Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow! Video of purchased collection!

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

How do I know that? Because I believe I stated - lemme check, yep I did - Andy's no idiot.  Nobody involved in this hobby who buys collections would ever buy one sight unseen without a complete and thorough inventory.  How else would you even know what to offer for it?  Beyond that without an agreed upon inventory, how do you keep someone who's selling you stuff from going - Yep it's all here *pats boxes* and the 50 most valuable kits are now AWOL - and nobody knows nothing about no case of '68 Coronets.  1,300 swap meet & NASCAR kits is a wildly different figure than 1,300 vintage promos and annuals.  He might not know exactly what kit is in exactly which one of those banker boxes, but he dang well knows exactly what kits are SUPPOSED to be in there in total.

Go read through the comment sections on these videos he and his friends are posting, and then tell me this isn't creating a whole slew of unnecessary drama.  Because people (at this point it's several people) normally suggest hobby shop owners hire armed guards to "Keep the trash from showing up and stealing all the good stuff"... 🙄 What trash? Who is trash in this scenario? These are model kits. not gold bullion.  They're all worth 69 cents to $20, like they were new unless someone is willing to pay more for them.  The calls to make it all into a museum, the jealousy, the petty bickering, the "1300 found models", the "model kit archaeology", the people thanking him for "Bring these kits back into the open" - like the poor schmoe who spent his life collecting them all was some evil doer who was destroying the hobby.  It's all low level made for YouTube drama that could have been skipped. 

Well, I'll tell you this, you are good at creating drama! Bravo! 

I'll call Andy's tomorrow and ask a few questions, will let you know what kind of Drama goes down. 

Sure is great living here in Phoenix, 100+ temp. and all.

Oh did i mention the several trips to Andy's these past two weeks ? Great stuff. Didn't get out the door without some great stuff each time. Like I said, great to live here in Phoenix.

Hmmm ? I've got some free time this afternoon.

About 10 years ago, Dave Burkett came to a friend's house here in California. Another friend and I went to see them and talked models for a couple of hours.  I asked Dave how he came up with an offer on a collection and he said it was very simple- he would count the kits and offer $5 per kit, But that meant he also took junk kits, partial kits, broken built ups and all that , along with the scarce sealed 50 year old treasures.

One of my friends passed away about a year ago and another friend bought his stash. My late friend had a habit of cutting up parts trees so he can get two kits in one box- and not necessarily two of the same kit, either. How many of us are guilty of that? The buyer now has to sort out all the loose parts and separate the kits. He has been at it for more than a year.  Sure cuts into the model building time.

I know a person who sold a collection of 1200 kits last November to a dealer for $15,000- an average of $12.50 each.  So if a dealer buys 1300 kits at $12.50 a kit, that is $16,250, and the seller probably wants cash or a cashier's check. How many of you can come up with that much money on short notice? A  dealer probably had to take out a loan for it. And then have the time for transporting, storing, and reselling all of the kits. The dealers are often enthusiasts, but also are in this to make a living. I think they should not be harassed for that. I don't recall Model Roundup, Spotlight Hobbies, or any other dealer sharing such a video, so thanks to Andy for that. 

• Like 1

I bought this lot about nine or ten years ago. When it was still cheap to ship international with usps. I found this add in Craigslist about models for sale. I called and talked to a very nice young lady. What it boiled down to was that it was her father's hobby and he had died from cancer. She was 18 at the time and her mom said she could keep the collection or sell it and put the money towards her college fund. She started selling the planes on ebay but became overwhelmed by it even though she did sell them. When I asked about what she had as far as car models, she wanted to know what I was looking for and she would look through the collection to see if it was there.  I said that I was interested in all of them. I heard her gasp,  and then verified that I said ALL? After reassuring her that I was serious,  she said she would give me a very detailed description of what was there, but it would take time. I assured her that was fine and not to stress about it. Three weeks later she called and said it was 400 unbuilt with a number of partial built/parts kits. I went and looked at them, then asked her how much she wanted for the lot. We worked out a price and that was that. Here is a pic of my Suburban packed front to back with the kits, just slightly higher than the bottom of the windows. Took out all the seats and even put them in the cubby holes in the floor. Not 1000, but still plenty, and a good portion were drag subjects, which were very popular with different European buyers on ebay when I sorted out which ones I didn't want to keep. 

1117121601.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 3:16 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

It can be.

But then again, age is often the culprit when it comes to brittle plastic.

Old kits from other manufacturers can often be brittle as well, and as we know, there are no new Johan kits. 😊

Steve

Steve, what causes a model to become brittle?   Does the way it’s store factor in?

On 7/12/2021 at 12:12 AM, Daddyfink said:

This is getting nuts for not good reason

I especially liked the part where the video boi said he's gonna look at the security videos and figure out who the thief is and when he does "God help you when i do find you" 😂

That's cute! You don't often get to see the faces of these internet tough guys!

7 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I especially liked the part where the video boi said he's gonna look at the security videos and figure out who the thief is and when he does "God help you when i do find you" 😂

That's cute! You don't often get to see the faces of these internet tough guys!

He'll post another 12 minute video on what he planned to do but couldn't for whatever reason! Like I said, this guy loves to hear himself talk.

