Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Daddy's Outlaw

I'm working on this kit and the instruction tell me that parts 47/47A and 50/50A are not used, they appear to be some type of carb air scoops. So my question is, has this sprue tree {it also has the trophy and displays parts} ever been released in another kit?

Thanks

In the mid-Seventies, Revell issued the Outlaw without reference to Roth.  It was called Canned Heat and was molded in yellow.  Besides the air scoops, the Canned Heat version had different rear wheels and tires.  The alterations apparently made the car different enough to release without paying royalties to Ed Roth.

Revell issued an altered version of the Mysterion also, as the Dual Jewel.  Slightly altered body, no bubble top, zoomie headers on the outside cylinder banks, different nose piece, and a fuel altered style wing and roll cage.

20 minutes ago, Mark said:

In the mid-Seventies, Revell issued the Outlaw without reference to Roth.  It was called Canned Heat and was molded in yellow.  Besides the air scoops, the Canned Heat version had different rear wheels and tires.  The alterations apparently made the car different enough to release without paying royalties to Ed Roth.

Revell issued an altered version of the Mysterion also, as the Dual Jewel.  Slightly altered body, no bubble top, zoomie headers on the outside cylinder banks, different nose piece, and a fuel altered style wing and roll cage.

Thanks Mark, I did notice on the instruction sheet drawing that the rear wheels looked to be some sorta mag wheel. Good stuff to know, Thanks again.

I forgot about those scoops, thanks for reminding me!  I have a Dual Jewel kit, and also have two or three Outlaws (lots of good parts in those kits).  I might want to find a pair of the rear wheels and build a Canned Heat version.

Those rear wheels and slicks (similar ones at least) were in many Revell kits.  Early issues of the generic chassis gassers (Willys pickup, Austin, Henry J) had them, as did early issue '53 and '54 Chevies.

Forgot to mention, Revell issued a modified Tweedy Pie a couple of years earlier...the Rodfather.  Again, different wheels and tires, and they altered the intake stacks on the carburetors.  The rear slicks are literally an inch wide, and they threw in some nice custom decals.  That kit is hard to find unbuilt, and most seem to have been built or started by unskilled builders.  There are other variations on the Tweedy Pie, all are pretty neat on their own.

Last year I built a T-Bucket based on the Revell Hot Rod kit from 1986....which itself is a variant of Roth's Tweedy Pie. I've always liked those Canned Heat scoops and modified a pair of them to work with the dual quads I used on the small-block Chevy in my Corona T.

IMG_3754 copy.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg