Model Cars Magazine Forum

JULY 4TH

John1955

I so much hope that as we celebrate this 4th of July that we keep in mind that it's not just about fun and games, or hot dogs and fireworks. There is nothing wrong with any of that as long as we also remember that many sacrificed their lives so that we could have what we have. On this major holiday, it doesn't matter what current politics are or what any religion says. Forget our differences for at least this one special day, remember that what we all have in common is far more important. 

I remember the July 4th holidays that I spent onboard my ship while serving in the U.S. Navy. Despite being a mighty military vessel (aircraft carrier), they were days when officers and enlisted mingled together like friends on the flight deck which was almost emptied of planes. We did have cookouts and we did stuff ourselves with good food, but we also read out loud the Declaration Of Independence, parts of the U.S. Constitution, the Gettysburg address by Lincoln and had dozens of American flags waving all along the deck. Interestingly, we had no fireworks at all. 

Even "the old man" (the Captain) joined in and on a carrier, even catching a glimpse of him was usually rare. I was so young back then but I understood the message very clearly. Some things still matter and always will.

5 minutes ago, John1955 said:

I remember the July 4th holidays that I spent onboard my ship while serving in the U.S. Navy.

First of all...!

Thank you Sir!   for your time served!!

Well said!  "....remembering the true meaning of the holiday."

...with all the "culture kill"....many of the youth have "No idea" the holidays true meaning. 😥 Sad indeed! 

Enjoy your Independence Day All!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Khils said:

First of all...!

Thank you Sir!   for your time served!!

Well said!  "....remembering the true meaning of the holiday."

...with all the "culture kill"....many of the youth have "No idea" the holidays true meaning. 😥 Sad indeed! 

Enjoy your Independence Day All!

Exactly. I dare not say any more.

The true meaning of our most important holidays has been lost for some time. It is not a recent phenomenon. Every holiday is just an excuse to sell something. Now it is multiweek events. What our founding fathers created was amazing and should be reflected on and we need to also reflect on those who have sacrificed to maintain our freedom.

11 hours ago, John1955 said:

I so much hope that as we celebrate this 4th of July that we keep in mind that it's not just about fun and games, or hot dogs and fireworks. There is nothing wrong with any of that as long as we also remember that many sacrificed their lives so that we could have what we have. On this major holiday, it doesn't matter what current politics are or what any religion says. Forget our differences for at least this one special day, remember that what we all have in common is far more important. 

...Some things still matter and always will.

Well said, sir.

Freedom Isn't Free - JP and Associates Realtors®

First off, thanks to all of you who serve, or have served in the past.

Second, I haven't seen it today, but you can find it easily enough in a search.  If you haven't read it, there is a story out there regarding the fates of some of the lesser known signers of the Declaration of Independence...it's well worth a read.  That's all I'll say...

My Great Uncle, Lost February 27 1942 USS Langley, He was 20 years old.

The day before they got the word my grandma,(his big sister) and his mother (my great grandma) saw him marching with his graduating class at Great Lakes on a news reel at the movies.

212074617_6059658927385293_7336423957867544846_n.jpg