Model Cars Magazine Forum

James Bond 1971 Mustang Mach 1

gjorenby

Did what I could with a very VERY disappointing kit.  Lots of custom work on this build.  This is AMTs "new" 007 James Bond 1971 Mustang Mach One kit.  Lots of inaccuracies and issues with the kit but wont get into that here.

• Engine bay and front chassis/steering/suspension taken from a '70 Boss 429 kit.  Rear 1/2 of chassis is from the AMT Bond Kit.
  • Scratch built engine bay braces
  • Correct 429 Cobra Jet engine/transmission from a Gran Torino kit
  • Added reservoir tank, battery, plug wires, ignition relay to detail the engine bay
  • Dual exhaust from Torino kit
  • Added seatbelts, if you look close you can see them hanging down from the roof as they do in the movie
  • Photo etch detail handles on interior tub and flock carpeting
  • Opened the two hood scoops
  • Filled in the cowl grill on the hood 
  • Lowered the rear view mirrors so more accurate
  • Added the radio antenna 
  • License plates are movie accurate and came with the kit (one of the few good things about the kit!)
  • My clear coating crazed a little so please pardon that
  • And I never found the correct 1971 2-spoke steering wheel so its still the '73 three spoke style

Enjoy and happy building!

20210317_170949.jpg

8F7A8706Final.jpg

8F7A8710Final.jpg

8F7A8714Final.jpg

8F7A8718Final.jpg

Extremely nice given what you had to work with and the extra parts you sourced to make a much more accurate engine compartment.  I see in the description if you also used the Torino exhaust system to replace the incorrect kit one. 👍

Edited by vamach1

I may reconsider purchasing one of these, yours looks great!

I've got a large parts inventory and probably could dig up enough to make similar modifications, you just gave me the inspiration to give it a second look. Being a Bond fan I probably would have ended up with one at some point anyway, but since HL has kits on sale this week perhaps sooner than later.

Edited by Phirewriter

• 3 months later...