Model Cars Magazine Forum

Asphalt base

Just wanted to share a quick discovery I made somewhat by chance.

Turns out that the underside of an asphalt roof shingle works pretty good to replicate parking lot or roadways.

Also, when painting lines the texture gives it a realistic look.  

Lucky for me that my neighbors at the time constantly had shingles blow off of their roof.

Here are some examples from a model I did when I was just getting into auto modeling.  All the discolorations and stains came from nature.  All I did was paint the lines and create the parking blocks from craft foam.

IMG_20200628_200400.jpg

IMG_20200628_200432.jpg

What a great find!  I was wondering how to make a base just like this recently...I ended up shooting airbrush gray over a little piece of wood add adding crackle medium to have it start to break up a little:

1028737B-7CB4-448E-9C9A-A12CCC70787D.thumb.jpeg.3ece0dc72e396fbb3b1c8741bfb55abd.jpeg83C8D40D-4A5C-4DD5-8F41-9CEBF76FDD0F.thumb.jpeg.6e90ea8ce206be2464b6598f98950928.jpeg

That shingle is WAY more convincing though!  GREAT tip, thank you!

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Here it is sitting on the kitchen table.. a board sprayed with Floquil parking lot and road spray paint! 

Come on Tom,  I use Floquil fairly often, and even have their color chips booklets, and I have never seen the sell paints called "parking lot" or "road spray".  But whatever are the "real" color names, your base looks good too.

For another idea, I also use roofing material to represent asphalt.  It is a leftover piece of rubber roofing sheet.   What is nice about it is that it is larger (about 6 sq. feet) and it can be rolled up easily and taken to some place which will give me a realistic background (like an empty company parking lot on a weekend).

Gunze57eldoradoRear_zpsrpo7olul.jpg

Edited by peteski

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Come on Tom,  I use Floquil fairly often, and even have their color chips booklets, and I have never seen the sell paints called "parking lot" or "road spray".  But whatever are the "real" color names, your base looks good too.

9A4E5DE1-130C-4DD4-8711-6AE172416DF7.thumb.jpeg.4eded2235271228a2619cbc1db19454c.jpeg

Here’s the cans I have.. it was special diorama paint, sprayed thick with the speckled finish. They were for road surfaces.

I guess these are no longer available. A pity since it was an interesting product and both my cans are empty. I couldn’t find the black’s cap.

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Here’s the cans I have.. it was special diorama paint, sprayed thick with the speckled finish. They were for road surfaces.

I guess these are no longer available. A pity since it was an interesting product and both my cans are empty. I couldn’t find the black’s cap.

The black is likely the is standard black paint but the other one  . . . very interesting.  I never used any of their spray can paints (just the 1 oz. bottles), so that is likely why I missed it.  But I think I've seem similar speckled spray paints either at a hardware or a crafts store. 

1 hour ago, peteski said:

The black is likely the is standard black paint but the other one  . . .

No the black is speckled.. that’s what is on my photo board. I just lost the cap.

Unfortunately I don’t have anything sprayed with the concrete color. Originally my photo setup was a box with one color on either side. It got bent up and I did the board to replace is. The gray paint is done, otherwise I’d spray the back of my photo board!

CCD9430A-F278-4F05-BEF6-909640B46A65.jpeg.9d287efcbde4847942fbec831f8ae8cf.jpeg

Here’s the black, just as it sprayed right out of the can.

8713A4E8-F58C-41D7-B9A5-B8B8005F938D.jpeg.19311885232ba609affefdfe6b982032.jpeg

Here’s what the gray looked like.

6B357D8F-9D32-4531-B212-5F3963102413.jpeg.d62e7b17150c7db2117ab27d4c200180.jpeg

And here was my original stand. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about this material, and I think I would use it only as a temporary base; for photographing and such. I would be concerned about such an asphalt-based material having adverse effects on vinyl (or plastic) tires.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:17 PM, EngineerBob said:

Beans, great use of found materials. I've used sheet cork but then you still have to paint it skillfully to get the variation of colors that you got with just a shingle.

DSC04791.thumb.JPG.046b12fc57c7d9f64ea4109f355477ed.JPG

DSC04792.JPG

The cork base looks good.  The funny part is I was working on one (and by working on I mean, I was trying to repaint one that I made that looked horrible) when I discovered the shingle.

20 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Been thinking about this material, and I think I would use it only as a temporary base; for photographing and such. I would be concerned about such an asphalt-based material having adverse effects on vinyl (or plastic) tires.

Good point.  I have only had the model sitting on it for a little less than a year.  I haven't noticed any ill effects to date but will take a look at it tonight and see if I notice anything with the tires.  

36 minutes ago, Beans said:

The cork base looks good.  The funny part is I was working on one (and by working on I mean, I was trying to repaint one that I made that looked horrible) when I discovered the shingle.

Good point.  I have only had the model sitting on it for a little less than a year.  I haven't noticed any ill effects to date but will take a look at it tonight and see if I notice anything with the tires.  

I imagine it would take significant heat to heat up the shingle enough to damage the tire. Assuming the single was free of tar

Edited by MrMiles

On 7/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'll have to consider this.

They are re-roofing a Catholic church just down the street from us.

I could pick up a whole dumpster full of used shingles if I wanted. :D

Steve

Send me the contractor's phone number and I am willing to contact them to see if I can arrange to have the whole dumpster emptied directly into your front yard. Always ready to help out a fellow modeler out 🙂

On 7/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

They are re-roofing a Catholic church just down the street from us.

I could pick up a whole dumpster full of used shingles if I wanted. :D

Just be sure they are modern asphalt and not old asbestos roofing!  

• 3 weeks later...

Looking through this thread it is interesting to see the various ideas used... Now, I hope I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings, but for visual realism I think Beans’ upside-down shingle and Peteski’s roofing sheet are the best. EngineerBob’s looks really awesome too, but he admitted it was a more painstaking process.