paint on the hood lettering at the time I finished this. I didn't have a Molotow liquid chrome pen,

and the lettering molded into the hood wasn't good enough for foil work.

Now that I have a Molotow pen, I will use a tooth pick to re-letter the hood.

I use a small pair of needle nose pliers to remove the tip from the Molotow pen body, and then using the backside of the tip

which is sort of like a perforated holder of the chrome, I dab a small amount of chrome onto a small piece of plastic from that perforated holder,

and then dip my tooth pick in the chrome on the piece of plastic for the right amount. You just need a steady hand and some practice.

Hope that helps - Dave

Edited by carbuilder1950

Love it! Fantastic job in all respects! I distinctly recall the "station wagons" we had during my first childhood. In order of ownership they were, a Studebaker, a Ford Galaxie, and a Dodge Polara. When we'd go to the drive-in (this was in ancient times), we'd take a thermos of soda and bags of home-made popcorn and us kids would take over the back of the car. We had blankets back there, too, because we usually fell asleep before the third feature was over. 

9 hours ago, plasticprime said:

When we'd go to the drive-in (this was in ancient times), we'd take a thermos of soda and bags of home-made popcorn and us kids would take over the back of the car. We had blankets back there, too, because we usually fell asleep before the third feature was over. 

Ah yes  @plasticprime

Those "ancient times" are just full of memories. Not just for me,

but for my kids to, in the 70's, before drive-ins became a thing of the past.

Neighborhoods of families would gather in groups where cars weren't parked

and put blankets on the ground so all the neighbor kids could sit together.

Those were the days of a simple, but wonderful life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 7:01 AM, iamsuperdan said:

The world needs more wagons!

@iamsuperdan

"ABSOLUTELY" !!!

Funny how when we were younger we didn't appreciate these old "land barges"

at the time, but now we just can't get enough of them.

So grateful that the resin vendors gave us these works of art to not only make the hobby

better, but gave us back a piece of history and a piece of our past to enjoy the 2nd time around.

Dave

Wow! I love it! Brings back memories…….

My parents actually had two, brand new, 1956 Plymouth wagons, a lower trim level though- Savoy or something like that. Both 6 cylinders and 3 on the tree. The reason they had two was the first, light green colored, one didn’t make it thru the first year- total lemon. The second in quite ugly gray wasn’t much better. I remember the dashboard ashtray was quite crude and sounded like fingernails on a blackboard when you pulled it open. This was quite a disappointment from the excellent quality our 1954 Plymouth had, so it was back to Chevrolet for them after that. 

It's a great looking model, a lot of nice features, the open hood with the slant six and superb paint stand out to me.  I have good memories of the family station wagon and our own, thanks for posting.

I love all the comments about wagons from peoples past as children, and all the great memories they have to this day.

It's amazing to me how the past is such a powerful part of our lives, and can elicit such strong emotions and feelings.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Much appreciated 👍.

Dave