I enjoyed those videos. From what I'm reading they're mostly common kits, but hey, I get excited opening the most dreadful and common of kits. I'd be ecstatic if I came into that many, no matter how common they were. Let the hype and drama continue cos I bet that hobby shop has had more publicity in the last couple weeks than it got in twenty years! It shows there's a big community of model builder out there, hopefully it'll inspire someone to start their own model hobby shop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Steve, what causes a model to become brittle?   Does the way it’s store factor in?

I don’t know all of the scientific reasons why plastic becomes brittle, but my assumption with styrene model kits is that time itself is the biggest factor.

Steve

Who cares? Apparently all of you do. It amazes me the things you guys decide to argue about here. Now I know you will say you aren't arguing, but are only pointing out the futility in it all. Welp, you are arguing, you have chosen sides and if someone from the other other side says something, you feel you must also reply with something. Everyone looking to get the last word in.  I think that could qualify as arguing. Some of you are impressed with all of this, some of you are jealous, some of you think you are above all these peasant dealings, some of you are mad because you can't go cherry pick the good kits, some of you are mad because you are nowhere near Phoenix, some of you just don't like some of the people posting in this thread. Better the kits, even if most are common, go to a dealer than to the dump. This is a brick and mortar store that now has a chance to survive a little while longer. Remember all those threads where you were mad the local hobby stores were few and far between. Remember how you said you would support your LHS before purchasing online. This was your chance to stay "way to go, I hope he makes enough money to keep the doors open". Was that brought up in this thread somewhere? Did I miss it?

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

Who cares? Apparently all of you do. It amazes me the things you guys decide to argue about here. Now I know you will say you aren't arguing, but are only pointing out the futility in it all. Welp, you are arguing, you have chosen sides and if someone from the other other side says something, you feel you must also reply with something. Everyone looking to get the last word in.  I think that could qualify as arguing. Some of you are impressed with all of this, some of you are jealous, some of you think you are above all these peasant dealings, some of you are mad because you can't go cherry pick the good kits, some of you are mad because you are nowhere near Phoenix, some of you just don't like some of the people posting in this thread. Better the kits, even if most are common, go to a dealer than to the dump. This is a brick and mortar store that now has a chance to survive a little while longer. Remember all those threads where you were mad the local hobby stores were few and far between. Remember how you said you would support your LHS before purchasing online. This was your chance to stay "way to go, I hope he makes enough money to keep the doors open". Was that brought up in this thread somewhere? Did I miss it?

Amen! I innocently started this disaster because I thought people might like to see a 1000 kit collection.  Silly me!

Some of us are just amused by the whole thing.

If it’s just a 1,000 kit collection that we want to see that nobody will have access to except for a few privileged individuals, there’s probably 50 guys that belong to this board that could make a video or two of themselves going through their own stashes.

If it’s the history lesson we’re seeking, I’m all for it, but this was just looking a little too much like an exercise in “look what I have that none of you will ever get”.

Steve

On 7/18/2021 at 5:46 PM, Xingu said:

Arguing? Jealousy and anger? Jealousy because no one lives in or near Phoenix area? Give me a break. No one really cares to be honest. I had even thought of emailing him to ask if he was selling any of the duplicates find online but decided against it. Andy probably already had made his own plans what to do regardless and we all know his loyal regular customers are getting first dibs on them. That's not fantasy, that's the reality of it. No one cares and that's strictly Andy's business decision. It's his right.

As far as supporting your LHS goes... I've always supported my LHS (as does everyone else) but you really need to wake up and take a good, hard, look around you. They are a dying breed EVERYWHERE coast to coast. Hell, even while on my family vacation I returned from last night, I couldn't find a single LHS in Cape Ann area where we were staying. Had there was one, I'd go and support him. I'll support any hobby shop if I find one wherever I've gone on vacations or day trips. They do appreciate the business when I talk to the LHS owners and inform them I'm on a family vacation. They love hearing this and are grateful. It gives them hope to stay open.

In my area, we had 3 or 4 at one point in the last 30 years, with the last one closed 4 - 5 years ago. It's not because nobody's giving him the business. Owners are getting older in their 70s and 80s and retiring with no one else to take it over.  Other reasons can be the area has gotten so bad and crime ridden it cost them too money to pack up and move elsewhere. So they close up for good and sell. K&K Hobbies is one I often frequented to closed down because the owner - whom we never see but his one and only staff runs it for him - decides to sell. I still miss going there to this day. 

The second video of the self claimed "model car kit expert" yammering and defending Andy's Shop only stirred the pot to the rest of us only made everybody's impression of him as an A-hole. Why bother? Unless he really loves to hear himself talk about the assumed "jealousy" by everyone of Andy's "biggest fantastic find". Andy isn't the only one who scored big on that "find". Oh, let's not forget he's going to play "cop" because Andy got ripped off and is determined to find the thief. How many LHS has gotten ripped off under the owners' noses in the past?

I've been to Andy's place, nice there is still such a thing as a brick and mortar HOBBY SHOP (not a Hobby Lobby).  Nothing different than what is always at the model swap meets, nothing I want. 😜  He didn't have to create a video to share with the world either.  There will be some happy campers.......

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I've been to Andy's place, nice there is still such a thing as a brick and mortar HOBBY SHOP (not a Hobby Lobby).  Nothing different than what is always at the model swap meets, nothing I want. 😜  He didn't have to create a video to share with the world either.  There will be some happy 

That was my point. I agree Andy didn't have to create a video but he should have ripped a new one into his so-called "vintage model car expert" friend for posting his blog rant video.

I have no doubt Andy's shop is a great shop to visit.