Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow! Video of purchased collection!

Andy’s Hobbies in Arizona purchased a collection of over 1000 kits. This is part one video of a fraction of the stuff!

Does anyone know whose collection this was?  

I watched the entire half hour without moving!  To see follow up videos, they should appear below this video on the YouTube page.

Anyone else see their life flash before their eyes?! 😀

Yea, a lot of commons but the Johans are good. I only watched video one, and there was mention that this was just a fraction of what’s there. 

And there’s supposed to be a lot of resin.. the aftermarket stuff is good if sold at a discount.  Last time a local dealer had a collection I bought a whole fist full for $20

I watched this entire video, and my thought was that either the seller kept the really great, rare stuff for himself, or they haven’t come across it yet.

I was a little amused that when they finally found a box of really cool stuff, it was the second to the last box that they opened, and they just kind of skipped over it with little comment except for the fact that they had never heard of SMP!! 😳

Steve

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I watched this entire video, and my thought was that either the seller kept the really great, rare stuff for himself, or they haven’t come across it yet.

I was a little amused that when they finally found a box of really cool stuff, it was the second to the last box that they opened, and they just kind of skipped over it with little comment except for the fact that they had never heard of SMP!! 😳

Steve

I noticed that too. Except for the Johan stuff, not much in the way of earth shattering kits. They show the box of 50s Revell car kits, I hope they realize those are all 1990s reissues!

I also found it interesting that they swooned over kits that a lot of us , like Steve, Dave and I wouldn't look twice at yet treated the really rare , desirable kits like the early '60s original annuals like they just came off the Walmart shelf. 🤨

Lots of sale proof NASCAR, Vettes, and modifieds too. Hope there’s some good stuff in there. I don’t understand buying dupes save for parts kits or super cheap stuff I like. If I have 2, one is unbuilt and one is complete builder. I always forget to sell one. 
Office paper boxes are terrific and usually free. Can get 7-8 boxes in each. I scrawl on outside of box so don’t have to open stuff. Always update. Lol. 

Standard You Tube reveal video. Nothing Big so far but several kits that would North of 40 for sure. Considering the rumor that you get 3 to5 per kit with a large sale like this, he will get his money back but will take a long time too pedal them all. Some nice kits in the stash so far. The second video has a few more JO-Han kits.

I watched the second video and it really wasn't much more impressive than the first.

Of all of the models revealed, there were only a handful that were something worth sharing.

In one box, there was an SMP 1961 Impala convertible, a '68 Toronado and an MPC '66 Charger.

In another there was a bunch of X-EL mid 50s Oldsmobiles and Plymouths, and a box that was labeled as a built '64 Lemans, (which they never opened)

In a third box, a half dozen Johan Javelins, which was kind of cool.

The rest of it I would probably put out on the garage sale tables. :D

Steve

I've watched the various hype videos and and his friend have put out, and discounting the hype nature implying that the Ark of the Covenant was in this collection, the majority of what has been shown has been a snooze fest. Even the JoHan stuff looks to all be USA Oldies boxings which aren't THAT old and most have all the optional parts that were in the original 60s flat boxes long gone by that point. I remember those kits on the shelf at one of the hobby shops here in Pittsburgh as a kid - and my memory is about 20yrs younger than the guys who'd really want those kits.

I suspect the great majority of the things that might truly be interesting will disappear into the personal collection of Andy and other locals in Arizona, but that's the way of the world with these things. Here locally we have a few people that buy up old collections and the two car focuses clubs always get a "Member's First" look at the goods before they ever get to retail...

I have watched both videos and the most desireable kit I saw in the collection was the Jo-Han 1960 Oldsmobile Scenicoupe. The same box had 4 AMT 1959 annuals, but 3 of them were convertibles and I couldn't make out the what the stampings said on the ends of the boxes.

I think for people with really big stashes what they are showing is basically not a big deal, however the people like me that have built for a long time but never really had a stash until resent years there are a lot of kits there I would love to get my hands on including some of the Nascar stuff as I build them…

A good friend of mine, sent me a couple "tease pics"   ....(notice the '69 Roadrunners box art)....I didn't see any of those in their boxes......those were molded white & discontinued because Johan didn't pay licensing to use NASCAR labeling.     Mavericks...very hot item!

0704211243-1.jpg

0704211243-2.jpg

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Ooooo, look at all of these cool NASCAR and modified stocker kits!! (that are everywhere and nobody wants them) :rolleyes:

Steve

The Revell ASA short track kits bring good money...he had more of them than common NASCAR Cup kits.